Andreas
Topic Author

FRA Spotters: Visitors Terrace To Be Closed

Fri May 07, 2004 5:31 pm

This has been mentioned before, but there's some additional bad news for Frankfurt Rhein Main International spotters  Sad

Spoke to a Fraport guy lately and currently it looks like the closedown of the T1 visitor's terrace this autumn will be a permanent one. They are looking for an operator to take over but it doesn't look good at all. T2 terrace will also remain closed.

So go there while it's still open and have fun.
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

fraT

RE: FRA Spotters: Visitors Terrace To Be Closed

Fri May 07, 2004 5:45 pm

Thanks for the info, Andreas.
It's really too bad.
I still have hope for a spotter friendly solution.

Andreas
Topic Author

Fri May 07, 2004 5:53 pm

I wish I could have posted better news.

But then there's still the spotter's points at the A 5 (can be reached by S7 from main station, get out at Zeppelinheim) and close to Runway 18 West!

[Edited 2004-05-07 10:54:51]

aeroyu

Fri May 07, 2004 6:49 pm

Do somebody know why they close both terrace?
Kai Tai - I missed you so much

Andreas
Topic Author

Fri May 07, 2004 6:59 pm

T2 has been closed since 9/11 and never reopened, T1 will be closed because of ongoing construction: Directly below the terrace are LH's Senator and FT Lounges, these are being modernized/extended etc. (There are already building activities going on.)

Besides it looks like Fraport losses money keeping the terrace open, that's why they are looking for a private investor, but again, it doesn't look good.

QANTAS077

Fri May 07, 2004 7:03 pm

T2 deck was closed because US carriers insisted it be closed after 9/11 or they would not fly into AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA. i heard rumours about the T1 deck being shut down last month when i was in AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA.

it will be turned into a new LH lounge from what i understand.

fraT

Fri May 07, 2004 7:12 pm

Hard to imagine how they are loosing money with the platform. There's not too much staff there and it usually attracts quite a lot of visitors.
So I rather think they want to earn more money in another way with this space.
Again too bad. I like the A5 spot but will miss the terrace.

9V-SPF

Fri May 07, 2004 8:22 pm

That´s really bad news.
Although the terrace has been constantly going down the drain during the last few years (constructions taking an eternity, trash not being removed, staff being rude), it is still a great place to chill out on a sunny day enjoying the great vaiety of aircraft at Frankfurt.

I really really hope for a proper solution to be found for us aviation geeks at Frankfurt. Reopening the T2 terrace seemed to be like a very attractive alternative, sad to hear it has been ruled out.  Crying

Daniel

Udo

Fri May 07, 2004 8:58 pm

It's ridiculous that US operators wanted the T2 terrace to be closed...there had always been a security check at the entrance - are they afraid that some Arabs or evil Germans or whatever might throw chewing gum at Delta's ugly livery? What a BS...

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

Andreas
Topic Author

Fri May 07, 2004 9:03 pm

Udo,
Fact is, T2 is closed since 9/11...feel free to provide another explanation!

I don't know another one (I didn't even know this one), but I can see the closed-down terrace about 3 times per week.

fraT

Fri May 07, 2004 9:11 pm

It shouldn't be a problem to reopen at least a part of the T2 terrace and move the gates of the U.S. carriers to this part which is not directly below the opened terrace.

na

Fri May 07, 2004 9:23 pm

Thats really sad.
Idiots everywhere. Airports do everything to kill aviation enthusiasm nowadays. That terrasse was always crowded.
The explanation that LH wants to enlarge their chaotic T1A facilities sounds plausible, but nevertheless it will clutter the LH terminal even more. For example if you have to fly to Britain you have to walk through a maze to get through to your plane. Its easily possible to walk a whole kilometer inside that bloody terminal. Ridiculous. Its more comfortable to take a cheap flight from T2 or T1C than to fly business with LH because of these long walks they force you to.

Andreas
Topic Author

Fri May 07, 2004 9:35 pm

Why T1A? Last time I checked the terrace was on the roof of T1B...directly above the FT/Senator lounge, which is getting refurbished.

na

Fri May 07, 2004 9:43 pm

Sorry. You´re right.
I got confused. Have had lots of stress via T1A recently and was hoping they would do something there.

Andreas
Topic Author

Fri May 07, 2004 9:48 pm

Actually you're right, T1A is extremely long, and usually when I arrive late, it's safe to say I get A42 or so, but at least all the gates are easy to find, whereas T1B...well...even after 7 years of regular flying from Frankfurt, I have to pay attention where to walk, T1B is totally confusing. But I'm afraid nothing will change there (except that bloody terrace...I'll miss that one).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos