mika

LCC's In Eastern Europe?

Mon May 10, 2004 5:11 pm

How long does it take before european LCC's will expand their services to eastern parts of europe? I know EZY flies to the Checz republic and Slovenia as of now but when will they (or someone else) expand further to countries like Ukraine? Ukraine is especially interesting for me as i have a friend there and getting there today would require one to fly with lufthansa or BA which naturally are not the cheapest!

TriStar500

RE: LCC's In Eastern Europe?

Mon May 10, 2004 5:23 pm

You mean to the former CIS countries? because AFAIK, there is already a multitude of airlines from EU states flying to the new EU members (e.g. 4U, EZY, AB), and a number of startups in these countries (e.g. Skyeurope from Slovakia, Air Polonia and Whizz from Poland).

Concerning the CIS countries, I have my doubt that there is a reasonably large market within the next few years. Restrictive bilateral aviation agreements, stringent VISA rules and a very low household income in the CIS being some of the prime reasons.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

steph001

Mon May 10, 2004 5:39 pm

Hi MIka,

to answer your question: yes, there are LCC's in Eastern Europe , as SkyEurope http://www.skyeurope.com with hubs in BTS and BUD, Air Polonia http://www.airpolonia.com/index.php?lang=en with a hub I guess in WAW. Some days ago I saw a thread in this forum about a new LCC with a hub in PRG.

Unfortunately I don't know whether there are LCC's to the Ukraine. I know that VolareWeb flies from Venice to Bucharest, but I really don't know anything about the Ukraine.

If you are looking for cheaper flights than LH or BA you may try Malev http://www.malev.hu or CSA http://www.csa.cz, who serve KPB (Kiev-Borispol).

Cheers

Steph

keno

Mon May 10, 2004 5:50 pm

Here are the destinations outside of new EU/EEC/Croatia currently served by LCC's :-

Albania - Tirana - Volareweb from Bari
Bosnia - Sarajevo - Snowflake from CPH
Georgia - Tblisi - Germania Express from CGN
Kosovo - Pristina - Snowflake from CPH
Macedonia - Skopje - Snowflake from CPH & Germania Express from DUS
Romania - Bucharest & Timisoara - Volareweb from VCE
Russia - Moscow DME - Germania Express from MUC, DUS, TXL & EVolaVia from Ancona
Serbia - Belgrade - Snowflake from CPH & ARN

No LCC has yet to expand to Bulgaria.

INNflight

Mon May 10, 2004 5:54 pm

Also, Germanwings flies to:

BUD , K R K , ZAG , PRG and WAW

regards, Florian

Jet Visuals

vadheim

Mon May 10, 2004 6:05 pm

LCC Norwegian (DY) flies from Oslo (OSL) to:
Berlin (Schönefeld)
Prague
Budapest
Dubrovnik
Split

..and Trondheim (TRD) to:
Prague
Dubrovnik

...and Bergen (BGO) to:
Dubrovnik

www.norwegian.no

delyan

Tue May 11, 2004 9:58 am

Bulgaria will joint the Open Skies Agreement next year and will open its aviation market to LCC.

VS11

Tue May 11, 2004 12:35 pm

Much as I would like to see LCCs to Bulgaria, the cheapest SOF-LGW is $300, which I think is a lot, I do not see it happening soon. I remember some people in the Government wanted to postpone Bulgaria joining the Open Skies as naturally no Bulgarian airline is competitive enough to compete with a LCC from Western Europe. BulgariaAir is making money as its market is protected. And what about the domestic market. It is crying outloud for more competition. SOF-VAR is EUR 90 return. I hope someone will get the idea and offer new service.

VS11

connector4you

Wed May 12, 2004 3:13 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © TZ Aviation

As far as I know Volareweb is flying into Romania as a "regular-scheduled charter" flight. As a result accommodation for travelers at destination is build-in the airfare. Included accommodation is the "only restriction" that applies to LCC operating into Romania (outside EU). Of course in this case the old "80 EURO" or so for a round-trip is a little higher pending on your chosen accommodation.

Volareweb is quite happy with their "Romanian loads" and have plans to open Milan Malpensa and Rome Fumicino to Bucharest Baneasa.

JU101

Tue May 18, 2004 4:36 am

KEno,

I do not know why you state Kosovo seperate from Serbia. Kosovo is a province of Serbia.

Secondly, Snowflake recently pulled the plug on its flights to Belgrade. They faced strong competition from JAT.

9A-CRO
Crew

Mon May 24, 2004 10:14 pm

Germawings is about to start flight to both Zagreb and Split.
Also Croatia Airlines operates flights with limited number of low cost seats on domestic routes (ZAG-SPU and ZAG-DBV for less than 15EUR and ZAG-PUY for around 10EUR (no taxes included))
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward...

afay1

Mon May 24, 2004 10:38 pm

While perhaps some of the Russian carriers are de facto "LCCs" due to the service levels and prices, I believe it is S7 that has a $24 r/t flight from Moscow to Nizhny Novgorod, and Aeroflot and Kaliningradavia sell govt subsidized tickets to Kaliningrad from Moscow as well for like $30.