greatansett

Airlines You Dont Fly And Why?

Sun May 09, 2004 10:39 am

What airlines do you avoid completely because of service etc?
I avoid:

United Airlines ( terrible service, always late )

Air Canada ( terrible service, always late )

Virgin Blue ( Very rude F/A's)

British Airways ( Delayed for up to 48 hours, 19 hours at the airport alone without any apologies)

American Airlines (terrible service, always late, very rude F/A's)

Im sorry if I offended any of the staff who work for these airlines but these are from experiences I have received.
Ron Paul 2012

NIKV69

RE: Airlines You Dont Fly And Why?

Sun May 09, 2004 10:42 am

I avoid B6 because I am partial to Boeing. That is about it. GO CO!!!

Bethune 2004!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

leviticus

Sun May 09, 2004 10:44 am

Air Albania - Already been to Albania once and I do not feel like going back in a while...

cx123

Sun May 09, 2004 10:47 am

SU - Unsave and I don't like or have a need to goto Russia
AI - Smells, Dirty
Ryanair - uncomfortable

Dazed767

Sun May 09, 2004 10:50 am

Wow what a thought provoking post this is.  Yeah sure

Are these based on one bad particular flight you had Ansett? Delayed for 48 hours....and this happens everyday I'm sure  Big grin At least give a valid excuse!

deltaffindfw

Sun May 09, 2004 10:53 am

I don't fly WN - why? Only because I fly every week and always more than one state away, so I have to fly out of DFW.  Sad If the Wright Amendment was gone, I might fly them every so often, but I am partial to first class for long trips  Big grin

Aerosvit

Sun May 09, 2004 10:53 am

I don't avoid anything! I would fly anything with anyone. I would fly afghan airlines...if there is such an airline...just to experience it. I once asked my parents if they would fly EgyptAir to Cairo. They of course said no way but I would. I think I should mention that I asked them that after the 767 crashed in the Atlantic...opps.  Wow! . But seriously...anything will do. I mean...I would guess all airlines are working to fly safe...they want to life also. And if we do crash, meh, guess we crash  Wink/being sarcastic

For your viewing pleasures...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alex F.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alfandari

Clava Ykraini

DfwRevolution

Sun May 09, 2004 10:54 am

I avoid them as much as possible, but I am stil very bitter at AA.

The legal BS they pulled in court crippled Legend Airlines from Day 1, then the Premium service aboard the Fokker F100s finished them off. They destroyed a great, original product that was no threat to AA.

If AA can only survive in DFW/DAL by crippiling its competition with the Wright Ammendemnt, they don't deserve to be in business IMO. So I will make my humble protest and send my business elsewhere.

airways6max

Sun May 09, 2004 10:55 am

When TWA was around, that was one airline I avoided like the plague, after being delayed up to six hours.

Nowadays, I figure just about everyone is equally good/bad.

uadc8contrail

Sun May 09, 2004 11:13 am

greatansett,
part of your name is my all time hated airline hp is a close 2nd. you know why virgin blue is bad????its because all the ansett people went to virgin blue.my 2 centavos....great thread
bus driver.......move that bus:)

WidgetBoi

Sun May 09, 2004 11:54 am

Virgin Express is the only airline that I can think of that I'll never fly again!!!!! After my flight to London Heathrow was cancelled, the agents put all of the passengers on the next flight (which happened to be the last flight of the day) EXCEPT me because I was flying on a SkyMiles Award ticket and then refused to put me up in a hotel because my itinerary was booked through another airline. To add insult to injury, the agents charged me twice for my overweight luggage and then proceeded to lose two of my four bags.

When I finally got on a flight, they ran out of beverages (Virgin Cola of course!) by the time they were finished serving the sixth row - it was inexcusable!

The ONLY pleasant experience was getting a cabin attendant's phone number  Big grin Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to call  Sad

Avoid Virgin Express if you can  Big grin

jeremy

[Edited 2004-05-09 05:05:14]

skymileman

Sun May 09, 2004 11:58 am

Any commuter flight operated by Mesa is first because of their awful delays, terrible service and rude, unprofessional employees. United used to be, but I must hand it to them that they have improved greatly.

Caymanair

Sun May 09, 2004 12:05 pm

American Airlines is by far the worst airline I've ever flown. I've done about 4 r/t in the last two years (i travel between 12 and 18 r/t per year) and they were rude and they lost my baggage twice. I also dont like them for their 'evil' business pactices.

Jet-lagged

Sun May 09, 2004 12:15 pm

China Airlines (flag carrier of Taiwan) and Korean Air - for
safety. They ave been taking measures to improve, but such impressions take a while to change. Also avoid Air China (of China) - China Southern and China Eastern as better. Otherwise, I avoid airlines and airfares that don't pad my frequent flyer accounts!

Arcano

Sun May 09, 2004 12:23 pm

Hi

As Aerosvit said, I think every airline is worth to fly just for the experience.

Anyway, although this altruistic though, I think I would be affraid all flight long it I tried:
Aerocontinente
Cubana
The first is because I do not trust in Aerocontinente, their maintenance, their origin, their financial situation, the permissions. NOTHING Really. It seriously compete for the worst airline ever.
Cubana, because of those old USSR a/c, and I even don't know if their manufacturers still exist, or Cuban embargo pays for that.

Anyway, I would fly CU a million times over Aerocontinente.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Aeroview Zurich/Worldwide
View Large View Medium

Photo © Nacho Piédrola - IBERIAN SPOTTERS

Saludos, )(Arcano
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

ua777222

Sun May 09, 2004 12:30 pm

Altalia(maybe spelt right)
Lets just say a few Italians pissed me off on a flight.

AA
Very very very very nice seats and flight deck crew but f/a said she would call the sky marshal for standing to allow family to get in during meal service. (and their 757's are in s--- condition)

Thats about it.

UA777222

(GREATANSETT you didn't offend anyone I think it's like the Boeing vs. Airbus people here, they are for it or not. Great topic indeed)
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

N754PR

Sun May 09, 2004 12:31 pm

Any major US carrier as the service sucks.

Virgin as there is no legroom

Koeran, China Airlines and Singapore as I just dont trust them and they have all shown how bad their cockpit crew are.
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

Type-Rated

Sun May 09, 2004 12:35 pm

I don't fly CO. I had a major problem with them back in 1981 (at the time of the TI/CO merger) and I told them "I will never fly your airline again", and they said that they could care less. I have kept my promise to them.....

Celebrating 23 years of not flying CO. I would rather walk! I will admit that I have a few freinds that are flight crew members with CO, but I still won't take CO.

I have related the story of what happened here in previous posts.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Cory6188

Sun May 09, 2004 12:39 pm

CO has completely changed since 1981. I don't think that you're being fair in not giving them another chance. The CO of 1981 is essentially a different airline from the CO of today.

I didn't like B6 the first time I flew them, but it doesn't mean I won't give them another chance in a year or two.

greasespot

RE: Airlines You Don't Fly And Why?

Sun May 09, 2004 12:47 pm

Yeah I would fly anyone and on anything....Hell if they put a set of wings on a school but and told me it would fly I would.......

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

Type-Rated

Sun May 09, 2004 12:57 pm

Cory6188:

Actually, I know you are right. But I think the promise I made to them has taken on a life of it's own. The people involved are most likely no longer with the company, and I really should try them again sometime.
What's ironic is that I myself fly in and out of IAH all the time and you can imagine how many CO planes I encounter on the taxiways, aprons, etc.  Wow!

Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

SHUPirate1

Sun May 09, 2004 1:14 pm

Darned Employees Lie Through Afternoon...

Seriously, I refuse to fly Delta for one reason and only one reason: their customer service, including seemingly every single employee I have ever come in contact with (a small slice of the company, but as my mother simply goes for the cheapest fare, and that is often DL, I'm forced to fly them) is abysmal and rude...my mother can put me on Delta with her money, but if I have to spend the buck, you can bet that it'll go to United or US Airways first and second (in either order, preferably UA first, although I accrue Dividend Miles rather than Mileage Plus Miles due to US' extensive east-coast network), American after that, and then any airline that isn't Atlanta-based...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

kevin752

Sun May 09, 2004 2:32 pm

I would never fly Martin Air again. I did not like the way thier planes were set up inside, thier food sucked, their CSR's and f/a's were soooo rude to the passengers and the entertainment wass terrible. Other than that I have no problem with other airlines so far.
Kevin752
"Keep Climbing"

greatansett

Sun May 09, 2004 3:00 pm

Ssides Im over the fact that Ansett is not around anymore, when did I refer to Ansett? Stop making such a fuss about nothing, OH SORRY, your properly so narrow-minded that you can't help yourself.

Uadc8contrail I flew Virgin Blue 3 times before the ansett demise, properly with all the ansett staff that has come over they might of improved.

Ron Paul 2012

L1011Lover

Sun May 09, 2004 3:03 pm

Ryanair, Easyjet... and all carriers alike!!!

I just don´t want to support them, while in the first place they of course do hurt legacy carriers like the one I fly for and also these airlines have absolutely no class or style and I don´t want these jokes of airlines to ruin the entire airline business and famous, well-known and traditional carriers!

Okay, now someone could say, well they offer airtravel at a reasonable fare for almost everybody! That might be true, but to be honest and hopefully without sounding arrogant, I really don´t want "EVERYBODY" to fly, if you know what I mean!

I´ve heard a lot of horror stories from a good friend of mine, who until recently took Ryanair quite often and frequently about the "flair" in the cabin on Ryanair flights and certain disgusting passengers!!!
Don´t get me wrong, that does definetley not mean that a full fare pax on a legacy carrier never acts disgusting, rude or maybe even totally unacceptable, there are a lot of them out there, but I guess that on LCC´s (at least the European ones with fares like €00,01,- plus tax) it is probably more likely to happen!

Well my friend doesn´t have to take Ryanair any longer because I promised to offer him buddy-passes wherever he wants to go, in return he had to promise to never again take a LCC... lol !!!

Sorry, to all LCC Lovers and Enthusiasts or workers out there...

I just don´t want this to become the future of airtravel, and I´m trying to help to keep at least a little "class" and "style" in airtravel!

I also think that I would try to avoid certain airlines in South America, Russia and Africa because of their safety, security, training and maintenance standards.

Put me on any US, European and most Asian carriers -not Low-Cost of course ,WN would be the only LCC for me to fly (on certain routes)- and I´ll be happy to go!

Best regards,

L1011Lover

keno

Sun May 09, 2004 3:03 pm

El Al.
Nothing against the airline, it's just that Malaysian passports are not valid for use in Israel  Smile

sprxflySWA

Sun May 09, 2004 3:07 pm

Due to safety and regulatory/training concerns, I personally will never travel on any Mexican or Central American airline,or any African airline. And there is a high chance I would not travel on a Chinese domestic service,either (Not that likely I'll be in China anyway.).

Of course, there is just as much chance any airline could be bad.

As from a service standpoint, I could not put anyone on a "no fly" list.

Qantasclub

Sun May 09, 2004 3:51 pm

Good post, although there are clearly a few people here that are bound to be offended if they don't agree with any blacklists. Stuff them, I say; this is a free and democratic post, and I reserve the right the blacklist whichever airline I want. Here's my list:

1) Korean airlines and China airlines because of safety-I'm sure they've recently taken measures to imporve, but still not convinced; maybe in a decade or so.

1A) Any mainland African airline (except South African) for the above reasons.

2) Air New Zealand: Never EVER would I fly them. I have nothing to do with Ansett, but I was so furious at the time at the way these employees were treated that I swore to myself that I would never support or give them my money ever. Yes, it happened awhile ago, and although I'm mostly 'over it', I feel it's wrong to fly with them. They're like 'the enemy' and if Qantas ever manages to merge with ANZ, i'll be devastated. Anyway, compared to QF, we're not missing much. (this is just my personal opinion and the whole 'ansett-get-over-it-thing has been discussed before, so please don't bother to flame me; I still feel the same)

3) Any US carrier internationally. (Can't help it domestically) and this is from repeated experiences of crap and sub-standard service, as well as aging planes that they have no money to upgrade or replace.

4) Olympic airways-flew them 4 times in 1999 and 2000. AWFUL. Just horrible.
Long Haul is the only way to go

greatansett

Sun May 09, 2004 3:59 pm

Thank you QANTASCLUB at least someone does not cry every time you bad mouth an airline.
Ron Paul 2012

Sun May 09, 2004 4:00 pm

Any major US carrier as the service sucks. All US carriers are so BORING dull and their service is B*L*L S*I* look at third world country carriers like Srilankan airlines, Thai etc. they are SO MUCH btter than NW, AA, CO, DL, UA or US which all suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greatansett

Sun May 09, 2004 4:03 pm

744 You got your point across well Big grin  Big thumbs up
Ron Paul 2012

Sun May 09, 2004 4:06 pm

Thanks GREATANSETT. I think all American carriers should quit or change~

phxmkeflyer

Sun May 09, 2004 4:07 pm

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pete Hawk

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pete Hawk

View Large View Medium

Photo © ROY GORRIS

......need I say more?

greatansett

Sun May 09, 2004 4:08 pm

Sadly I have to agree with you 744
Ron Paul 2012

phxmkeflyer

Sun May 09, 2004 4:14 pm

744, perhaps if the US carriers were backed by government funds like other country's carriers your opinion would differ. The fact is many nations have "flag carriers" that represent the nation so therefore their governments generously give them money and have exceptional service; whereas the U.S. has no official carrier. Trust me, if we had a flag carrier you would want to fly it everytime  Big grin

Sun May 09, 2004 4:22 pm

BA or Virgin aren't FLAG carriers. They are so much btter than UA, NW, DL etc.
Even airlines like Gulf Air, Air-India, Qatar Airways, MEA etc are MUCH better than any US carrier even if they don't have ENOUGH money than private US carrires who make tons of money have a huge fleet but lack service and respect in airline industry.

greatansett

Sun May 09, 2004 4:28 pm

QF is Australia's flag carrier it gets all government traffic, but belive me people dont want to fly on it just because its a flag carrier. If the competition was better then people would prefer the other carrier.
Ron Paul 2012

EMBTucano

Sun May 09, 2004 4:30 pm

I fly anithing I can get good price on it and can take me wherever I want to go
but when I can choose between 2 or more airlines for the same price, I would for sure fly RG over anything else and would avoid AA and DL as much as I can, but again I will by the cheapest ticket available .

Cheers
David
---- Use GNU/LINUX and be free! ----

aeroyu

Sun May 09, 2004 4:33 pm

Korean Air Lines & China Airlines. Simple reason - safety.
Kai Tai - I missed you so much

fraspotter

Sun May 09, 2004 5:05 pm

I dont really like to fly AA mostly because of a bad experience i had this past summer. I was on a domestic flight from Dallas/Ft. Worth to College Station, TX and we had the rudest flight attendent i had ever seen. We were about to take off when they come over the intercom and say that the plane was to heavy and that they were asking for volunteers to have their luggage taken off and come the next day. Well, a blind lady who was sitting behind me walked up to the front. She couldn't see so it took a few minutes. When she got to the front of the plane, the FA just started to yell and scream at her to take her seat. She blind lady just started to cry and all the passengers started yelling at the FA. Well, after that i reported the FA to AA and i havnt heard anything since.

Also the flights are often late.

Cheers.

-FRAspotter
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

adriaticus

Sun May 09, 2004 5:14 pm

I avoid flying AA whenever I have another option. Reason: Reservations, FA and counter employees are usually rude - regardless the station/country. It's like their corporate culture.

Notwithstanding the above, I started to dislike the airline's business practice when the Wright Ammendment issue erupted and Legend was crippled. Their action was perhaps legal, but ethically unacceptable to me. The Romans used to say: "Summum ius, summa iniustitia" - the most strict application of the law can be the greatest of all unfairness. Excuse my poor latin-English free translation.

__Ad.
A300/18/19/20/21 B721/2 B732/3/G/8 B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 DC8/9/10 MD11 TU134/154 IL62/86 An24 SA340/2000 E45/90

Sun May 09, 2004 5:21 pm

Adriaticus ,
I totally agree with you. It happened to me on NW, UA and AA. The WORST of all is NW. Man they have some of the RUDEST FA' s ever. I'll NEVER fly NW again. Such a terrible airline!

Pe@rson

Sun May 09, 2004 5:25 pm

I don´t want these jokes of airlines [easyJet, Ryanair, et al] to ruin the entire airline business and famous, well-known and traditional carriers!

Funny you should say "to ruin the entire airline business and...traditional carriers." Prior to low-cost carriers, a number of these "famous, well-known and traditional carriers" were performing badly indeed. Along came low-cost carriers, which brought home the fact that airlines MUST be very efficient in order to help survive. Look at BA. It was performing poorly, but it's now performing much better due to rationalising its operation undoubtedly because it saw the cost-effectiveness of low-cost airlines.

Low-cost airlines enable people from all walks of life to fly, which, traditionally, they have not been able to do. Nowadays virtually everyone can fly. Is that not a good thing? It certainly would not have happened but for the existence of low-cost airlines.

I am all for choice - if someone wants to splash out 200 pounds on a business class flight from London to wherever then they can; if someone wants a cheap and cheerful 1p flight from Stansted to Frankfurt Hahn then they can. To say that there should only be one type of airline offering one type of service is absurd.

The thing which is most funny about your statement is that these "jokes of airlines" are generally more profitable than these "famous, well-known and traditional carriers" which illustrates that they're doing something right. Add to that excellent businesspeople and delivering what customers nowadays want - low prices - and they're onto a winner.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

tartan

Sun May 09, 2004 6:36 pm

I don't think I actively avoid any airlines. I have had my share of bad/delayed flights but the next time I have flown with them, they usually have redeemed themselves.

However, I probably would try to avoid tight connections on KLM. I would prefer to have a couple of extra hours in Schipol. Last 3 times I have flown KLM with a change, my luggage arrived 2 days after me!

VSGirl

Sun May 09, 2004 6:36 pm

What airlines will I not fly?

EasyJet - Sorry I have seen them on TV - no customer service!

Air France - I am British (well half Swedish) so I dont like the French too much

KLM - I am get to have a flight that I have enjoyed with them

NWA - Cant see why they cant use newer aircraft on the LGW route/s

MyT (Airtours) - Rude crew, never on time and seats are so SO bad!

UAL - They are never friendly, even when flying First Class...

Think thats it really.

Kimberly.

uadc8contrail

Sun May 09, 2004 11:51 pm

VSGIRL,
i was on vs200/3may.....if it were not for the fact that vs has a great i.f.e. then the flight would have been worse. i was not impressed at all. even though i convinced my co workers to fly VS instead of CX. i know everyone has had bad flights but for a flight that was 50% (at best)full i would have expected the f/a to spend a little more time with the passengers than a quick run thru with some water every hour after the late delivered meal service.
bus driver.......move that bus:)

4jaded

Sun May 09, 2004 11:53 pm

My No fly list falls into two catagories
Airlines that I just would never board period ie would not even allow another carrier to reroute me on , nor would I accept a free ticket etc etc

And airlines that I would fly if I absolutely had too but would never intentioanlly give a dollar too.

First my no fly under any circumstances list

Bahamas Air. I would rather swim than subject myself to them under any circumstances. Even if they were the only seat in town to escape a major hurricane I would rather hold onto a palm tree!!!

Airtran or as I love to call them AIRTRASH !!

Been there done that swore to GOD and all my dead relatives that I would never go back under any circumstances. They could offer me free travel for the rest of my life unlimited and I would still rather take Greyhound!

2nd list Airlines I avoid if at all possible

American Airlines
2 reasons, first I am sick to death of them, second, I refuse to give them a single dollar for the service they provide. Better to buy myself a stick and bash my own head. Being a passenger on AA is like being an Iraqi Detainee !!

LAN anything....
Good product when it works however unforgivable service when it does not !

Aerocontinente... As much as I love to fly on classic airplanes the duck tape holding them together does not need to be classic as well.

chinaeastern

Mon May 10, 2004 12:17 am

for international routes:
-KE
i mean CI slould really join the list, but for obvios political reasons, i don't have the chance to fly it even if i want to.
-CA, personally prefer others.
-anything smaller than 767

For domestic
-both QF and DJ, i mean i don't mind QF international, but i've never got a nice experience flying with them on domestic routes especially QF new zealand

DeltaAgent1

Mon May 10, 2004 12:25 am

Is there a list of passengers to ALWAYS deny boarding, and never allow on one of our aircraft?

[Edited 2004-05-09 17:26:30]

SHUPirate1

Mon May 10, 2004 1:17 am

Ssides-Let me clarify...when I fly for my business, I pay for my travel (or my employer does, depending on the agreement I make with my boss for that weekend), and then, I attempt to fly on either UA or US, depending on which one is lower, and if either fare is reasonable compared to other airlines (they generally are, which may be the reason why one is in Ch. 11 and one is flirting with Ch. 7)...when we go on family vacations, my mother INSISTS on buying my tickets for me, INSISTS on making me fly with her, and she insists on going for the lowest nonstop (unlike me, she refuses to connect, as it's usually a JFK-PBI or JFK-FLL run anyway)...take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but not because my mother buys my tickets for me, because she usually doesn't...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos