Beno
Topic Author

Why So Obsessed With CO And Gordon Bethune?

Tue May 04, 2004 8:58 pm

Hi,

Just wondering why so many users are obsessed with CO and Gordon Bethune?

When you compare CO to all the other major airlines around the world (not just USA) they rank very low IMHO.

Anyone agree?

RE: Why So Obsessed With CO And Gordon Bethune?

Tue May 04, 2004 9:06 pm

Continental does have many great attributes. So does SQ. So does BA. So does NW. So does WN.

But, it's all the more compelling since many of the writers giving tribute to Continental admit they've never flown the airline.

Alpha 1

Tue May 04, 2004 9:08 pm

When you compare CO to all the other major airlines around the world (not just USA)

Not JUST the USA. Hmm. Interesting statement, since we're constatnly rated sa one of the better airlines IN the USA. I thik someone is jealous.  Smile

JMV

Tue May 04, 2004 9:12 pm

It isn't an obsession, but an admiration for an individual that was able to turn around a perpetual loser into one of the better airlines in the world. In addition to that, he is an articulate executive with a personality with which the "common man" can relate.
Google begins where my brain ends! ©

Tue May 04, 2004 9:12 pm

That whole other thread "Gordan Bethune comments blah blah blah" was just designed to (unsuccesfully) wind up some Airbus fans. He's good but nobody really thinks he's that great. Well maybe hardcore Boeing fans.

Leskova

Tue May 04, 2004 9:18 pm

I think it probably has to do with the fact that he's simply the most visible and audible of the US airline CEO's... the others rarely say things in the same, somewhat blunt, way that he does.

He's simply someone that polarizes - most will either love him or hate him, then again, quite a substantial number of those who hate him will also admit to him doing a great job at Continental.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

Beno
Topic Author

Tue May 04, 2004 9:19 pm

Being rated as one of the "better" airlines in the USA is nothing to brag about.

Alpha 1

Tue May 04, 2004 9:24 pm

That whole other thread "Gordan Bethune comments blah blah blah" was just designed to (unsuccesfully) wind up some Airbus fans.

The Airbus fans can take blame for that. Unfortunately, many Airbus lovers (and, when it's reversed, many Boeing lovers) simply cannot stand anyone who doesn't see the aviation world as they do, and can't come to terms that someone just doesn't want that product.

Gordo used to work for Boeing, so it shouldn't suprirse anyone with even a perephial knowledge of the man and his background, now he's feels.

Being rated as one of the "better" airlines in the USA is nothing to brag about.

Ah, spitefulness is so bliss, isn't it?

col

Tue May 04, 2004 9:28 pm

Many Americans do not travel as much as Europeans/Asians etc. We tend to stay in our own backyard, so doing a comparison on a global basis is difficult. Gordon has done a superb job turning CO around, with the help of a supporting workforce (although I am totally against his statement of last week regarding 380 etc).
Our Industry also got hit hard following 9/11 and a downturn, so many people needed a leader or a guiding light, Gordon is the only one out there, since Herb retired. David Neeleman will be our next God when Gordon takes over Boeing (sorry getting ahead of myself).
My own view is that the global quality of airlines is as follows:
Asian Carriers - 1
European - 2
Americas - 3
Once things pick up, I believe we could take number 2 spot, but it will be difficult beating the likes of SQ, CX, MH as their cultures are aimed more a customer service.

ND

Tue May 04, 2004 9:28 pm

Don't let his respect rating fool you all, this one is pretty ignorant...

...so ignorant to the point where I actually enjoyed my CO flight IAH-LGW more than my BA IAH-LHR...

...so much more ignorant to the point that many reputable individuals have given nothing but excellent comments about the airline...

...so much more ignorant that CO ranked in the Top 10 of Skytrack's Best Airline List, among all those other Asian and European carriers (although some of you don't seem to approve).
ND - Hated By Many, Confronted By None

caetravlr

Tue May 04, 2004 9:41 pm

I think that even in the eyes of some of us with a broader view of the world, Mr. Bethune has done good things at Continental. It is not my favorite airline or anything like that, but not one I would hesitate to fly. Considering that they have been in BK not once, but twice, and they are now one of the healthier of the old school majors in the US, that is quite an achievment. I don't idolize him or anything like that, but I admire what he has done, and his way with words. We are all entitled to our opinions.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

solnabo

Tue May 04, 2004 9:45 pm

Gordon and CO is typical "heatland/homeland" B-S IMO there days  Big grin

Michael//SE
Airbus SAS - Love them both

manni

Tue May 04, 2004 10:11 pm

A Boeing executive becomes the CEO of an American airline. What else would you expect from him, besides slagging of Airbus and praising Boeing when it comes to commenting on aircraft manufacturers?

As far as Continental concerns,... I've yet to come across more ignorant and rude cabin crew, and yes I've been on American, US Airways and Delta aswell. On a positive note, catering and cleanliness are miles ahead of dirty Delta.
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

STT757

Tue May 04, 2004 10:57 pm

"Being rated as one of the "better" airlines in the USA is nothing to brag about."

This may come as a shock to many people but the USA is THE LARGEST aviation market in the WORLD.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Tue May 04, 2004 11:00 pm

Yes well McDonald's is one of the largest 'restaurant' chains in the world but that doesn't make their food nice

ConcordeBoy

Tue May 04, 2004 11:10 pm

Being rated as one of the "better" airlines in the USA is nothing to brag about

I'd say it is. How well do you think Airline XXX would do if they were placed in the exact same situation?
(Ps. that was rhetoric, if you couldnt tell  Laugh out loud)

McDonald's is one of the largest 'restaurant' chains in the world but that doesn't make their food nice

...nor is Walmart's merchandise of the highest quality possible--
but exactly how adept are others at competing with either one?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

N737Af

Tue May 04, 2004 11:13 pm

Beno,

I really don't have anything to contribute here aviation-wise, so this post may end up being deleted, but you obviously have a huge chip on your shoulder. Getting to the point, I wanted to take the time to officially make fun of your user name.

Beano? Beano? It really is a fantastic product. I'm not sure you have it where you come from, but since you are full of a lot of hot air, you may want to invest in it.

Beano.
What a joke...

Out.

"Beans, beans - the musical fruit.
The more you eat them the more you toot.
The more you toot, the better you feel.
So eat beans at every meal...."

Hey people on this board make fun of fat, ugly, smelly and dumb people all the time. Here's to getting my shot.
Continental 450, contact Departure and have a Good Evening.

manni

Tue May 04, 2004 11:23 pm

N737AF,

You're profile reads that your an airline employee and that you're based in Houston.

Sour grapes?
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

hugojimenez

Tue May 04, 2004 11:28 pm

CO is definitely one of the best (or why not the best) airline in the U.S.. Nevertheless I prefer AA for many reasons (just one: more destinations and frequencies).

But compared with LH, AF, SQ, among many others, CO is just average.

artsyman

Tue May 04, 2004 11:47 pm

But compared with LH, AF, SQ, among many others, CO is just average.

Well as I have not flown Singapore etc, I cannot comment on them, but I have flown AF, LH, BA etc plenty, and in truth, I'd take Continental over most of them. The only advantage (if you can call it that) that the Euro carriers offer is that they do not charge for alcohol, and this just is not a factor in my travel.

Most of the time on longhaul I travel in business of first, most recently this was on AF, and I would say that I prefer CO over AF in both cabins.

