geekydude

MD-82 Caught Fire On Takeoff At PVG, China

Mon May 10, 2004 4:50 pm

This is what I just read from http://news.sina.com.cn/c/2004-05-10/13283194504.shtml.

Here is briefly what happened:

A rear left tire on a China Southern Airline MD-82 with over 100 passengers on board caught fire on takeoff run at around 7PM Sunday evening at Pudong International Airport, Shanghai, China. The captain made a sharp right exit and aborted early; the fire was put out about 5 minutes later after fire engines arrived. All crew and passenger were evacuated without injuries. Investigators suspect that frictions due to the locked-up tire caused overheating and eventually lighted it up. The MD-82 involved was still bearing the China Northern Air livery.

FLIB 152 'heavy' low approach...Caution wake turbulance!

IanatSTN

RE: MD-82 Caught Fire On Takeoff At PVG, China

Mon May 10, 2004 5:18 pm

Thanks for the heads up Geekydude, I hope everyone was ok. Can I just ask anyone with more knowledge than me a question, is 5 mins a long time for the fire engines to arrive at the scene? I am probably wrong, but seems quite a long time for them to arrive.

Cheers  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Ian@STN
Ian@STN ::

geekydude

Mon May 10, 2004 5:44 pm

lan@STN-
I'd thought the same thing too. I should've brought it up that the article also mentions that some ground crew made a few failed attempts to put out the fire by some apparently portable fire extinguishers. What the ****? Even they rushed up to the aircraft before the fire engine did? That makes me question whether the plane was indeed on takeoff roll at all, or was it just taxiing near the terminal? I don't get it.
Hope someone from Shanghai can give us an update on this.
FLIB 152 'heavy' low approach...Caution wake turbulance!

INNflight

Mon May 10, 2004 5:48 pm

he captain made a sharp right exit and aborted early

So I don't think they were very fast at the moment... BTW: How does the pilots recognize if a tyre is on fire? Is there any fire alert system on the tyres?

thanks, Florian
Jet Visuals