OnePassCzar
Topic Author

Internship W/ CO

Sat May 15, 2004 2:27 am

Hey. I am a student interested in a semester internship w/ Continental Airlines. Are there any insiders out there who can tell me who I can talk to about getting a position in Houston?

OnePassCzar
Work Hard. Fly Right.

drerx7

RE: Internship W/ CO

Sat May 15, 2004 3:07 am

I had a summer internship with them but it was prior to 9-11 and it was via a tie with one of the executives.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

OnePassCzar
Topic Author

Sat May 15, 2004 4:00 am

Do you know if they actually have a program, or was it just arranged on the occasion?
Work Hard. Fly Right.

drerx7

Sat May 15, 2004 4:20 am

Well--they use to have a Summer Ambassader program--not sure if it is still around; mine was arranged on special occasion. I was at the 1600 Smith St. Headquarters.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

modesto2

Sat May 15, 2004 6:23 am

You may also want to consider other airlines. This summer, I'm interning with JetBlue's Technical Operations department at their Forest Hills HQ in Queens. Airline internships are somewhat scarce, but if you're determined and do a thorough search, you can find something. Good luck.

OnePassCzar
Topic Author

Sat May 15, 2004 2:22 pm

Thank you. I will keep checking w/ a few airlines.
Work Hard. Fly Right.

Sat May 15, 2004 9:31 pm

I believe Continental has a formal program. Normally with large airline's internship programs, they must have some sort of formal contact with your school. Internship qualifications vary depending on the department. I'm most familiar with flight operations internships, and they normally require a commercial license, clean driving record, and excellent grades.

FullThrottle

Sun May 16, 2004 1:57 am

This is kind of related. I am doing an internship with Alaska over the summer. I go from June 21 - August 27 and get 10 credits. When I was at my interview they said that there were over 200 applicants and only 12 interns. The schools for the Alaska Airlines internship are: Purdue, UND, Embry Riddle (Florida and Arizona) and of course Central Washington University.
I had to go through a background check, drug/alcohal test, 2 internviews and a work history check. I don't have the best grades 3.4 gpa but I explained how I had to work hard for my grades and put in extra effort to do well. They also wanted to know about leadership positions that I have had over the years. I was the Assistant Captain and team president of our schools ice hockey team so that went a long way.
Central is also sending one intern to Horizon and one to Jet blue. I hope this helps

OnePassCzar
Topic Author

Sun May 16, 2004 2:46 am

Yes it does. I have been going over JetBlue's website and it seems pretty cool. I can understand the interest in the positions ("they said that there were over 200 applicants and only 12 interns") which explains why they don't advertise them so openly as they might.
Work Hard. Fly Right.