J

ramerinianair

Tue May 04, 2004 11:59 pm

For me Gordo is a good picture in front of the CO label and hard working people! CO was almost destroyed by Frank Lorenzo, something similar but worse was executed by Carl Ichon to TWA and ultimately they couldn't recover because of things like the Ichon karibu agreement. Gordo rallied his troops and made some sound business decesions. It isn't always the person but if you surrond yourself with other smart businessmen and women, you and your COmpany will succeed. Gordo shook off the "old CO" view and re-invented them. They now have the most superior product in my eyes as far of any major in the US. They are reliable and clean, they have the best service in my eyes and great Customer Service.
I do have some gripes but for Gordo to help CO that much is great.
CO has a high price for FF upgrades and the seats for reward travel and up-grade travel are very limited. CO also has a higher price but you pay for what you get. I don't like to fly the 737 all over but from LGA and JFK you must use it to connect in IAH or CLE to another 737. I do travel into EWR for a 762 with PTVs and BusinessFirst though, which, is superior to LAX.
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

N737Af

Wed May 05, 2004 12:04 am

Actually yes, they were sour. White/green grapes tend to be that way.
I prefer the red grapes...not as bad, actually.

Come on Yanni, I was just trying to stir the pot.

I mean this guy comes out and says, and I quote,

"When you compare CO to all the other major airlines around the world (not just USA) they rank very low IMHO."

There are no facts to back this up and quite frankly it's a cheap shot.
I was just returning the favor.

Continental 450, contact Departure and have a Good Evening.

planemaker

Wed May 05, 2004 12:07 am

"Considering that they have been in BK not once, but twice, and they are now one of the healthier of the old school majors in the US, that is quite an achievment."

2 X BK is precisely why they are one of the healthier "old school." What UAL is doing now - cutting staff, cutting wages, re-negotiating debts, returning aircraft, simplifying fleet, etc., etc., etc., Continental did twice previously. BK is actually an advantage to the airline (but not to the employees nor creditors, obviously) as it gives them an opportunity to lower costs - and in Continental's case, twice. Unfortunately for US Airways, they didn't cut enough and came out too soon from BK. If they go back into Chap. 11, and survive, they'll just be pulling a Continental. More impressive is AA's BK avoidence.
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

aa777jr

Wed May 05, 2004 12:09 am

Could care less about CO and their CEO. They aren't that better than any other carrier, personally prefer AA and BA. Everyone is always talking about their dream job being the CEO of CO...very odd. I'd rather be saddled up on a B773-ER flying from ORD to LHR...IMHO!

Cheers!
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

artsyman

Wed May 05, 2004 12:11 am

CO has a high price for FF upgrades and the seats for reward travel and up-grade travel are very limited. CO also has a higher price but you pay for what you get.

huh?, which part of unlimited free upgrades do you not understand ?. Continental's policy for mileage upgrades is actually quite good, and reasonably easy to obtain. Where they seem to be a little thin is using mileage to acrue "free" tickets as opposed to upgrades. As far as fares, Continental is usually the cheapest option on most of the routes they fly

J

SR 103

Wed May 05, 2004 1:47 am

I fly CO a lot, and while they are not my favorite airline, they do a great job as a US carrier. Unlike some others here, I do prefer airlines such as BA, KL, and CX over them, but I would not have a problem flying CO anywhere, anytime. They are a good airline.

As far as Gordon Bethune goes, I have the utmost respect for the man. What he has done with Continental is truly remarkable. I think he is currently one of the best airline CEO's in the industry. It is a shame he won't continue after the end of the year.

SR 103

Beno
Topic Author

Wed May 05, 2004 8:13 am

N737AF,

I stand by my comment:

"When you compare CO to all the other major airlines around the world (not just USA) they rank very low IMHO."

And I think alot of users agree with me.

The reason I asked this question in the first place was to try and find out why so many people keep saying CO and Gordon Bethune are so great.

Thanks to those who answered my question.

YoungDon

Wed May 05, 2004 8:23 am

What major airlines would you be talking about?

I think they are probably the best US major. As far as internationally, I'm not sure, I actually like BA domestic better than CO domestic, but they are not an airline to be taken lightly. Somehow I get the feeling that you have some underlying issues with U.S. airlines that you need to resolve...

