Pe@rson
Topic Author

Odd Thing With Air Berlin After Booking

Mon May 10, 2004 4:09 am

Just booked the first leg of my European tour (STN-DUS). Upon completion of the booking, I read this:

"Should there be more than 31 days between the date of booking and the date of travel, your account will be charged with a deposit of 100 Euros per person in the next few days."

That is a little odd, is it not? I have never heard of such a thing with an airline before. Is that instead of, or in addition to, the 19 GBP I paid for my ticket?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Pe@rson
Topic Author

RE: Odd Thing With Air Berlin After Booking

Tue May 11, 2004 3:26 am

Does anyone have any info about this? It's odd to say the least.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Leskova

Tue May 11, 2004 3:35 am

It's actually normal in the case of Air Berlin - it stems from the time where they were "only" a charter carrier also offering flight-only-bookings.

Since all charter carriers here have adjusted their own payment systems to the same "rhythm" that the big operators use - a deposit at the time of booking and the rest a month in advance - they simply display that message.

What they obviously didn't think of when they programmed that part of their website was that they'd actually, at some point, have flights, where the fare including taxes (or the applicable deposit) would be way below that amount.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry - although I cannot give you a 100% guarantee on it (I'd say send them an eMail for 100% safety), I'd say that they'll simply take the amount for the flight (the GBP 19) from your account - they're not going to take those EUR 100 from you... they'd only take those EUR 100 if your flight were more expensive than that - and then they'd take the rest those 31 days before your flight.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

Jumbolino

Tue May 11, 2004 5:39 am

hey Guys,
it's odd
I booked my second - return tkt so number 3 and 4 with AB last week
and I didn't read anything like this not neither !
Number 1 and 2 was in march - the same nothing about a deposit nor-neither ....

Jumbolino.
Kind Regards, Jutta.

by188b

Tue May 11, 2004 3:32 pm

next flights : BD LHR-TXL J, FR SXF-STN Y, SN BRU-LHR Y, MA LHR-BUD Y, BA BUD-LHR J, BA LCY-SNN-JFK J, BA JFK-LHR J, BA