godbless

Air Canada @ SXF In 1994

Wed May 12, 2004 8:11 am

I just looked at a few pictures from Berlin-Schönefeld and there I noticed this shot:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Olaf Juergensmeier

In the back you can see an Air Canada tail. My question is if that at that time was a regular visitor or if that plane is there for just about any other reason?
I never knew about any service to Berlin operated by AC.

Thanks in advance,
Max

FLYACYYZ

RE: Air Canada @ SXF In 1994

Wed May 12, 2004 8:18 am

AC operated regularly scheduled flights into SXF in 1994. Believe the service lasted for a better part of a year and a half. With the launch of Star Alliance, with the exception of AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA & MUC, LH handles connections to all other German cities. AC also served DUS in the late 80's as an extension of the YYZ-CDG flight with the L1011-500.
Above and Beyond

godbless

Wed May 12, 2004 8:51 pm

FLYACYYZ,
thank you for the information. I knew about their service to DUS but never about SXF. So Berlin-Schönefeld didn't only have Singapore Airlines as longhaul carrier.

Them stopping SXF can not have anything to do with Star/LH though if they flew it in 1994 since they started to work with LH in 1996 and Star was born in 1997.

Wasn't DUS flown from LHR rather than CDG? I know that DUS did not only see the L1011 but also the 747 and 767.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johannes Klusemann
View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

View Large View Medium

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

Max

FLYACYYZ

Wed May 12, 2004 9:05 pm

GodBless -

Star didn't start up till 1997 but AC had strategic alliances with LH dating back to early 1995. It seemed more viable to have daily connections via AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA versus 3 or 4 weekly direct/non-stop flights.

You're right about the routings as well. Initially, DUS was an extentsion of AC880 YYZ-CDG-DUS on the L1011-500/s. It was replaced by AC866 YMX-LHR-DUS on the 747-200M's and 767-200's. Over time AC decided it wasn't viable to operate "tag end" european flights such as:
YMX-LHR-NCE
YMX-LHR-DUS
YYZ-YMX-CDG-GVA
YYZ-CDG-MUC
Above and Beyond

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos