gkirk

Stewardess Storms Off Plane Via Chute At NCL

Mon May 10, 2004 9:59 pm

Read the story here

Simply amazing...
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

alcregular

RE: Stewardess Storms Off Plane Via Chute At NCL

Mon May 10, 2004 10:02 pm

Its funny but then again it's not. I bet she was embarrased. No wonder she walked away. I would probably do the same thing.
Why drive when you can fly?

4jaded

Mon May 10, 2004 10:03 pm

LOL Fabulous !!! I always taught my rampers that if they blew the slide during cabin service to enjoy the ride down and then turn in their badge and go home. Glad to see that this FA felt the same way !!!

QIguy24

Mon May 10, 2004 10:07 pm

I wonder what set her up like that. There must have been somethin really bad if she does a thing like that.
Man that stuff costs a fortune... But It was good that the passengers got refreshments for 3£ each Big grin

ThirtyEcho

Mon May 10, 2004 10:07 pm

"Stewardess"???
"Cabin girl"???
"Air hostess"???

No wonder she stormed off the plane!

RB211LTN

Mon May 10, 2004 10:36 pm

The story didn't really tell you what happened. If she stormed off the aircreft and blew the slide on purpose, I say Good For Her. If you are going, go in style. I once blew a slide, completely by accident, on the 733. It makes an enormous noise and looks quite spectacular. Even though we were always told we would lose our job if we did it, I survived unblemished!
The customer is always right.....unless he is a passenger!

*HighFlyah*

Mon May 10, 2004 11:48 pm

Funny how in the States, we're almost "socially required" to use the term "flight attendant" ... and "stewardess" or "air hostess" is not only not used often, but frowned upon.

Upon reading this article, I see them being referred to as :

Stewardess
Air Hostess
Cabin Girl (??)

BR715-A1-30

Tue May 11, 2004 12:41 am

She made a Cabin Woman out of her for that stunt. It takes a big...err.. It takes a Big __________ to pull that stunt. Me, I'd stand there thinking about the severe yelling at I was going to get. Sorry Captain, I broke the airplane.
Puhdiddle

nwacrew

Tue May 11, 2004 12:44 am

The article left out the most interesting part of the story: the reason the flight attendant was fed-up enough to quit the plane - and her job - in such a dramatic manner!

I nominate that "cabin girl" for an honorable mention in the Flight Attendant Hall of Fame - along with a Pan Am stewardess I knew some 30 years ago who announced to passengers and crew during a particularly hellish First Class dinner service "I QUIT !!!", plopped down in a seat, yanked off her wings, and with a snap of her fingers demanded a Scotch-on-the-rocks!

Tom in NO

Tue May 11, 2004 12:55 am

Kind of related, but I seem to recall an incident perhaps 15 years ago where an EA pilot got so fed up with the delays, etc at ATL, that one day, while in the middle of a lineup for takeoff at ATL, he got out line, taxiied back to the terminal, and quit his job.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

adriaticus

Tue May 11, 2004 1:52 am

HighFlyah, I concur with you it is funny and weird "stewardess" and "air hostess" are frowned upon in the US... They are very classy (and classic) words... Stewardess is etymologically someone "in charge of a sty", coming from old English "stigweard", literally, "guardian or keeper of the hall" - being a hall a place where high-level nobility affaires took place.

As for "hostess", the word denotes "hospitality for newcomers", rooting back to Indo-European, Greek and Latin roots.

What could possibly be wrong with these words that makes them incorrect? Isn't it perhaps not the words themselves, but "politically-correct-paranoid ears" instead?

As for what she did, I've always wondered how would that feel. I've witnessed accidental chute blowups twice; one in MAD, back in 1978, while unboarding an IB B747; somehow a mechanic working in a starboard door (I believe 4R) managed to violently swung it wide open and the chute inflated. Pretty noisy and impresssive when you see it for the first time. In another occasion, I witnessed the same inside MX's maintenance base in Mexico City. This was the late 80's, and it happened with a DC 10-15 undergoing maintenance, from door 1R. On that occasion, all the personnel in the hangar rushed to the scene, clapped, booed and made photographs with the apparently soon-to-be-fired guy. He was not.

__Ad.
A300/18/19/20/21 B721/2 B732/3/G/8 B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 DC8/9/10 MD11 TU134/154 IL62/86 An24 SA340/2000 E45/90

AWspicious

Tue May 11, 2004 2:33 am

"We thought it was strange. Then we saw her walking across the Tarmac. The captain told us she was very upset."

Bloody understatement, I'd say!
So, where's the report on what caused the unusal emotional outburst of this F/A? What on earth could posses an airline employee to pull such a stunt??? Would have to be something major. I'm vvvvvery curious...
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

tartan

Tue May 11, 2004 2:53 am

This is so frustrating. It is only half a story Smile Is there anyone around from the Newcastle area who has more information?

travatl

Tue May 11, 2004 3:38 am

I always said that when I quit, I was going to blow the tail cone off a DC9, and roll it out to the employee parking lot....

Travis

avt007

Tue May 11, 2004 3:50 am

Strangely, no one seems to care that she grounded the aircraft, (possibly intentionally) pissed off and seriously inconvenienced all the passengers, cost the airline thousands, if not more, and everyone cheers for her?
Without knowing the whole story, it's hard to say, but at the very least she deserves to be fired. She could be subject to legal action from the airline for the costs she incurred. Obviously none of the posters were on this flight!

JAFA

Tue May 11, 2004 3:57 am

LOL....how hilarious. Going out with a bang. I used to work for an awful charter airline and I vowed that I would get some fish, and place it in various hard to find places in the cabin and leave. This would have been allowed to ferment while the 727 sat in the FL sun waiting to go out on a charter.
"cabin girl" was a quote from a witness, so its ok for the author to use it. Although I think its a bit derogatory. Steward or Stewardess don't bother me. I am not sure how I feel about cabin crew, although my airline uses it in a few annoucements.

nighthawk

Tue May 11, 2004 4:43 am

According to a post on another forum, the aircraft involved was an A321. Steps were brought up to allow boarding from the rear door, but when it was opened the chute inflated. The stewardess then left as she was so embarrased.

Hardly a "steward storming off plane", but hey, why let facts get in the way of a good story?  Sad

FLY2LIM

Tue May 11, 2004 4:53 am

Well, this is the country of the "hip" and the "holier than thou". So, we currently know a "hostess" to be a person who greets you at a restaurant and sits you down. There is also an inference with hostess and stewardess that these are "female" dominated jobs. Hence, "flight attendant" is unisex and more politically correct. Now that I'm done, hey missy, get me a drink. (he he he he)
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

srbmod

Tue May 11, 2004 8:10 am

I always said that when I quit, I was going to blow the tail cone off a DC9, and roll it out to the employee parking lot....

Unless a cabin cleaner beat you to it..........

m404

Tue May 11, 2004 8:12 am

Actually, I think we are a country where the fear of being "politically correct" is enforced by every opportunistic lawyer within earshot.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

sevenair

Wed May 12, 2004 2:01 am

Im from NCL, and not heard anyting on the news. The only reason i knew abt it is my friend gave me the link to that web page.

Well, I not too bothered how those people who work in the cabins of airliners are called, but one things for sure 'Air Hostess' by Busted is a cracking tune!!!! Maybe some of you guyys would like to look up the lyrics, which iclude 'I like the way you dress', 'my coke has got no ice in', 'i want you to feel me here' ....

alcregular

Wed May 12, 2004 3:35 am

It was in the Sunday Sun the other day, and was on BBC news ceefax and ITV teletext local news.
Why drive when you can fly?

sevenair

Wed May 12, 2004 5:04 am

well, sunday sun i hardly the news, but its not been anything major

aircraft88

Wed May 12, 2004 6:42 am

Hey Sevenair,

I know what you mean about the lyrics!

Apparently if you have ever seen the video to it, it was filmed at the Duxford Museum if you have ever been there?

Anyway, here they are:

Busted Lyrics

Air Hostess

(Let's go!)
(Yeah! Alright!)

Walking through the terminal
I saw something beautiful
You left, for your duty call
Next I'm getting on the plane
That's when I see you again
I can't get you off my brain

(Let's go)
That uniform you're wearing
So hot I can't stop staring
You're putting on an awesome show
The cabin pressure's rising
My coke has got no ice in there

[Chorus:]

Air hostess
I like the way you dress
You know I hate to fly
But I feel much better
I can fly in my mind
And you will look better
I messed my pants
When we flew over France
Will I see you soon
In my hotel room
For a holiday romance?
Air hostess

Throwing peanuts down the aisle
Stupid but it made you smile
You came over for a while
Then you whispered in my ear
The words that I longed to hear
"I want you to feel me here"

You can't because you're working
The paparazzo's lurking
You didn't know I'm in a band
In England people know me
One photo's worth a hundred grand

Air hostess
I like the way you dress
You know I hate to fly
But I feel much better
I can fly in my mind
And you will look better
I messed my pants
When we flew over France
Will I see you soon
In my hotel room
For a holiday romance?
Air hostess

Na, na na-na
Na, na na-na
Na, na na-na
Na, na na-na
Na, na na-na
Na, na na-na
Na, na na-na

That uniform you're wearing
So hot I can't stop staring
You're putting on an awesome show
The plane has almost landed
So tell me where I'm standing now

Air hostess
I like the way you dress
You know I hate to fly
But I feel much better
I can fly in my mind
And you will look better
I messed my pants
When we flew over France
Will I see you soon
In my hotel room
For a holiday romance?
Air hostess

Cos' you're my air hostess
I love the way you dress
Air hostess
My air hostess
I love the way you dress
Air hostess

Cheers,

Jamie.
Yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah but no!

ChiGB1973

Wed May 12, 2004 6:50 am

I hope she has to pay for it. That is just stupid.

PA110

Wed May 12, 2004 7:11 am

What an exit! If you're going to break regs, do it big!!! Yeah, though break for the pax, but as someone already mentioned, don't let that get in the way of a great story.

A friend of mine told me of a 25yr CP retiree, who upon landing at YVR got on her hands and knees, crawled all the way down the aisle, and looked under every seat as the plane was taxing to the gate. When she got to the back of the aircraft, she grabbed the mic and made the following PA announcement:

"I'd like to announce that after a 25 year career with Canadian, I am retiring and this was my last flight. For those of you wondering what I was doing on my hands and knees... I was looking for the F@$&ing glamor!"

Again, great story, and what a way to exit!
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

prebennorholm

Wed May 12, 2004 7:15 am

If I had been a flight attendant, aeh, air hostess, aeh, cabin boy on a MyTravel plane with 200 average British charter pax, then I would probably have done the same thing.

Living on unemployment benefit probably isn't funny either, but....

£3 per head!!! Ha-ha. If they had got £6 they would just have been more drunk when boarding the new plane.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

gkirk

Wed May 12, 2004 7:41 am

T'was an A320 so no more than 180 pax on.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

tbear815

Wed May 12, 2004 10:21 am

Just an FYI - in the dinosaur years (of which I proudly knew and enjoyed), TW ALWAYS referred to their flight attendants as "hostesses." The term "stewardess" was never used by them. I happen to know other dinosaurs from those days who are retired "stewardesses" and proud of the fact!

pilot727aa

Wed May 12, 2004 10:32 am

I don't understand how she broke the seal to the slide?? Can anyone clear up what happened?
-Brady

blueairbureau

Wed May 12, 2004 1:56 pm

This story is missing something? Hmmm, I thinks it's called credible information. I wish I new more. I had the priveledge of watching a friend of mine blow a slide in the back galley of a 146-300 while enroute to GEG. Wholly cow, you have no idea how funny yet scary it was. I looked back and asked for tea, she walked back to the rear galley. Then this huge hoopt sound came from in back. All I could see was yellow slide from one wall to the other. She was pinned to the right rear door. Every body freaked, me too. When we finally excavated her from the rear of the aircraft, she was covered if a white powder. From then on she was nicknamed snow white. We asked her what happened. She said a passenger had stuck (quite stupidly) a plastic sandwich container under this rollered switch at the bottom of the slide pack. When she pulled it out the slide blew. Funny thing, I always thought that switch thing was supposed to prevent an inadvertant blow!

777ualsfo

Wed May 12, 2004 2:07 pm

Did this happen because the flight attendant failed to prepare the door properly for arrival and disarm the chute?

schweizair

Wed May 12, 2004 2:39 pm

Avt007,

I somewhat disagree. The problem is that the writer of the story the first poster hotlinked to didn't give us all the facts. What if she had been upset for a few MONTHS and finally snapped? What if she had a grudge against her co-workers or the airline? The story didn't tell us that but those could be possibilities. And I know in my gut that being a f/a is not a nice job. Think about it: running to and from work every day, cooped up in a flying can breathing recycled oxygen with people who probably won't always be the nicest or even second nicest people in town. Sounds like a very stressful job to me. We all have a breaking point. She probably reached hers.

NWFltAttendant

Wed May 12, 2004 3:05 pm

Every time somebody blows a slide at Northwest, we receive a company email detailing the incident. Included in this email are all the details, aircraft, door location (i.e. 1L, 4R, etc...), and the cost (broken down, incident and YTD costs incurred from inattentiveness during door arming/disarming). WELL, with that said, the cost of a slide deployment on a A320-series aircraft is (just the slide removal, inspection, new co2 cartridges, and repacking)............

