desertjets

USAirways Cuts Airfares From SYR

Tue May 11, 2004 4:20 am

From today's Syracuse Post-Standard

http://www.syracuse.com/business/poststandard/index.ssf?/base/business-5/1084178350276315.xml

The quick and dirty version is that US is cutting business fares (not deep discounted fares) some 31 to 56 percent out of Syracuse-Hancock International. Which is generally good news, especially given the lack of LCC competition (save 4 Jetblue flights to JFK).

Other news of note is that service to DCA, LGA, PIT, PHL, and BOS will become all jet. Likely a mixture of CRJ/ERJ, E170s, and mainline jets depending on the destination (CLT is a mainline only city). Leaving just BDL and BWI with the remaining turboprop service.

Hopefully this is some evidence of USAirways continued reorganization, with streamlining of fares and a focus on strong O&D point-to-point markets.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

panam330

RE: USAirways Cuts Airfares From SYR

Tue May 11, 2004 5:37 am

This is great news! Finally SYR gets recognized by SOME airline. We finally get lower airfares. Hopefully this will stimulate travel in the Upstate area, and shove some passengers on US. Hopefully their struggles enable them to avoid a second bankruptcy and/or liquidation. I want to ride on one of their A330s!

A side note, there are only 3 jetBlue flights a day  Sad.

N62NA

Tue May 11, 2004 6:17 am

I agree, wonderful news for SYR. I was beginning to wonder what I'd be flying up there on next year when I visit Syracuse University for my annual alumni reunion. Nice to see I won't run the risk of a Beech or Dash-8 anymore.

DCA-ROCguy

Tue May 11, 2004 6:53 am

I'd imagine that this is partially in response to Independence Air's upcoming entry. Also, SYR has been losing pax to Rochester (AirTran) and Albany (Southwest). US may be trying to draw back business pax that are driving to ROC and ALB. Not surprised that they're not cutting leisure fares--that's not who US wants anyway, because they can't support their high cost structure on leisure pax.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)