Delta: Reading & Sleeping Preferred Over IFE

Wed May 12, 2004 11:03 pm

In Delta’s latest in-flight magazine, Senior VP Ray Valeika writes (on page 12):

Customers tell us that reading and sleeping are the preferred ways of spending time on one of our 2,100 daily flights.

Contrast that to the largely teen/early-twenties a.net audience who insist that airlines that don’t offer PTV on every flight will eventually be forced to cease operations. I concur with Mr. Valeika’s comment, as I’ve long maintained here that I witness most passengers sleeping and reading - even on flights that include the latest-and-greatest IFE systems.

Just goes to show you that what’s important to aviation enthusiasts isn’t what’s always important to everyday average passengers…

spinkid

RE: Delta: Reading & Sleeping Preferred Over IFE

Wed May 12, 2004 11:09 pm

Well, when sleeping and reading are the only choices then they rank pretty high up there.

I can't speak for everyone but when I fly, I like to read and watch TV at the same time and occassionaly nap in between depending on how long the flight is.

drerx7

Wed May 12, 2004 11:09 pm

That's because most airlines charge for headsets; most passengers don't take time or forget to pack their own.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

MD80Nut

Wed May 12, 2004 11:10 pm

I agree. Even though I like PTVs, most people I've seen on flights, even those with PTVs, are either sleeping or reading. I myself choose flights based on fare and convenience, not IFE, and if it happens to have PTVs that's a bonus, but not essential.

cheers, Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

enginesrus

Wed May 12, 2004 11:22 pm

That might be true on a 1-2 hour domestic flight but try reading and sleeping for the 14 hours between New York and Tokyo and see how long it takes before you go stir crazy. Of course, if Mr. Valeika is correct why did Song bother spending all that money to put IFE at every seat on Song? They should have just put a couple of books in the seatback instead.

mikeymike

Wed May 12, 2004 11:25 pm

On most flights that I have flown where I have had in-seat video, i'll spend perhaps 10-20% of my flight time utilizing it. It is defiinitely a nice option to have, but in this day and age where there are so many distractions, being on an airplane is one of the few places that I can actually force myself to read.

That said, a definite benefit for IFE is to be able to "plug in" the more focus-challanged people (i.e. kids) to keep them occupied in their seats in lieu of having them run around the cabin like a chicken with its head cut off.

cancidas

Wed May 12, 2004 11:29 pm

i personally don't care for the IFE, especially the stupid screen plastered in front of my face. if i wanted to watch a movie or stare at a screen i'd just pull out my laptop. when i fly i either wish to be in the cockpit flying the damn thing or in the cabin sleeping. there isn't much more you can do on an airplane.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

col

Wed May 12, 2004 11:30 pm

IFE is good for long flights, you need to escape the reality of being in a tube for 8 to 18 hours. For short flights in USA, which is most of DL flights, then a book or snooze is ok. When will DL start installing libraries?

wilcharl

Wed May 12, 2004 11:44 pm

I think the younger generation on here must all have attetion def. disorder and I escape the 8-18 hrs in a tube by sleeping.... works well... Thats why i like norhwest domestic product. NO IFE!!! Ive said this 1000 times the stupid IFE box takes up leg room!!! Ive flown from atlanta to zurich in 96 with projectors, and ive flown from houston to honaloulou with in seat IFE.. was it any differnt? nope just had a stupid box under the seat in front of me to HNL

B747-437B

Wed May 12, 2004 11:46 pm

a definite benefit for IFE is to be able to "plug in" the more focus-challanged people (i.e. kids) to keep them occupied in their seats in lieu of having them run around the cabin like a chicken with its head cut off

Furthermore, studies have shown that airlines who have PTV systems installed serve less drinks per passenger than those who don't. So there is also a cost savings in provisioning costs as a result.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

GSPSPOT

Thu May 13, 2004 12:11 am

I think if other forms of inflight service are curtailed or made to be for-purchase (who wants to rustle around in a cramped seat for change?), the LEAST airlines can do is provide some sort of diversions themselves...
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

noelg

Thu May 13, 2004 12:16 am

the LEAST airlines can do is provide some sort of diversions themselves

Some sort of cabaret show would be cool - the F/As doing the dancing, maybe the pilot could come through and do his Sinatra act....would work quite well!

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

GSPSPOT

Thu May 13, 2004 12:17 am

Come on, guys, you know what I mean....  Smile

Thu May 13, 2004 12:20 am

I continue to find it fascinating that many a.netters want to argue airline-induced surveys that conclude IFE isn’t the highest in-flight priority among passengers.

Don’t get me wrong – IFE is a great marketing tool and I’m certain many passengers ‘glace at it’ … but maybe the reality is that most passengers prefer alternate forms of entertaining themselves, such as sleeping, reading (and BTW, this includes newspapers – but it doesn’t shock me that our TV-happy audience hasn’t heard of those), doing work, conversing with others, listening to CD/MP3 (yuk) players, etc. Most IFE programming is boring, anyway – like the movie about the obese African American girl trying to fit in with her dysfunctional suburban family, or that crappy British sitcom “Absolutely Fabulous” (no it’s not – ‘Absolutely Horrible’ is more like it) that CO enjoys playing.

And I bet IFE becomes more of a priority on true long-hauls (e.g. those flights that are 8+ hours in duration), but only a small number of passengers travel on those (which likely dilutes survey results)… nonetheless, the only advantage to most PTV systems (until AVOD becomes more mainstream) is that you can choose the order of your programming and watch it on a screen in front of you…

flpuck6

Thu May 13, 2004 12:25 am

I am 23 and an airline employee.

I have flown trans-atlantic enough and I must say that I like having my IFE!!! I do read and do nap, but when I'm not doing that I like to have something to watch, especially so-so movies that I would not spend $10 to see in the theater nor the $5 to rent!
Bonjour Chef!

GSPSPOT

Thu May 13, 2004 12:29 am

But, guess what, IndustrialPate.... Lots of us here on a.net ARE passengers... and quite value these amenities. I mean, I'd get a freakin' headache trying to read on a plane for 2-3 hours, know what I mean?

Udo

Thu May 13, 2004 12:32 am

Fine, if DL guys think people prefer to read and sleep, whey don't they just offer better seats with more comfort and legroom and install an inflight library?
Damn, nothings better than have a good nap in one of these cramped economy seats, right? I guess since DL only offers PTVs in their B777s passengers just don't have many more options and cannot choose. If most of their fleet was eqipped with IFE, I would pay more attention to that 'survey'.  Laugh out loud

Senseless discussion. I prefer airlines which offer me latest IFE such as AVOD, I don't care about the rest.

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

Thu May 13, 2004 12:33 am

Yes, GSPSPOT, but we're also enthusiasts... it's like saying '100% of the users at the fourms at Sean Hannity's website perfer Bush, therefore he will sweep the upcoming election...'

[Edited 2004-05-12 17:36:11]

Okie

Thu May 13, 2004 12:35 am

Well, I would put that survey up there with walking into a bear giant (okie for beer joint) and ask would you prefer free beer or free coffee.
I think you would get opposite results if you did the survey on B6.
Yes IFE is desirable on long flights? After about 2 hours, I get to the point where I need additional stimuli other than reading.

Okie

alphascan

Thu May 13, 2004 12:35 am

I didn't switch from NW to F9 on westbound trips out of MSP because of IFE. I switched because the difference between 31" and 33" of seat pitch makes a world of difference in comfort. That being said, the IFE seems to make flights go by much quicker and I notice the difference when crammed into my seat on eastbound NW trips with my computer, book or magazine.
"To he who only has a hammer in his toolbelt, every problem looks like a nail."

N6376M

Thu May 13, 2004 12:38 am

I fly DL BizE twice a month over the pond. On the way to Europe I sleep the entire flight, opting to skip everything including the meals.

On the way back, the flights depart in the morning and since I've just gotten up from my previous night's sleep, I'm not tired. I watch movies the entire way back. However, DL's movie offerings have gotten so bad, the I now take my own movies and watch them on my laptop's DVD player. Particularly entertaining are watching a series of episodes from shows like CSI or 24 back to back to back.

-76M

caetravlr

Thu May 13, 2004 12:39 am

As a business traveller, I like having IFE on long flights, especially those that outlast the battery in my laptop. I like being able to use my laptop to either work or play for a couple of hours, but after that, I want to watch something, or read something. On most domestic flights, even ATL - SFO, not having a personal video screen never bothered me too much. When I flew CDG - BKK on Thai without IFE, I think I would have gone crazy were it not for the fact that I took a Melatonin and slept the whole time. Coming back on SQ, it was kind of nice to have some entertainment options.

Anyway, most pax in Delta's system probably do not need IFE, but on long haul flights, it is a nice thing to have, and probably more worthwhile. That being said, having internet access on Lufthansa and hopefully others in the near future will be really nice. That is something I look forward to.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

InnocuousFox

Thu May 13, 2004 12:39 am

"Just goes to show you that what’s important to aviation enthusiasts isn’t what’s always important to everyday average passengers…"

No, it doesn't "show" us anything about what's important to anyone. It shows us what Senior VP Ray Valeika says in his OWN in-flight magazine to possibly cover his ass as to why they don't have IFE. Hardly an objective source, don't you think?
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

B747-437B

Thu May 13, 2004 12:40 am

I didn't switch from NW to F9 on westbound trips out of MSP because of IFE. I switched because the difference between 31" and 33" of seat pitch makes a world of difference in comfort.

To be quite honest, if you flew enough to be of any relevance to NWA you'd be getting your free elite upgrades and wouldn't have to worry about the NW seat pitch in Y.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

AirlineFanatic

Thu May 13, 2004 12:43 am

If you're going to spend the same amount for the ticket ($207.70) for a fare LGA-DFW last weekend on AA. I surely bought them over DL AND made sure I booked the 738 over the S80 because that 4 hour flight can be MOST boring without ANY IFE.

On the way down, I watched Cheaper by the Dozen. On the way home, I started watching Big Fish and then fell asleep. It's about CHOICE and VALUE for what you pay

No one is saying it is the next best thing since the airplane flew... it's an added extra.

PHLBOS

Thu May 13, 2004 12:45 am

My first IFE experience was on a DL PHL-SLC flight last August. Most of my previous flights weren't either long enough to justify IFE or the previous carrier(s) I've flown in the past (EA, TW, Midway (I), US, FL & WN) didn't have any monitors on their planes I was on.

While I was intrigued by the flight route map that DL would show at the beginning of the flight and intermitently between shows; the show selection was not exactly to my taste. On my return flight (a DL PDX-CVG flight) a week later, the movie being played was better. I used my walkman headsets for the sound and saved myself $5.

For most flights longer than an hour, I usually carry a walkman with some tapes/CDs and maybe a couple of books. I try to get a window seat so that I can enjoy the scenery. If there's someone next to me and if he/she seems willing, I will try to strike up a conversation with them. On my SLC-PDX flight, I spent most of the time talking with a girl sitting next to me who was returning from a trip to Hawaii. The conversation lasted about 3/4 of the flight time. She actually reminded me of someone I knew back home. No, we did not exchange phone numbers nor e-mails. She's a divorcee with 3 kids living in Eugene and I reside just outside of Philly. Oh well, maybe next time. I don't know when I will be out in Oregon again.

Enough of my rambling. The point is (yes there is one Big grin ) that although I didn't participate in the survey; I would be one in the majority on this issue.

[Edited 2004-05-12 17:53:32]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

DABZF

Thu May 13, 2004 12:46 am

Well, the thing is that I can't sleep on a plane (except on fully flat seats) so there goes the sleeping for me! When it comes to reading, there just isn't so interesting book (at least I haven't read it) that I could just read a book for 10 hours, no way! I want to watch movies etc... that's the best way of "killing time" for me! Then again I do carry (most of the time) a laptop with me, BUT if there are no power supply it's only good for a one DVD!

I'm 27  Smile
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

Thu May 13, 2004 12:55 am

It shows us what Senior VP Ray Valeika says in his OWN in-flight magazine to possibly cover his ass as to why they don't have IFE. Hardly an objective source, don't you think?

Considering:

-- the article had nothing to do with IFE
-- DL offers IFE on the vast majority of its mainline a/c

and

-- I've seen a comprehensive survey that was done on behalf of another airline (concerning domestic flights) in which IFE ranked near the bottom of passenger demands; this survey was not mentioned within the public domain
-- I witness more passengers doing activities other than watching/listening to IFE

Why would I presume DL made this survey up? Because something's YOUR (or a group of enthusiasts) priority, why does it make it everyone elses??

In a similar manner, while virtually all a.netters would agree that one should wait in ATL an extra thirty minutes to fly on a B777 to MCO as opposed to a MD88, I’d be willing to bet that most AVEGAGE passengers would prefer to pop a valium and pray the flight (full of obnoxious children) gets over ASAP as opposed to nitpicking over aircraft…

[Edited 2004-05-12 17:58:35]

InnocuousFox

Thu May 13, 2004 12:57 am

@B747-437B

"To be quite honest, if you flew enough to be of any relevance to NWA you'd be getting your free elite upgrades and wouldn't have to worry about the NW seat pitch in Y."

I'm trying to determine if NW is a bunch of jerks for this attitude or if you are for making such a rediculous comment. What the hell kind of statement is that? Are you saying that NW doesn't give a crap about passengers unless they are flying twice a month or something? Great... now THAT's a successful attitude!  Insane

Let's do some math here, kiddies... if your airline's load factor just HAPPENS to average 5 passengers over their break-even load factor (and that's mighty generous in this day), and you lose ONE passenger on each flight - you have just cut your PROFITS by 20%. I'm thinking that EVERY passenger damn well better be "relevant" to the airlines.

InnocuousFox

Thu May 13, 2004 12:59 am

It's not MY priority. I am ususally glued to the window with a road atlas on my lap.  Big grin

Lufthansa

Thu May 13, 2004 1:01 am

Okay, so you don't like IFE. Thats fine. I know on night-time transpacific i usually have to work and then get some sleep so I am ready for a full day after landing. Sitting up all night watching movies isn't an option. BUT that is no reason to pick on Absolutely Fabulous! Sorry but Joanna Lumbly and Jennifer Saunders (eddie and patsy) are two of the most talent actors around. You obviously don't get british humour... its about having a laugh at your self, not taking yourself too seriously and being a little ecentric and outright silly. (i know, its not really the done thing in America)

QF, BA, and AA have all played this sitcom and most of the passengers don't seem to mind when i've been onboard.

I agree with you IndustrialPate about actually passengers preferences. I wonder how many ppl actually ask their travel agent about inflight entertainment? I am sure a lot ask about prices, some about connections and maybe even about safety or special meals, but I doubt too many ask about IFE. Only the really frequent travellers... and they probably already know thru experience anyway.

ramerinianair

Thu May 13, 2004 1:22 am

IndustrialPate,

Well, on the contrary to what you think, all teens to twenties members don't think that if you don't have PTVs you will go bankrupt! I have posted previously that airlines like B6 will eventully reduce capasity and their need will be much less when the economy starts to thrive again-then people will want full service. PTVs are nice! If you are on a day flight from JFK to LAX, you really can not sleep an extra 5 hrs. If you are on a red-eye then yes sleeping is my choice. The problem is that the people they are asking are the people who have the PTVs which are only on the long international flights. This is a flaw. When going from NRT to the US you can have a good portion of this flight over night so the #1 thing you want to do is Sleep! If you ask a person if they want to play interactive games or watch movies on their PTV or sleep on their 5 hr. flight from JFK to LAX during the day, they will say PTV but DL doesn't offer PTV on their domestice flights even though some of them my be over 5 hrs. Also, only 7 A/C(All of their 777 A/C) of theirs have the PTVs so all other flights like the 9 1/2 hr. flight from JFK from ATH only have the monitors.
-S.R.
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

jhooper

Thu May 13, 2004 1:37 am

Granted, airlines probably don't see the 18-25 crowd as the cash cow of their operation.........but some day (like when we're 45-55), they'll do what we want!
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

ua777222

Thu May 13, 2004 1:42 am

As a young "person" I fine that my powerbook and iPod get the job done on one of my 124 flights (from 5/03-5/04) this year. I could really care less about the IFE unless its a long haul when I normally upgrade to a higher class that offers a better IFE.

Yet for me the best IFE that every flight offers is the communication and conversations you start with other pax and the crew.

UA777222
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

GSPSPOT

Thu May 13, 2004 1:45 am

I, for one, simply don't want another item to have to worry with onboard, and have to get thru security....

jmy007

Thu May 13, 2004 1:54 am

I don't know if thiese post for and against PTV's/IFE are a generational gap showing. Perhaps.
I'm in my late 20's, and I remember flying way back in the early 80's and 90's ,all over with out IFE on domestic, and watching movies on transatlantic, having to stretch my head to view the screen.
Then, on a summer's day in 1993, I flew Virgin Atlantic from London to New York, and they had the first generation PTV.
I was in Heaven!
As it was a day time flight, I wasn't going to sleep, I can barely sleep on planes anyways. Plus, I can't read for a long period on a plane either.
Having a ptv, certainly make the time pass, and yes I understand the argument about the ptv system box under the seat. But as a rule for me, I put all my carry on in the over head bin anyways so I don't have much of a problem with leg room.
Then, when I went on my first trans-pacific flight from LA to Singapore, via Tokyo, I thought I would never make it. But I did! With PTV. No, I was not glued to it. 19 hours is a long time to veg out on tv, I did some reading, I talk to my fellow passengers, and walk around and such. But I ended up watching several movies and shows, and then time melted away.
Now, that airlines like F9 have directv, the viewing options are the same as if I were home. And it make the time pass!
I certainly choose now, and in the future an airline if they have PTV esp. long haul over seas.

If Frontier and United have a cheap fare, at the exact same price, I will pick F9 because of their better IFE.

My two cents  Smile

[Edited 2004-05-12 18:54:37]
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.

AF-A319

Thu May 13, 2004 2:07 am

That's funny, because jetBlue customers tend to say that watching DirectTV is their preferred way of spending time on one of our 236 daily flights!

Well, I guess it has nothing to do with the fact jetblue is full of $$$ and that DL is on the verge of bankruptcy!

Shamrock_747

Thu May 13, 2004 2:56 am

Personally I'm not that bothered. For example, on an eastbound trans-Atlantic flight I like to have a leisurly meal and a few drinks followed by spending a couple of hours reading a book or watching a film before going to sleep. Comfort and service are the most important things to me.

However, on a westbound transatlantic flight I can get quite bored. A PTV can help pass the time on those flights.

ACAfan

Thu May 13, 2004 3:06 am

I regularly fly FLL-RIC I usually do this on USAirways. I love US and I dislike DL. I dont know why, I just do. (I had great service on my last DL flight in December)

Even if DL put in seat video on its 767 and 737, I would sitill stick with US. TV would not make me switch.

However, price is the most determinant factor. I will fly FLL-RIC on Thursday on CO through CLE because US was charging $550 and CO was charging $329
Freddie Laker ... May be at peace with his maker ... But he is a persona non grata ... with IATA

sllevin

Thu May 13, 2004 3:35 am

I've been routinely hauling my fanny around the world the past few months (and will be doing so again in June). My co-worker and I routinely figure we are lucky if we get one movie per TRIP we care about. In March we flew (as far as flights with IFE) SFO-AMS, LHR-KUL, KUL-NRT, and NRT-SFO.

Out of all that, I saw one whole movie I cared about and hadn't seen (Shattered Glass). Otherwise, outside of airmap, the IFE was a waste.

Steve

Bubbinski

Thu May 13, 2004 3:44 am

For shorter flights I don't need in flight entertainment, it's "nice to have" - in that survey the Delta VP mentioned, I wonder what the average trip length for the people surveyed was. But for a transcontinental flight like I flew last week on Southwest, I found I couldn't nap very well though I tried. And I found I could only spend so much time with my MP3/game player and in flight magazine.

Now "in flight entertainment" doesn't necessarily have to involve back seat TV's. I find that in seat radio channels perk up my interest a bit, and on other carriers like AA and DL I found myself listening to them a bit more than I thought I would, and that was with my MP3 player in my pocket. XM satellite radio would be good, or even updated daily radio programs about the day's news, sports, and destinations on the airline. Also someone else mentioned newspapers - I got the habit of reading the paper from my grandparents when I was a kid and haven't looked back. A selection of newspapers and magazines on board was standard on many flights I flew on as a kid and I liked reading through magazines like U.S. News to try and understand the world a bit better.
"Simplify" - Thoreau

GSPSPOT

Thu May 13, 2004 3:48 am

How can you properly read a newspaper in a cramped Economy cabin?

Cory6188

Thu May 13, 2004 4:59 am

For me, power ports are most important. Our school provides each student with a laptop to use for the whole year in all our classes, so I bought an EmPower adapter and plug it in anytime I'm on a plane. It has a DVD drive, so I can watch whatever I want. You can't beat a computer for entertainment, especially when you don't have to worry about battery life.

The lack of EmPower ports on CO on their narrowbody fleet is one of my few complaints about them.

Thu May 13, 2004 6:03 am

In addition to the teen vs adult dichotomy, I also see a road-warrior vs leisure flyer thing going on here.

For the road warriors, a flight is a means to an end. The object is to wrap things up and get off the road. An MP3 with familiar tunes or a CD player or a compact DVD are fine on a plane since they can also be used in a hotel room while working.

For the leisure flyers, the flight is actually part of the vacation. If it's part of the vacation, then it had better be fun, and it had better be entertaining. The more toys, bells and whistles, the better the experience.

The question is, when road-warriors go on vacation, do they only choose airlines with IFE?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

B747-437B

Thu May 13, 2004 6:20 am

Are you saying that NW doesn't give a crap about passengers unless they are flying twice a month or something?

Yes, thats exactly what I'm saying. The infrequent traveler (and even some frequent ones) who is price sensitive is an absolutely expendable quantity. If you don't buy the $100 transcon, somebody else will and they won't whine about it.

mlsrar

Thu May 13, 2004 6:43 am

In addition to the teen vs adult dichotomy, I also see a road-warrior vs leisure flyer thing going on here.

For the road warriors, a flight is a means to an end. The object is to wrap things up and get off the road. An MP3 with familiar tunes or a CD player or a compact DVD are fine on a plane since they can also be used in a hotel room while working.

For the leisure flyers, the flight is actually part of the vacation. If it's part of the vacation, then it had better be fun, and it had better be entertaining. The more toys, bells and whistles, the better the experience.

The question is, when road-warriors go on vacation, do they only choose airlines with IFE?

I think worldperks has it summed up, in a much more appealing manner than the insults IP dished out.

Spending a vast majority of my time working, IFE is an added bonus in the unlikely event I cannot sleep, and NW's jukebox feature takes forever to get squared away  Smile In response to his question, new carriers, new equipment, and routings all take precedence over IFE.

I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson

cba

Thu May 13, 2004 7:07 am

I recall flying transatlantic 9+ hours 5-10 years ago before all of this new IFE and PTV stuff came around. I remember the big screens that used to fold down, and everyone would watch the inflight movie and then go to sleep for the flight. The PTV's are nice mainly because you have a movie selection. The games get boring after about 20 minutes, as do the TV shows. I found myself reading and trying to sleep most of the time, as I did before IFE.

dontlikeairbus

Thu May 13, 2004 7:17 am

i think some sort of IFE is a MUST
i dont really care for my own PTV or cable or 50 audio channels
but a movie or two on a flight 6+ hours makes a world of difference

Richard28

Thu May 13, 2004 7:17 am

I continue to find it fascinating that many a.netters want to argue airline-induced surveys that conclude IFE isn’t the highest in-flight priority among passengers.

I hardly call this evidence, more like media spin to defend their product.

irrespective of wants/and not wants, to have IFE is to have a choice - I would prefer to have that choice.

JGPH1A

Thu May 13, 2004 9:28 pm

Well obviously on DL, because the IFE they provide is such rubbish, and they make you pay to watch (on Domestic flights). Duh !

I think you would find the answers markedly different on airlines that do actually provided free multichannel video entertainment.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers