Bruce
Topic Author

Superstitious?

Wed Feb 09, 2000 2:52 pm

I was wondering if any of you who fly the planes do anything different or have any unusual routines that you do before a flight to ensure your safety.

What I'm talking about is things like saying a prayer, carrying any lucky charms (i.e. rabbit's foot or a picture of your wife taped to the control yoke), or anything else that might be "different" but that you always do before you take to the skies?
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

Pilot1113

RE: Superstitious?

Wed Feb 09, 2000 3:02 pm

I always carry a picture of my closest girl-friend with me in my log book. I always carry it because it keeps me going knowing that (and I quote her) she'll "always be my #1 passenger and fan!"

She can't wait for me to become an airline pilot. Sometimes, I think that's why I'm doing this... I don't want to let her down.

We're not dating or anything like that... we're just good, close friends.

- Neil Harrison

asqx

Wed Feb 09, 2000 3:17 pm

Ok, I have this little stuffed "thing" (red, beard, pointy tail, horns) that I call my little "Gremlin". He rides co-pilot with me whenever my instructor is not there and sits in the back the rest of the time!

Superstitious, perhaps, but noting bad has happened yet! Then again, I fly Tampicos, I need all the luck I can get! [G]

Regards,
ASQX

UAL747

Wed Feb 09, 2000 3:24 pm

Whenever I step onto a plane, as I'm coming down the jetway, I always touch the aircraft on the outside skin, near the entry door. I guess it's my way of patting it and saying, take care of us old girl.
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

rominato

Ual747

Wed Feb 09, 2000 3:44 pm

LOL!! I do the same thing!!!  

Ual747 wrote:
-------------------------------
Whenever I step onto a plane, as I'm coming down the jetway, I always touch the aircraft on the outside skin, near the entry door. I guess it's my way of patting it and saying, take care of us old girl.

Bruce
Topic Author

Wed Feb 09, 2000 3:44 pm

Well, I do the same thing - touch the outside near the door when I'm boarding. I didn't think of it as superstitious though.

I wonder if any pilots superstitiously kick the tires during the walk-around!  
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

Thu Feb 10, 2000 2:47 am

For many years I watched the military fighter pilots do this but never thought of it this way. Bet it was. This was years ago and I don't recall our newer pilots on the newer jets doing it. If you know the F-4 (USAF) aircraft, I wouldn't blame them if they kicked more than the tires!!!!

shankly

Thu Feb 10, 2000 3:06 am

If I'm about to get in an airliner - I remind myself that the guys up front are just having another day at the office.

If I'm about to get in the club Cessna - A thorough pre-flight check seems to work!
L1011 - P F M

teahan

Thu Feb 10, 2000 3:34 am

I am sure all the airlines would be very happy if everyone brought a rabbit's foot on board. NOT
I always touch the aircraft too.
Jeremiah Teahan
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos