planenutz

Are There Any DC-8s Still In Pax Service?

Wed Feb 09, 2000 5:38 pm

Does anybody know if there are any DC-8s in scheduled passenger service (not charter or cargo) anywhere in the world?

If not, does anybody know the last one(s) were taken out of service?
Not all who wander are lost....

MEA-707

RE: Are There Any DC-8s Still In Pax Service?

Wed Feb 09, 2000 7:31 pm

There are no scheduled passenger DC-8s left. The only DC-8s with seats are a handful of VIP and military transport-aircraft.
The last DC-8 pax services were flown in 1996. Rich International, which ceased in October 1996, was a charter carrier but I presume they operated some scheduled services as well... who knows more about Rich operations?
It's a photo-finish with Air Marshall Islands, which used one Arrow Air DC-8 (N799AL) in combi-configuration. They also returned that DC-8 in October 1996 to the lessor. The back of the aircraft contained 81 Economy seats, and they had one or two roundtrips a week to the Marshall Islands (I guess from Hawaii), which were published in OAG.
Some pax- DC-8s exist, stored in good condition. So maybe an airline returns this beauty in service once. One of my greatest wishes is to ever fly on a DC-8. But I guess I have to try to make a deal with cargo operators. Does anyone have experience with that?
More details on the status of all individual DC-8s on website http://people.a2000.nl/sverb
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?