Beno
Topic Author

Wed May 05, 2004 8:29 am

Actually I like almost all the US major airlines and wish more of them would serve Australia/NZ. (Including CO 777s)

Wed May 05, 2004 8:30 am

Gordon Bethune has done a lot to turn around Continental, but then again, just about anybody could have improved on the situation Continental was in when he took over. While his actions were good, I don't like the man and think he's basically a blowhard anymore. Reading his book was several hours of my life I'll never get back, unfortunately.

YoungDon

Wed May 05, 2004 8:32 am

You like US Airlines, but yet being rated as one of the better ones is nothing to brag about...

okay....  Yeah sure

hugojimenez

Wed May 05, 2004 8:58 am

Well as I have not flown Singapore etc, I cannot comment on them, but I have flown AF, LH, BA etc plenty, and in truth, I'd take Continental over most of them. The only advantage (if you can call it that) that the Euro carriers offer is that they do not charge for alcohol, and this just is not a factor in my travel.

Most of the time on longhaul I travel in business of first, most recently this was on AF, and I would say that I prefer CO over AF in both cabins.

The alcohol is not a factor in my travel also. But compare CO with BA or LH...

Come on!!!!!!!!!! Use a little common sense!!!!!!!!

artsyman

Wed May 05, 2004 9:14 am

I fly BA all the time, I fly BA more than everyone else other than Continental, and do not find much of a difference between them. If the price of the ticket was the same, I would not choose BA over Continental. The food is the same, the entertainment is the same, the seats in general are the same in economy. Continental planes are cleaner, in general newer, and as said before, alcohol is just not an issue.

Lufthansa I don't fly enough to comment. I would not comment on an airline based on one flight, but as far as BA / Continental, I fly loads of flights year in and year out.

Jeremy

EMBQA

Wed May 05, 2004 9:28 am

Back to the question at had........ "Why so obessed with Gordon Bethune"

Why,...? Because the man is a hoot. Read his book, read some of what he has said. He shoots from the hip, says whats on his mind, saved an airline and most all who work for him love him. In a world of plastic people, 'fake' reality TV....he's a real person. That is why I like Gordon Bethune.

I still have a good chuckle about what he said on JetBlue when it was first getting started.... It has yet to come true, but time will tell.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

hugojimenez

Wed May 05, 2004 10:42 am

I fly BA all the time, I fly BA more than everyone else other than Continental, and do not find much of a difference between them. If the price of the ticket was the same, I would not choose BA over Continental. The food is the same, the entertainment is the same, the seats in general are the same in economy. Continental planes are cleaner, in general newer, and as said before, alcohol is just not an issue.

Lufthansa I don't fly enough to comment. I would not comment on an airline based on one flight, but as far as BA / Continental, I fly loads of flights year in and year out.

Jeremy

Definitely you are not the only one who fly quite a lot BA or CO. I do the same and I can say without hesitation that CO is overrated. I'll never be tired to say that CO is just an average (but once again, overrated) airline.

There is no point of comparison between CO and BA or LH. And if you (or anybody) compare CO with Cathay or Singapore, CO is zillion of miles behind them (in service, punctuality, aircrafts, whatever you say).

By the way, if everything seems to be the same between BA and CO, what's make greater CO over BA according to you? And why do you mean by 'I fly BA more than everyone else other than Continental"? (Sorry, but that is a bizarre comment of you).

Cheers.

artsyman

Wed May 05, 2004 10:52 am

By the way, if everything seems to be the same between BA and CO, what's make greater CO over BA according to you? And why do you mean by 'I fly BA more than everyone else other than Continental"? (Sorry, but that is a bizarre comment of you).

I never stated that CO was better than BA, I stated that I do not find a difference of note between them. As far as the comment "'I fly BA more than everyone else other than Continental", you read it wrong, what I am saying is other than Continental, BA is the airline that I fly the most often.

CO is zillion of miles behind them (in service, punctuality, aircrafts, whatever you say).

Service I agree Continental is behind Singapore etc, as far as Aircraft, I think the 777 is about as good as an aircraft out there, so I can't agree with you on that one. Punctuality, if you take like for like, and talk of longhaul, I'd like to see a statistic to support your claim that all those airlines are more punctual.

J

[Edited 2004-05-05 03:56:12]

hugojimenez

Wed May 05, 2004 11:23 am

I never stated that CO was better than BA, I stated that I do not find a difference of note between them. As far as the comment "'I fly BA more than everyone else other than Continental", you read it wrong, what I am saying is other than Continental, BA is the airline that I fly the most often.

CO is zillion of miles behind them (in service, punctuality, aircrafts, whatever you say).

You said what you wrote.

I didn't "read it wrong", I just simply read what YOU wrote.

Service I agree Continental is behind Singapore etc, as far as Aircraft, I think the 777 is about as good as an aircraft out there, so I can't agree with you on that one. Punctuality, if you take like for like, and talk of longhaul, I'd like to see a statistic to support your claim that all those airlines are more punctual.
You are the only one talking about a 777(?). I never did it before. So what's the point? Never talked about "statistics" also, but if you want me to prove what I said, you must prove first your following statement :

"Continental planes are cleaner, in general newer, and as said before, alcohol is just not an issue".

Do we have to understand from it that BA a/c's are dirtier than CO ones?

artsyman

Wed May 05, 2004 11:32 am

Do we have to understand from it that BA a/c's are dirtier than CO ones?

Interior wise, absolutely, I couldn't care less what it looks like on the outside. Look, you seem to have a bee in your bonnet over this, we can agree to disagree. In May I will fly approximately 41,000 miles on both carriers, and will re-evaluate and report back.

IAH-LGW-GLA-LGW-IAH-NRT-KIX-NRT-IAH-YVR-IAH-LGW-ALC-LGW-IAH

J

hugojimenez

Wed May 05, 2004 11:49 am

Look, you seem to have a bee in your bonnet over this, we can agree to disagree. In May I will fly approximately 41,000 miles on both carriers, and will re-evaluate and report back.

Oh yes Sir. I have more than one bee in my bonnet about this and many other topics, but not as much as you.

I will expect anxiously your re-evaluation and report (don't forget the statistics). And I will do the same and report also. Have a great flight!

Alpha 1

Wed May 05, 2004 12:01 pm

Those of you who don't like CO, or don't like Gordon, you really make me laugh. Not because you have your own opinion, because that's your God-given right. I happen do think Gordon is fantastic, and has done a marvelous job here at CO. And I think we give very good, very consistent service to our customers.

But what gets me is your attacks on those who really like CO, and really like Gordo, like we've committed some sin.

CO tries to deliver 3 things: on time, a clean plane, with your bags. I've never been one to look at flying as some other-worldly "experience". I use it, the few times I do fly, to get from point A to point B. I've never had a bad flight on CO. I have had bad flights on HP, on UA, on AA. Does that mean they're horrible. No, it means, those times, something wasn't right.

If you don't like Gordo or CO, and if you can't appreciate where we were 10 years ago, to where CO is now, then don't beat up on us who think we're a good airline.

ltbewr

Wed May 05, 2004 12:25 pm

As I have noted in related topics, Bethune is a flying enthuist. He grew up around airplanes with his father's company. He worked on a/c for the US Navy and airlines. He has a pilots license, even able to fly a/c CO uses until recent years. He has spent his life around a/c and airlines. He has some 'street smarts' in running an airline. He has good common sense as to the customer. He is a good leader to his employees. CO is probably average as to the World's airlines market, but has a rational fleet, reasonable prices, clean well run a/c, ops at convenient airports (only a few flights at LGA, none at JFK, most in NYC area at EWR). Runs routes that his customers want or need and make money on. He has a personality, like Herb Kellerer at WN. He speaks frankly, although sometimes a bit too frankly, and many people like that. How many Airline CEO's/top executives even have a flying license? how many really care about flying rather than only money? How many care about the customers, stockholders and workers?
This is why so many of us here respect and praise Bethune and CO.

artsyman

Wed May 05, 2004 12:32 pm

only a few flights at LGA, none at JFK, most in NYC area at EWR

While I agree with, and enjoyed your post, I thought I'd add that Continental does have flights in and out of JFK from IAH.

Jeremy

Alpha 1

Wed May 05, 2004 12:38 pm

none at JFK,

CO/COEX serves JFK from IAH and CLE.

COfaninBOS

Wed May 05, 2004 1:08 pm

The reason I like Gordon is because he's a straight shooter. I'd love to have a beer with the man and pick his brain because you would never have to doubt his true intentions. He makes those clear. That's refreshing and so very Texan-like. He's the perfect fit at CO.

Additionally, I used to fly with AA, DL, UA, WN, and HP quite a bit. However, once I started flying CO more frequently, I quickly noticed a difference. Now that I am loyal to CO and the airline is loyal to me, I will never fly another US based carrier if I don't have to.

I've flown CO flights on average about 30 times a year for the past 6-7 years. In that time, I have never had a flight cancelled. I have never had my bags lost. I have been thanked pre and post 9/11 for flying CO. I have never encountered a dirty plane.

It's the simple things that matter to me when I fly unless it is a LONG trip (upwards of 5 hours) and CO does the simple things well. Additionally, my BizFirst experiences (IAH to LGW, IAH to HNL, IAH to GIG, and GRU to IAH) have definitely equaled comparable service on JL, BA, AF, CX, NW, and the old Viasa.

hugojimenez

Wed May 05, 2004 2:49 pm

CO tries to deliver 3 things: on time, a clean plane, with your bags.

Not only CO but many other airlines (maybe more than you think) do these things and many more, and don't loose $124 millions just in the first quarter.

artsyman

Wed May 05, 2004 3:16 pm

Not only CO but many other airlines (maybe more than you think) do these things and many more, and don't loose $124 millions just in the first quarter.

Unfortunately for you, the full year results are what matter most, and like last year, Continental will post a full year profit.

J

mark777300

Wed May 05, 2004 3:28 pm

Before anyone gives too much credit to Gordon Bethune, let's not forget to mention all the hard working individuals who work for CO who make it what it is today! So Bethune helped CO get out of the muck, my complements to him, but he's not god of the aviation world. Didn't care to much for his comments on jetBlue and their future. We'll see what he says about them when down the road B6 is categorized as a major carrier by the FAA and becomes the next success in the commercial avaition world!

artsyman

Wed May 05, 2004 3:47 pm

Before anyone gives too much credit to Gordon Bethune, let's not forget to mention all the hard working individuals who work for CO who make it what it is today!

While I suppose it is a little odd for me to post this, but Gordon has to take more credit than the employees for the turnaround. The employees are the same ones that were here when he got here, he just got more out of everyone, and made it a better place to work.

hugojimenez

Wed May 05, 2004 9:56 pm

Unfortunately for you, the full year results are what matter most, and like last year, Continental will post a full year profit.

I'm not unfortunately since I don't have any financial interest in CO, so I don't care about of their financial situation at the end of the fiscal year. But I wish for the best of CO that you will not wrong in your premonitions. Will see the final statistics  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Alpha 1

Wed May 05, 2004 10:12 pm

Before anyone gives too much credit to Gordon Bethune, let's not forget to mention all the hard working individuals who work for CO who make it what it is today!

Gordon is the first one to give us credit, Mark-he ALWAYS states that it's our hard work that makes us a good airline. He and Greg Brenneman put together the plan, but without it's execution, a plan means nothing. Trust me, he's always singing the praises of my co-workers.  Big thumbs up