$11,500

Congratulation on a job well done. More people should do this.
Go yakkin !!!!!!

ua2162

Wed May 12, 2004 4:35 pm

If you are going, go in style.

LOL! I believe that says it all. Who knows, this may not have been an "accident."  Big grin

ua777222

Wed May 12, 2004 4:50 pm

Nwfltattendant,

Uhhh it's called insurance. Yes they do cover stupidity. I put a dent in the side of my mothers Mercedes. WELL, with that said the cost of replacing the panel on an E-500 car is (just the panel removal, installation, paint, MBUSA s---, and tax).............

$1,600

Guess how much my mom is paying for it? NOT A FRIGGEN DIME!

I don't think the cost to fix the actual a/c is a major issue for an airline. The fact that the a/c is out of service, a new one has to be pulled into service and you need that a/c that is pulled out of service put back in ASAP. Just a huge mess for the schedule. Your onto a good point but they are losing much more w/ the a/c itself being out of service weather it be a $11,000 fix it or 1.7million dollar fix it.

UA777222

Nwfltattendant,
no hard feelings, a good point indeed!
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

sevenair

Wed May 12, 2004 5:03 pm

£3 in NCL will not get you much! The cafe sells a really small (like i think 150mls) of orange juice, which costs £1.80-I was shocked when i got to the checkout and was told the price!! However, Boots have a great meal deal, under £3 for sanwhiches, drink and crisps, however, i not sure if the vouchers can be used in there! £3 will also get ya a pint in the original pub which has great views of the threshold!

But i agree, something must have made her snap, you dont just jump out of a plane for no reason (and of course she knew the slide would have opened, i.e. "doors to automatic" .....) Otherwish, it would have been a heck of a jump!

yeah, i seen the Busted video, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Charlie  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

ua777222

Wed May 12, 2004 5:09 pm

It's probably people like us that post and speak openly about it, mocking and hoping to hell that she gets fired that will get her fired...........(Just a thought at 1am)

UA777222

sevenair

Mearsk

Wed May 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Just been talking to my Da's mate, who works for Groundstar @ NCl, and he said the slide did not deploy. She opened the door, and then then the stairs went back up to the door, the delay was caused by replacing the exit hatch, not on the slide.

MD11Engineer

Thu May 13, 2004 1:41 am

Back at LH at TXL F/As, who blew a slide accidentaly, normaly were "fined" a case of beer for the maintenance crew, who had to change that slide. Changing a slide shouldn´t take more than 30 minutes (depending on the aircraft). Once the packet drops, even if it doesn´t inflate (e,g. due to a maintenance safety pin in the inflation valve), it has to be repacked in a shop. They use vacuum to press the slide together to get it into the container. The white powder is talcum, is is used to prevent the rubber of the slide to stick together over some time.

BTW, your Bae 146 F/A was lucky. she could have easily been crushed to death in that galley.

Another story. When I was still parttiming in passenger handling in TXL (before I became a mechanic), we had an incident with the late Turkish Holiday Airlines (the one that got banned from Germany for safety violations).
A F/O on a A300B4 had an argument with his captain, I think about an advance of his pay. The F/O took a screwdriver out of his pocket and removed the ignition switch module from the overhead panel (4 Camlocks and a Cannon plug). Then he put it into his pocket, grabbed his bag and disappeared. Of course, without this module they couldn´t start the engines and they needed a new F/O as well. About four hours later the F/O dropped in at the federal border police station of the airport and dumped the aircraft part on the desk, then he was gone again. Now the airline had to fly in a new F/O from Istanbul, but by the time he arrived, the actual crew was over their time limits. All passengers had to be sent home or to a hotel. BIIIG trouble!

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

ua777222

Thu May 13, 2004 2:01 am

Holy crap thats funny. Again if your going to go out go out in style. Now if I was on of the pax I would have smacked the lights out of this guy but to rip out the panel is by far one of the funniest things ever. I'm not too sure if I'd be safe on that a/c or airline again but that's funny.

UA777222

LHRman

Thu May 13, 2004 4:51 am

She must of been very upset to do that, has she been fired for it?!

Thanks Dave  Big thumbs up
Always after the picture you can't get..

sevenair

Mearsk

Thu May 13, 2004 6:48 am

i think by doing that it meant she has resigned!!! I cant imagine someone pulling a stunnt like that and then expecting to come back, or wanting to come back to work

BD1959

Thu May 13, 2004 3:04 pm

"The health and safety of our passengers is paramount and we cannot operate an aircraft without the necessary equipment."

OK - you have a problem with them being called "hosties" - what about 'em being called "equipment"??  Smile/happy/getting dizzy)

BD1959