7574EVER
Topic Author

Aviation Lovers Back Where We Belong

Fri May 14, 2004 5:00 am

Hey all,

I remember reading awhile back that, on a trial basis, PIT was going to begin letting unticketed "cattle" through security and back into the gate area once again. Since then I haven't heard anything more. Does anyone know how this is going or has it not started yet?

[Edited 2004-05-13 22:22:52]
Right rudder....Right rudder...Come on, more right rudder....Right rudder......Aw forget it, I quit!!

alphascan

RE: Aviation Lovers Back Where We Belong

Fri May 14, 2004 5:13 am

I thought it was PIT.
"To he who only has a hammer in his toolbelt, every problem looks like a nail."

GSPSPOT

Fri May 14, 2004 5:14 am

I think they were testing it at PIT (any other locations?) to see how it went first, before making it nationwide...
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

7574EVER
Topic Author

Fri May 14, 2004 5:22 am

My apologize, I guess I was mistaken about the airport. Thanks for the correction.
Right rudder....Right rudder...Come on, more right rudder....Right rudder......Aw forget it, I quit!!

ssides

Fri May 14, 2004 5:26 am

I still don't think it was approved ... last I heard, TSA was just considering their request.

I think it's a dumb idea.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

AA737-823

Fri May 14, 2004 5:33 am

I think it's a great idea. It's good for the economy (more families going through and eating before relatives get on planes) and it's good for other things too. And I really don't think (I did at first, until I realized how slack security remains even to this day) that the NUMBERS of people being processed will hurt security much.
R

PA110

Fri May 14, 2004 5:33 am

As much as I would love for spotters and enthusiasts to have access to airport terminals, it really can't come at the cost or convenience of the actual passengers. The TSA is still not up to the task, and already lengthy security lines would get even longer, if families and especially ethnic extended families were once again clogging terminas to see a single relative off. Family/wellwisher to passenger ratios of 20 to 1 are not uncommon in some cultures. This only creates overcrowding and delays, not only at security, but at gate areas as well. At the moment, the TSA is just not up to the task of handling any more than they already do. Also, from a safety perspective, the more passengers passing through security increases the chances that something slips through.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

JMV

Fri May 14, 2004 5:40 am

If this were extended to ATL, it would be a nightmare. Monday morning ATL had a half-mile line to get through security. This amounted to a 80 to 90 minute wait. Passengers were lined up outside the airport.

As much as I would love for non-passengers to get to the gate area, I can't see this happening unless something major is done to improve and speed-up security screening.
Google begins where my brain ends! ©

7574EVER
Topic Author

Fri May 14, 2004 5:44 am

The TSA is still not up to the task, and already lengthy security lines would get even longer - PA110

Yes, while more people will be going through security and the lines will get longer, in my opinion they won't be any longer than the days before 9-11.

It's been my experience that checking the tickets and ID's is what seems to hold up the lines the most. The actual security screening seems to go by rather quickly (the same couldn't be said a year ago).

So the way I see it, if the unticked were allowed passed security there would be no need to check tickets which may alleviate much of the congestion. I'm not saying that I don't believe it may take slightly longer, but I think the effect would be miniscule.

iflyatldl

Fri May 14, 2004 5:54 am

I gotta agree with JMV as far as ATL is concerned. I was through there Monday evening and was relieved I didn't have to make a connecting flight. When you have those multiple flight banks and as many pax trying to make connecting flights, it's a little easier not having as many people in the concourse areas. But, as a fellow spotter, a bummer.  Sad What ATL needs is a dedicated Observation Area.  Big thumbs up
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

rev3oh2

Fri May 14, 2004 6:28 am

I talked to the head of airport operations here in CLT, a major US Airways hub, and he's all in favor of letting unticketed people through. He was going to put in a request if PIT was approved for it.

Part of the problem here is that most of CLT's passengers are simply changing planes. And all of the airport shops are inside the security area, not outside. Bad for business!

...let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.