travatl

AirTran Defends PHL Turf Against Southwest?

Fri May 14, 2004 6:15 am

This unusual (unusual for AirTran) press release was issued this afternoon regarding AirTran at Philadelphia.

Typically AirTran has always run from competition, especially Southwest, however this sounds like the boys in Orlando may be getting tired of hearing about the grandeur of WN at PHL....

Hmmmm.

http://www.businesswire.com/webbox/bw.051304/241345766.htm

Travis

DfwRevolution

RE: AirTran Defends PHL Turf Against Southwest?

Fri May 14, 2004 6:28 am

Well... WN has only been in PHL for, what, three days now? WN is gung-ho-ing it into PHL, which could easily weaken U.S. in the longrun. A weaker U.S. is better for FL than a stronger WN

just my 2 cents

ordpark

Fri May 14, 2004 6:31 am

sounds like someone's trying to set themselves up as the LEADER of the LCC's...if there is such a thing....

Don't quite understand the logic behind this release...

atrude777

Fri May 14, 2004 6:36 am

hehehe AirTran is desperate.....

On AirTran Airways, Philadelphia customers enjoy:

-- The youngest all-Boeing fleet in the country
-- Business Class on every flight
-- Advance seat assignments
-- Oversize overhead bins to accommodate business travelers' needs
-- Newly constructed four gate complex at Concourse D

-US Airways offers on MOST flights a business/first class flight as well.
-US Airways offers adavnced seat assignments as well
-AA offers the oversized bin head cabins, and I think Boeing places it on all Boeing aicrafts certainly the 757.

Sorry, but alot of other airlines also offer the same or very simliar things, and who cares about new constructed gates? As long as it works and it gets on the plane thats great!!!

another thing.....
With 19 flights per day from Philadelphia to six nonstop markets, AirTran Airways offers more flights from Philadelphia than any other low-fare airline.

Not for long....Did you hear about Southwest?!?!?!

"Our success in Philadelphia has paved the way for other low-fare airlines to enter the market as well as for legacy airlines to reduce their traditionally high fares which has stimulated the Philadelphia economy."

Can I just laugh?!?! So if AirTran has lowered the airfares at PHL then why is it JUST when Southwest Airlines enters PHL US Airways now lowers the fares and offering GOFARES. Sorry. I think WN is the first to "lower the fares at PHL"

In the summer, AirTran Airways will introduce the first of its 100 new Boeing 737-700 aircraft,

Guess what?!?! OH MY GOD Southwest Airlines is doing the same thing too!!!! They are also flying new 737-700's into PHL WOW!! WHO WOULD HAVE THUNK?!?!

AirTran Airways is Philadelphia's largest low-fare airline and the best choice for business travelers.

We will see soon enough.....

Iv said enough...go on..
Alex

[Edited 2004-05-13 23:41:24]
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

SouthwestMDW

Fri May 14, 2004 6:44 am

I totally agree with you Alex- Those reasons above don't make me want to fly AirTran anymore. Actually, living where I do right now (Chicago) I have the choice of 5 airlines I can take to Philadelphia, NONSTOP. Why would (probably lots of people) go AirTran and have to connect in ATL?

Even with AirTran at PHL, there is a fare war going on there between US Airways and Southwest, why throw another airline in? Almost everything that AirTran has, another airline has it, too.

Patrick

aa757first

Fri May 14, 2004 6:47 am

Original Low-Fare Carrier Stimulates Competition

Sorry! America West started service to PHL in 1994, before AirTran existed. I think PHL was an original ValuJet destination, but that really doesn't count, does it?

AAndrew

Cactus739

Fri May 14, 2004 6:51 am

Correct me if I'm wrong... but back in 1994 America West wasn't really a low fare carrier were they? It's just within the past couple of years that they trnasitioned to that.....
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

atrude777

Fri May 14, 2004 6:54 am

Aa757first- You are correct AWA was indeed the first LCC to enter PHL, however its grown so large I consider it a legacy carrier now but your are correct about it.

SouthwestMDW- Yeah FL offers the SAME thing that the legacy carriers do and Southwest offers the same!! So WHO CARES? While its true that AirTran has what it says its not the FIRST or ONLY to have it!!

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Fri May 14, 2004 6:57 am

AirTran Defends PHL Turf Against Southwest?

Do you think all the staff were instructed to urinate around the terminal

CactusA319

Fri May 14, 2004 6:59 am

-- Business Class on every flight
-- Advance seat assignments
-- Oversize overhead bins to accommodate business travelers' needs

These are all thing Southwest DOESN'T offer, and that's really who they're aiming at with this release. Basically the release is Airtran's way of saying, "Hey we're still here!" Kind of unecesary if you ask me...

deltaflyertoo

Fri May 14, 2004 7:01 am

Cactus739:

HP has always positioned itself as a LCC from its beginings in the early 80s.

aa757first

Fri May 14, 2004 7:06 am

Cactus739,

America West was always a low fare career. Click on the link on the bottom and watch the first TV ad. I'll post a transcript.

(1983 HP commercial. Geeky man is inside of an airplane)
Narrarator: Air jet travel isn't the same anymore.
Passenger: My assigned seat! This is a low fare airline?
F/A: (Hands the man a newspaper) Its complementary.
Passenger: This is a low fare airline?
F/A: Cocktail? Its part of the service!
Narrator: To Phoenix, the West and Midwest, America West.
Singers: America West Airlines!

http://www.cactuswings.com/hp/video/index.html

AAndrew

usairways85

Fri May 14, 2004 7:24 am

It should be interesting if Airtran actually does anything about Southwest's new competition. I mean Airtran has been adding a lot of Florida service lately, but they continue to drop 2-4 flts during the summer and only serve PBI, and RSW seasonally. If they really want to compete with Southwest they ought to reconsider dropping these flts.

DfwRevolution

Fri May 14, 2004 7:41 am

And this week's John Leahy Award of Pathetic P.R. goes to-

quickmover

Fri May 14, 2004 8:58 am

FL has a product that is enourmously better than WN. I like assigned seats. I like business class. USAir customers also like these things but maybe not what they cost. FL came into BWI after WN had ran out USAir. BWI is now the 2nd largest station for FL. The only thing FL needs are more aircraft and thats about to change with 100 additional 737s on the way. Looks like WN has more to worry about than FL.

isitsafenow

Fri May 14, 2004 9:45 am

Airtran really does have a better product to offer the flying public. However, Southwest has them beat in another department....Number of aircraft in service today. PHL can be owned overnight(short period of time) by Southwest if they wish to reposition planes from MDW, LAS, LAX and PHX. The plan is a slow kill toward the competition as successfully done at BWI. Airtran is NOT in Southwests sights....yet. Airtrans statement is merely letting people know not to forget Airtran and not to get pre-occupied by all the Southwest hype.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

propilotjw

Fri May 14, 2004 9:57 am

I say good job for AirTran. All we have been hearing about in PHL for the last few months is about Southwests big boom into PHL. Everyone is looking and wondering about Southwest and how we should all fly them. I think AirTran is just letting everyone know that "Hey, we were here first, we are still here, and we are planning on being here for the long run". It is stupid to point out the little things and put down AirTran just for letting this release out. (Atrude777) I think it is great that AirTran is running away from Southwest.

aa757first

Fri May 14, 2004 10:16 am

Looks like WN has more to worry about than FL.

Hasn't WN won every battle they fought in the past?

AAndrew

wedgetail737

Fri May 14, 2004 10:16 am

I think Air Tran and Southwest will coexist well together. Together, they will keep the fares out of PHL low. US Airways needs a new business plan if they want to stay alive...since they have one of the highest costs in the airline industry.

Cheers to both WN and FL!

atrude777

Fri May 14, 2004 10:26 am

Propilotjw-
I think it is great that AirTran is running away from Southwest.

where does it say AirTRan is running away?? do u mean staying and fighting?

To the others---I agree AirTran is probably annoyed by this hype about Southwest Airlines at PHL and is NOT letting the flying public forget about them....HOWEVER, what they have mentioned we ALREADY KNOW and is nothing new that other airlines have. The things they are pointing out the carriers also have...AA, DL, UAL they all have F/C and business seats. Now, if they were pointing at Southwest, I agree Southwest doesnt have that stuff, BUT they do have alot of flights to/from PHL, they do have new 737-700's. I CAN say FL did NOT help lower the fares at PHL. FL and ATA was the only LC at PHL and both charged high prices or even with the legacy carriers. Now when US Airways hears WN is starting PHL, what does US Airways do? THEY LOWER THE PRICES!!! to whats called GoFares! Did they do it when ATA entered the market? Did they do it when FL entered the market? NO. I hope FL does well in PHL and I hope Southwest does too God luck to both of them..

Alex

quickmover

Fri May 14, 2004 10:28 am

"Hasn't WN won every battle they fought in the past?"

Has WN ever done battle with a carrier that also has cost of 6.5 cents per mile?

A330323X

Fri May 14, 2004 10:39 am

Now when US Airways hears WN is starting PHL, what does US Airways do? THEY LOWER THE PRICES!!! to whats called GoFares! Did they do it when ATA entered the market? Did they do it when FL entered the market? NO.

Yes, they did. US matches fares, at least in the low end, in all markets where it competes with FL/TZ/HP/etc. How do you think US ran FL out of markets like PIT-PHL/CHI/LGA? They just didn't make a big deal about it and give it a name.

In fact, in the original WN markets, there were *already* low fares on those routes as a result of US's competition with FL/TZ/HP. (WN lowered fares to PVD, but there were already low US fares to BOS.)
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

propilotjw

Fri May 14, 2004 10:44 am

yes I meant to say that I thinkit is great that AirTran IS NOT runing away from Southwest. Thanks Alex.

goingboeing

Fri May 14, 2004 10:45 am

Has WN ever done battle with a carrier that also has cost of 6.5 cents per mile?

No, but they DID do battle against Braniff and Texas International (aka Continental) with a fleet of only 3 airplanes.

gr8slvrflt

Fri May 14, 2004 10:47 am

Most of the public probably does not know that AirTran offers many major airline-type amenities at Southwest-type fares. Reminding the public that AirTran is in Philadelphia already with service superior to Southwest and fares that were always as low as US Airways' "GO Fares" seems like good marketing to me.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

atrude777

Fri May 14, 2004 10:56 am

PropilotJW-no problem. Big grin

To the rest---I agree with all you say, it seems a type of "in-your-face-southwest" to em because its syaing Southwest look at what WEEE HAVE!! When they forgot there are 7-8 OTHER Airlines they alos have to compete with as well. Thats all I see when I read the letter they put out.

Alex

usairways85

Fri May 14, 2004 10:58 am

Atrude777: "gofares" is just a marketing ploy because US needs to make its lowered fares much more publically known than it has before. Airtran and ATA may not have scared US much, but they have put up a fight. In fact i think Airtran's presence in PHL grew by 17% last year. And like stated before US did in fact lower prices on routes that it competed with LCC's. Airtran had only 3 daily flts PHL-BOS and US matched with $90 one-way fares even with their 15 daily flts. Now Airtran will add 11 weekly flts PHL-BOS this summer.

quickmover

Fri May 14, 2004 11:00 am

The people who run FL are not lightweights. These people have in 5 years gone from a carrier on the brink with 25-30 old dc9s, 10 mil in cash and empty seats to 76 nearly new 717s, 100 new 737s on order, 76% Load factor and over 400 mil. in cash. WN is obviously bigger and profitable as well. You certainly can't take anything away from them, but FL is on the way. They have certainly looked at how WN has succeeded and tried to improve on that while keeping the costs the same. FL isn't some startup with 5-6 old jets trying to be WN. They will be one of the majors (rev. over 1 bil.) within a year.

ATA767

Fri May 14, 2004 11:16 am

"FL and ATA was the only LC at PHL and both charged high prices or even with the legacy carriers."

That is absolutely a false statement. ATA has always priced less to MDW and connecting destinations. After all ATA has a cap of $299 each way on any of its fares so it is not possible for them to match the gouging fares of US.

atrude777

Fri May 14, 2004 11:21 am

ATA767- You will have to excuse me I meant they charge higher prices then Southwest does, but i didnt know ATA caps at 299 each way as well I cannot view ata.com due to my browser, thks for the correction.
Alex

grrtvc

Fri May 14, 2004 12:20 pm

Folks, I think the point AirTran is trying to make here is that they are just as successful, in most respects, as Southwest. There has been a lot of publicity about SW starting service out of PHL. Right, wrong, or indifferent AirTran is just saying that they are an established airline and deserve to have a little back-patting themselves.

I agree though, this does seem to make you say hmmm? Why just put out a press release to say "I'm over here! Don't forget about me!" It seems like they could have incorporated this type a PR into a new service release.

My two cents....

flamant15

Fri May 14, 2004 2:27 pm

This press release serves two main purposes for FL.

1. This tells the general public, "Hello we are AirTran and we are here along with Southwest and US Airways"

2. This tells the PHL business community, "We offer everything US Airways does but at a close to Southwest price."

The assumption is that US Airways will go out of business and PHL businesses will choose AirTran over Southwest for future travel arrangements.

Go FL, I think you are in a perfect spot to take over for US Airways when they lose their grip in PHL.

PHLBOS

Fri May 14, 2004 11:30 pm

When I first joined a.net over a month ago, my first post related to AirTran's future plans at PHL as well as how they may respond to WN setting up shop at the neighboring terminal and establish competing routes (mainly to Florida).

With all the recent hoopla regarding WN starting service in PHL (there were also some pickets from the WN flight attendants union regarding their working without a contract for the last 2 years at the Terminal E entrance this past Monday), it was only a matter of time that FL would start to say something to let travelers know, many of which would not have considered flying if WN didn't come, that they too offer low fares, new aircraft, plus have affordable business class upgrades ($35) as well as serve many airports that WN won't go (ex. ATL, BOS, maybe non-stop DFW service in the future).

Keep in mind, as it was stated earlier, last year FL experienced the largest growth out of any airline operating out of PHL. IMHO, they could have done a litte more aggressive expansion out of PHL. They knew WN was coming just as long as everyone else did.

While FL is no 'sleeping giant', they aren't a lightweight either; it looks like they finally woke up in PHL.

Sometimes one has to wonder if one of WN's 'minor' reasons for going for PHL was a 'pay back' for FL going and expanding at BWI for the last 2 years.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

quickmover

Fri May 14, 2004 11:40 pm

"While FL is no 'sleeping giant', they aren't a lightweight either; it looks like they finally woke up in PHL.

Sometimes one has to wonder if one of WN's 'minor' reasons for going for PHL was a 'pay back' for FL going and expanding at BWI for the last 2 years. "

I think you are right about this. Notice some of the routes that WN started with: MCO, TPA, MAN, PVD, PBI, FLL. Granted, the main competitor here is USAir, but I think this is a shot a FL as well. FL has done very well at BWI and that was going up against an entrenched WN. FL will have no problem holding their own at PHL and if USAir goes away it will be a bonanza. I've often wondered though that if FL would have used their 4 gates at PHL more aggressively last year and had somewhere in the range of 40-45 departures instead of 19 (aircraft permitting), would WN have applied their resources elsewhere?

PHLBOS

Sat May 15, 2004 12:38 am

In the summer, AirTran Airways will introduce the first of its 100 new Boeing 737-700 aircraft,

Guess what?!?! OH MY GOD Southwest Airlines is doing the same thing too!!!! They are also flying new 737-700's into PHL WOW!! WHO WOULD HAVE THUNK?!?!

Whoa there Atrude777,

FL's initial announcement about their 737 aircraft order was about a year ago; months before WN's first PHL announcement. Second, the initial 737s will replace the wet-leased Ryan International A320s FL's presently using for its longer and higher volume routes.

I don't know if FL is planning on flying any 737s out of PHL just yet. maybe next year.

I've often wondered though that if FL would have used their 4 gates at PHL more aggressively last year and had somewhere in the range of 40-45 departures instead of 19 (aircraft permitting), would WN have applied their resources elsewhere?

Quickmover,

While FL does have use of 4 gates (D12, D14, D15, & D16), I have never seen all 4 them in use (boarding/deboarding) at the same time... at least not on Saturday mornings. I'm not 100% sure about other peak periods. At best, I've seen them use 3 out of the 4.

Although your question has been asked before, it's still a good one.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

JGPH1A

Sat May 15, 2004 12:43 am

Re: "Notice some of the routes that WN started with: MCO, TPA, MAN, PVD, PBI"

PHL-MAN is a LOOONG way to go on just peanuts ! Maybe you meant MHT...
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

usairways85

Sat May 15, 2004 12:46 am

Airtran doesnt lease D12....only D14, D15, and D16. I've never seen them use D12.

quickmover

Sat May 15, 2004 12:47 am

PHLBOS,
I read somewhere a while back that PHL would make more gates available to FL if they wanted them. Maybe those were the ones that WN took? I guess it doesn't matter right now anyway because of a lack of jets. Most of the 717 deliverys this year will only replace the jet connect rjs anyway.

By the way, I read on another thread that ATL was going to 30 gates. Does anyone know where those gates are coming from?

PHLBOS

Sat May 15, 2004 12:59 am

Airtran doesnt lease D12....only D14, D15, and D16. I've never seen them use D12.

I think I saw them use D12 once, maybe due to some maintenance work being performed around D14 (apron side) and D15 and D16 being occupied; I could be wrong.

All this brings up one question: Who uses D12?  Confused

Other than the above-instance, I've never seen any other plane parked at that gate.

7e72004

Sat May 15, 2004 1:13 am

If US did go under or had to scale down...would they be able to convert part of the F terminal into regular jet gates?
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

PHLBOS

Sat May 15, 2004 2:39 am

If US did go under or had to scale down...would they be able to convert part of the F terminal into regular jet gates?

At present, gates F11 & F13 can handle small mainline jets. FL used these gates while Hammerhead D was under construction. Including those 2 gates, Terminal F has a total of 38 gates; however there are some gates (F2, F4, F6, F8, F12, F14, F16, F18, F20 and maybe F22) that do not have any jet bridges. These gates primarily serve US Express' turboprops (mostly Dash 8s). To convert F to allow for more mainline jets, one would have to eliminate every other gate and then some, and possibly upgrade/replace some jet bridges to a type that would fit a larger type aircraft (Design Group III or IV). The building itself would probably need an expanded baggage claim but not much else.

Anyway, should US cease operations, there would be plenty of available gates at Terminals A-West, B, C, plus gate D2 and D4 available for anybody who would want them. A conversion of Terminal F would not be necessary, at least not in the short term.

7e72004

Sat May 15, 2004 2:42 am

So US still uses D-2 and D-4...i remember flying US back in december of 1989 and we departed out of D-4 and i think they also used D-6 and D-8 if i am not mistaken.

PHLBOS

Sat May 15, 2004 2:51 am

So US still uses D-2 and D-4...i remember flying US back in december of 1989 and we departed out of D-4 and i think they also used D-6 and D-8 if i am not mistaken.

As of last March, when I last flew on FL; US still uses D2 & D4. US might've used D6 & D8 back in '89, but then again, EA and Midway (I) were still alive at Terminal C. D6 & D8 may have been former-Piedmont gates; PI merged into US during that year. I can't confirm this since I didn't set foot in Philadelphia let alone PHL until 1990.

7e72004

Sat May 15, 2004 2:53 am

PHL has changed a lot...i pulled some old pictures from the 80s of phl with the ugly green/blue concourses...at the time there were only B,C,D, and E...and the TWA hangar was still there which is of course now gone  Crying

PHLBOS

Sat May 15, 2004 2:57 am

...and the TWA hangar was still there which is of course now gone

You can thank the Terminal A-West project for the demise of the old TWA hangar.

7e72004

Sat May 15, 2004 2:59 am

I know...it is kind of weird when i think of how concourse B was on the end.

PHLBOS

Sat May 15, 2004 3:03 am

I know...it is kind of weird when i think of how concourse B was on the end.

Physically, Terminal A (now A-East) was there since 1975; for some reason, it just didn't open until 1991-92.

7e72004

Sat May 15, 2004 3:09 am

correct me if i am wrong but they did not build the A terminal until 1993 or so...i remember arriving on a USAir flight from FLL and we arrived on the west side of the terminal and had to wait in a "penalty box" where A is now at.

PHLBOS

Sat May 15, 2004 3:26 am

Nope, the building shell was there since the mid-70s. Around 1990, there was an expansion built where gates A6, A8, A10, A12 and A13 are now.

Not to get political, but A-East openned during the first Bush administration. I am not quite sure as towards whether it opened before, during or after Desert Storm.

That 'penalty box' you were may have been over by the Cargo City hangars, including the late-great TWA hangar. I'm not positive on that.

7e72004

Sat May 15, 2004 3:30 am

i see...didn't Mexicana use the B concourse for a while? (a little off the subject  Smile