BNE
Topic Author

Books On Eastern Airlines

Tue May 04, 2004 10:57 pm

I have just finished reading the "Skygods: The Fall of Pan Am", so now looking for another book to read. It was an interesting read with the outcome being known from the start, so it was interesting to see how it fell or got taken apart over the last 15 years of its life.

Now I am looking for a book on Eastern Airlines.

The one I have come across so far is Grounded: Frank Lorenzo and the Destruction of Eastern Airlines, any opinions on this book or other books on Eastern Airlines. According to the Amazon reviews the book doesn't cover all the way to the shutdown.

The last few threads on Aviation related books and there wasn't much mentioned on Eastern Airlines, it seems at the when the company was shut down, all the history went with it as well.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1177075/

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1146905/

Interesting there is not much to read about Eastern Airlines on the web, this being one of the few online references.
http://www.pbs.org/kcet/chasingthesun/companies/eastern.html
also
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/ has some good information from time to time.  Smile

It lucky that is around so that these books readily available either new or second hand. Only problem is as I am starting to run out of book space.

Why fly non stop when you can connect

FlagshipAZ

RE: Books On Eastern Airlines

Tue May 04, 2004 11:21 pm

Two books on Eastern that I recommend.
From the Captain to the Colonel. Author Robert Sterling.
Eastern-an airline & its aircraft. Author R.E.G. Davies.
Both are good reading. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

goingboeing

Tue May 04, 2004 11:24 pm

Try reading Frank Borman's Autobiography "Countdown" (written with Robert Serling -one of the best airline historians ever). About half the book is devoted to his time at Eastern, leading up to the sale to Lorenzo.

Another good one about the early years is also by Robert Serling called "From the Captain to the Colonel".

pbiflyer

Wed May 05, 2004 12:42 am

Eastern - A Great Airline and Its Aircraft is a great book covering the history of Eastern Airlines. Great pictures of many of Eastern's liveries over the years. You can't find this book at places like Barnes & Noble or Walden Books. A good source is airlinersonline.com. The book sells for $34.95 plus shipping.
PBI is South Florida's BEST airport!

dtwclipper

Wed May 05, 2004 2:48 am

Free Fall: The needless destruction of Eastern Airlines and the Valient Struggle to save it

Jack E. Robinson

Harper Business Press (Harper Collins), New York 1992
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

airways6max

Wed May 05, 2004 6:52 am

I've got a pictorial history of Eastern Airlines. It's titled "Eastern: An Airline & Its Aircraft" and it's by R.E.G. Davies.

The decline of Eastern really began in the early 1960s when it ordered turboprop aircraft instead of jets. It was also hampered by a route structure that consisted mostly of short-hop routes that generated little revenue. When American put the 707 into service in 1959, Eastern only had the Lockheed L-188 Electra to compete with. So Eastern was stuck with a fleet of obsolete aircraft. This cost the airline and as the 1960s and '70s wore on, Eastern continued to struggle and lose money. It was hurt by the '73 Arab oil embargo and Deregulation, as well as the lousy economy of the '70s and early '80s. Frank Lorenzo was certainly no savior for Eastern and he hastened its demise, but in fairness to him, he inherited a mess of an airline.

Alitalia7e7

Wed May 05, 2004 9:22 am

BNE. Where did you buy that book from. I would love to read it. I am from Sydney!!!!!! Any book shops????