Logos
Topic Author

Whatever Happened To DUS?

Sun May 09, 2004 3:33 am

Sorry if this has been discussed recently, but I couldn't find it via a search.

Somehow I missed the timing and rationale (though I'm assuming cost/yield) behind LH scaling back its DUS trans-Atlantic operations. When I lived in Berlin, I connected several times through DUS (including when the terminal was shutdown following the 1996 fire when a hangar was the makeshift terminal) and the flights were always full or near-full. Now I see where LH's only flights are business class on A319s to EWR and ORD (sub-contracted by Privat Air).

So, when was it scaled back and what drove the change? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando
Too many types flown to list

fraT

RE: Whatever Happened To DUS?

Sun May 09, 2004 3:53 am

The problem is that DUS is too close to AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA and AMS. The new high speed trains connect people from the DUS area to AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA in less than 90 minutes so LH had no need to keep a third "hub" in Germany.

ushermittwoch

Sun May 09, 2004 4:05 am

DUS also lost intercontinental flights, at least the non-charter ones, after 9/11. Namely CO and UA.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

fraT

Sun May 09, 2004 7:05 am

CO never made money in DUS. So they used 9/11 as a reason to close the DUS station.

dutchjet

Sun May 09, 2004 7:19 am

DUS has lost its scheduled transatlantic flights due to its close proximity to AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA, LH's focus on it AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA and MUN hubs, the high speed train service available from DUS central station directly to AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA (also available from Cologne) and the power of code-sharing and alliances.

CO's flight to EWR was cancelled after 9/11.....the route was difficult for CO after it lost a key contract that filled up many BF seats at good prices, after that loss, CO tried operating the route with a 752 which did not work for several reasons including range limitations - when the route was cancelled, CO stated it was because of aircraft allocation issues (the DC10s were being quickly retired and the 767/757 fleet was being redeployed) but the real reason was the route was no longer making money. CO can now route DUS bound pax via AMS due to the CO/KL alliance.

UA had service from DUS to ORD and then later from DUS to IAD, both in conjuction with Star Alliance partner LH.....but service was cancelled due to the downturn in transatlantic travel after 9/11 and is unlikely to return. DUS passengers are now routed via LHR or AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA. I also think that AA offered a DUS-ORD service prior to UA entering the market.

Aside from business flights offered by LH, LTU flies from DUS to MIA on its A332s.