backfire

Reclining Your Seat - A Right Or Privilege?

Sat May 15, 2004 2:32 am

One of those "how would you handle..." situations:

A couple of days ago I was on a long-haul flight where the woman in the seat ahead of mine insisted on trying to recline it.

It doesn't usually bother me. But this aircraft had a very narrow seat pitch which was fairly incompatible with the length of my legs. Which meant that, as this lady tried to recline, the seat jammed against my legs and wouldn't go back any further - despite her thumping it.

Just when I thought she'd resign herself to the idea that she wouldn't be able to fully recline the seat, she asked a flight attendant for help. He promptly braced himself against the seat and gave it an almighty shove.

Given that I was reading at the time, and didn't know what was about to happen, the first I knew about it was the sudden painful jarring in my knees and thigh bones.

Now I'm normally fairly patient with my fellow passengers, and even on this occasion I didn't make a fuss. But I do wonder whether people ought to consider the poor person behind them before they put their seat back - and start seeing the "recline" button as a privilege rather than some God-given right.

Any long-legged passengers out there feel the same?

Or are you the recline-at-all-costs type? Big grin

7e72004

RE: Reclining Your Seat - A Right Or Privilege?

Sat May 15, 2004 2:36 am

I think if you are flying you should be expected to expect ( Smile) the person in front of you may want to recline their seat. If you don't want that then try to get the bulkhead or an exit row  Big thumbs up
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

BCAInfoSys

Sat May 15, 2004 2:39 am

I see both sides of the issue.. I'm a big guy, (6'4" with particularly long legs), so I always hate it when the guy in front of me reclines. But at the same time, I always want to recline mine.

So I would say that this a right and not a privilage. You paid for the seat, and you have the right to recline it. Granted, courtesy and consideration would go a long way towards peace with your fellow passengers, but if you really want to put your seat back, you have that right. And the guy behind you will ultimately have to put up (the $$$ for 1st class) or shutup.
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

7e72004

Sat May 15, 2004 2:40 am

How about the kid that sits in back of you and keeps hitting your seat when you recline  Angry
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

snnams

Sat May 15, 2004 2:44 am

I only ever recline if the seat behind me is empty, the person behind me in asleep and won't care, or if I've asked them. Simple eh?  Wink/being sarcastic

I know it's more comfortable reclined, but some people just seem to feel entitled to increase their personal space at the expense of yours at the most inconvenient of times..i.e when trying to eat, read, watch IFE etc etc.. it drives me insane! and i'm only 5ft 10"!

itsjustme

Sat May 15, 2004 2:48 am

I always make it a point to sloooooowly recline my seat. That way, it gives the person sitting behind me time to adjust their legs or stablize whatever might be on their tray. It also gives me the ability to stop reclining the second I feel any sort of resistance. I feel that comfort is a convenience, not a right.

GSPSPOT

Sat May 15, 2004 2:52 am

It's very simple.... Since the airlines and/or manufacturers provide this feature for every seat in the plane (with a few safety-related exceptions), this shouldn't even be an issue. The recline shouldn't even be offered in the first place if it's considered to be an imposition on other pax.
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

Sean-SAN-

Sat May 15, 2004 2:57 am

Unfortunately, if your legs are too long to be comfortable, you should secure an exit row (perhaps if you're elite on AA or UA) or pay the extra for first class. Everyone should be able to recline their seat.

This actually happened to me two years ago on SAN-LGW on BA, a tall guy behind me asked me to move my seat up because he didn't have any room. I said no, so he called the attendant. The flight attendant asked me again and I said no, and she told the guy there was nothing she could do. The guy then started cussing and taunting me -- which motivated me to recline my seat to the maximum recline  Big grin..

iowa744fan

Sat May 15, 2004 3:16 am

I personally hate the recline option. I am 6'2", so my knees are often already to the seat in front of me. If the person in front of me reclines, I leave my knees there so that they feel it bumping into something. Usually, they get the hint and don't recline. By the same idea, I don't recline my seat unless there is no one behind me. I don't want people to do it to me, so I don't do it to them.

Thankfully, as a loyal United customer, I am usually able to get the E-Plus area if flying coach, in which case I will recline if I wish to sleep.

Personally, I feel that it is a right that you get when you buy a more expensive seat...usually in the front of the plane.

Leskova

Sat May 15, 2004 3:18 am

I've collected a few unpleasant dents in my knees (I'm 1.89m tall, but have upper legs that are a bit longer than they would normally be for a person of that height) throughout the years - it annoys the hell out of me if people just recline their seat in one big push backwards: I always, just like Itsjustme, push the seat back slowly - it doesn't reduce the comfort for me and the person behind me can get his or her legs sorted out...

I think that this little bit of consideration for the person sitting behind you is really not too much to ask.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

yegspotter

Sat May 15, 2004 3:31 am

I am 6'2" tall, and have fairly long legs. On numerous occasions I have also had to endure the pain of a less than considerate person sitting in front of me, reclining the seat fully back. Now, I'm not saying that people should recline their seats back, I would just like to see some consideration for the person sitting behind them, and suggest to everyone that they don't "fully" recline the seat. I will generally recline my seat back, but only a few inches. Obviously, if the seat directly behind me is not occupied, then I recline fully. I remember one long haul flight where I had the seat back jammed into my knees - every time I moved, my knees would jar the seat in front of me (I'll admit that I wasn't "gentle" when jarring the seat in front of me.) Eventually, the person in front of me became a little irritated at me hitting his seat repeatedly, and turned around to tell me so. I noticed that this gentleman was about the same height as me, so I immediately asked him to sit in my seat and see if he could move without jarring the seat in front. He proceeded to try this, and immediately apologized to me for having his seat so far back. Fortunately, that situation worked out for the best, but there are many that don't. My philosophy is this: If I have to put up with a fully reclined seat, the person in front of me has to put up with me kicking (jarring) their seat repeatedly.

That's my 2 cents

Cheers

N6376M

Sat May 15, 2004 3:50 am

Like any discussion of rights, this one can't be analyzed without a discussion of the responsibilities that attach.

While it may be your right (either legally or just in the sense that it is fair) to recline your seat, I think that everyone has a responsibility to be civil to their fellow passengers. To me that means not reclining your seat quickly or without checking if the passenger behind you has their laptop open. I personally am 6 ft tall and I almost never recline my seat.

On most domestic trips, I'm hardly ever on a plane for more than an hour and a half to two hours and I feel that I can endure the slight discomfort for about this long. When I fly cross country, I feel that everyone has the right to stretch out but I make it a habit to ask whether the person behind me would mind. Most people appreciate the gesture. A few times someone has asked me to hold off reclining until they finished their meal (which I've done).

I think that a little bit our courtesy and consideration resolves just about all the issues. But if someone is so large that they can comfortably fit into a coach seat, I believe that it's up to them to get a business or first class seat either by purchasing it or upgrading.

todd727

Sat May 15, 2004 3:54 am

Here is a website that sells an anit recline device. http://www.kneedefender.com/

AC

Sat May 15, 2004 3:55 am

As my legs are not long (I m only 5'11), I feel the leg space is "acceptable" even the seat in front is fully reclined. But as I like to have some writings or readings on the table, it is a bit hard to do so if the seat in front is not straight. However, as I feel it is the right for all passengers, I have never asked the pax in front to resume the position and I won't hit the seat in front.

I Believe I Can Fly...

PA110

Sat May 15, 2004 3:56 am

Seat recline is neither a right nor a priveledge. It simply exists. Reclining one's seat should be a matter of common sense, and more importantly, common courtesy. Recline slowly, and have some measure of understanding for those behind you.

That being said, I believe that any airline offering seat pitches of 31" or less, should probably not even bother having seats that recline. There is already so little room, even an average sized passenger will feel squeezed by a reclining seat in front. But, that's just my opinion.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

mikedlayer

Sat May 15, 2004 4:03 am

I think it's a priviledge certainly, airlines don't have to let your seats recline if they didn't want to, yet if today airlines made aircraft with non-reclining seats there would be a huge upheavel and they'd most probably go bust on their opening day...

Mike

smcmac32msn

Recline Your Seat

Sat May 15, 2004 4:12 am

I think its a right to recline your seat, but its always a good idea to ask the person behind you (if there is one), if it is okay to recline the seat. I'm 6'1" and I have looong legs, so I usually find out if I can recline my seats.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

COEWR2587

Sat May 15, 2004 4:25 am

I agree w/ Itsjustme 100%. I first see what type of pax it is (heavy set, skinny, a child) so I can determine how much I can recline w/o bothering them. Then I recline slooowly to give them time to adjust and If a start to feel any resistance, it dosen't hurt them and I know to go back up just a tab.
Newark Airport...My Home Away From Home

pualani

Sat May 15, 2004 4:32 am

Todd727...The FAA has issued memos barring the use of the knee defender products so I wouldn't be purchasing a useless item.

I can't tell you how many confrontations I have had to diffuse over the years regarding this topic. The passenger in front has the right to recline their seat back. Passengers not understanding that and try to take matters into their own hands have been met by airport police. I encourage all tall passengers to try and book an exit row or bulk head seat as this will save you a lot of pain and aggravation.

pualani

RB211LTN

Sat May 15, 2004 4:42 am

I think recline is a right, not a privilege. When I was a trolley dolly, I used to insist that seats were upright for meal services but defended the right to recline at all other times. I like the fact that some will get the consent of the person behind, that is good mannered. Somehow I doubt the person in front of them will be quite so considerate.
If you are too tall to tolerate a reclined seat in front of you, get a bulkhead or exit seat or start saving and travel in a premium cabin.
The customer is always right.....unless he is a passenger!

jfkYYZ

Sat May 15, 2004 4:43 am

I've seen many confrontations on flights regarding this. At C6 I try to keep all the emergency row exit seats for people who are taller than average just because I can imagine the uncomfortable factor that happens when they are in a seat where they are having their knees jabbed by the seat in front. Though I wonder because I think our row 1 and 10 are the ones with the extra legroom(732). Meh once I get on our 735 I'll know for sure for both.

j.
j. in YYZ

MMEPHX

Sat May 15, 2004 5:03 am

The problem derives from the fact that airlines cram seats into aircraft at miniscule seat pitches. Seems to me that if the seat pitch doesn't allow for reasonable comfort for the passenger behind someone reclining a seat then the airline shouldn't offer the option or offer more legroom.

I'm 6' 4" and passengers reclining seats in front of me can be a problem but it somehow doesn't seem to be such a problem on AA with the more room throughout coach program. If only more airlines could follow that lead we'd all be more comfortable in flight .........but, ah yes that $350 coast to coast roundtrip would probably cost $375 and the majority wouldn't pay. We get what we pay for! So, cheap fares with debatable recline rights/privileges or more room for recline with a slightly higher fare?

Greg

Sat May 15, 2004 5:37 am

As long as it does not hinder the safety of an individual (not inconvenience), they you are able to recline your seat.

I you are inconvenienced by folks reclining, then you should have booked a class of service that gives you more room.

I think it's fairly simple.

Knee defenders are not FAA certified for use. As far as I know, that would make the airline liable (in the figurative sense) if they willingly let an individual use the device that may compromise the integrity of the seat design.

Personaly, I just fly up front. It's easier. And I don't pay, anyway.
On WN, I've never had the problem....oh..except that kicking child thing.

soaringadi

Sat May 15, 2004 10:37 am

If you were in the U.S. atleast, I'm sure you could sue the airline or the b*tch in front of you..... but you simply could have reported the situation, and have your seat exchanged with someone......

Happy flying  Smile
If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going !

ba97

Sat May 15, 2004 11:02 am

Knees and reclining seats....try your lap top. Several times I have had the seat in front recline and the top of the cavity that the folding table came down from catching and squeezing the screen of my laptop. Twice I had the frame start to buckle at the hinge.

there is economy class, business class, first class...then Concorde..pure class

access-air

Sat May 15, 2004 12:16 pm

I am a bigger person and the seat in front of me is sometimes near my face!!!!

Try having a person recline fully with a bad case of dandruff shoved in your direction....Now imgaine trying to use the pull down table and try and eat and have to look at that nappy old head of hair with all that flaking going on....yummy!!!

Exit rows dont work because Airlines dont want someone my size sitting there in an emergency to be incapcitated if someone would have to move me....

First or Business class is out of the question.....I simply cannot afford it.
Bulkhead seats are not always available either....

I just try to make the best of it. Some people dont care but most are very conscious of the fact that they are infringing on my personal space. I figure as long as my arse fits between the seat dividers I am entitled to my paid for space...
Those infront of me that insist on fully reclining even tho know they are invading my space and even impeding me form even getting up from my seat esp if Im on an aisle....Then they get a polite little thump in their seat until they get the message....That ususally works...
I NEVER, EVER recline my seat no matter what....I find it to be rude as I sit a full head taller than the whole seat back so I would never lean back in someone's face like that....how rude....

Thats all I have to say on the matter.

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

cjuniel

Sat May 15, 2004 12:48 pm

Seat recline is definitely a right. It becomes so when you purchase your ticket. Implying that it is a privilege is also implying that you need the permission of the person behind you to recline your seat. I am 6ft2, and while at times it does piss me off for someone to fully recline in front of me, I would NEVER comment on it because I like to recline also. Many times I just pay the extra money or deduct miles from my account and fly first class. But when I do fly coach, I look at it as one of the evils you deal with when you fly. You want extra legroom, then get a first or business class ticket and pay for it. Otherwise, you get what you pay for.

The interesting thing about the "recline debate" is many people that have a problem with the person in front of them reclining have NO problem reclining on the person behind them.

As a side note, the meal service debate is absolute bull. Every tray table I have seen has extra space in front of it just in case the person in front of you decides to recline while you have your tray down.

nonrevman

Sat May 15, 2004 2:24 pm

To most of us, it is certainly a right. If you think I am not going to recline my seat on an 8 hour overnight flight, you have got to be kidding. With that said, there are some issues of common courtesy which should come into play. I tend to recline the seat slowly not to startle whoever may be sitting behind me. Also, I dont often use this feature on a short flight. If someone behind me told me that thier knees would take a beating from having me recline the seat, then I might offer to switch seats with them.

StarCruiser

Sat May 15, 2004 3:13 pm

Don't you find it strange that so many keep saying it is their right to have a recline that inconveniences others? It's all "ME, ME, ME!" What's wrong with this picture? Whatever happened to common courtesy? I guess those self absorbed people would be the same ones to run over a little old lady in the grocery store parking lot too. People who think only of themselves are rude, obnoxious and disgusting. You make the whole world a harsher place. Someday, maybe you will learn some manners. For the record, I don't recline my chair more than an inch if someone is sitting behind me. Yes, it's just common courtesy.

COAB767

Sat May 15, 2004 3:40 pm

Everyone has the right to recline their seat.
Continental Micronesia: "Fly With The Warmth Of Paradise"

willo

Sat May 15, 2004 3:55 pm

Have a look at this recent thread for more debate on reclining seats:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1497601/4/

EAL1011500

Sat May 15, 2004 4:42 pm

As a 6'4" guy, if I HAVE to sit in Y, I make life a living hell for anyone who reclines on me...
Its actually pretty easy to push the seats back to the upright position with your knees. If you stand firmly, most people will back down...especially if you are as tall as myself!

waketurbulence

Sat May 15, 2004 5:06 pm

I understand both sides of the recline argument, but as a college student on a very tight budget with no premier status on any airline I am lucky if I can afford to fly in coach. I am 6'7'' tall and I HATE when people recline on me for the entire flight. I don't have any other option but to push their seat back up because my legs have nowhere else to go. And another thing, how am I going to secure an exit row, when sometimes the shortest people on the plane are in it, because they are premier members?

"Unfortunately, if your legs are too long to be comfortable, you should secure an exit row (perhaps if you're elite on AA or UA) or pay the extra for first class. Everyone should be able to recline their seat.

This actually happened to me two years ago on SAN-LGW on BA, a tall guy behind me asked me to move my seat up because he didn't have any room. I said no, so he called the attendant. The flight attendant asked me again and I said no, and she told the guy there was nothing she could do. The guy then started cussing and taunting me -- which motivated me to recline my seat to the maximum recline"

It is people like you that really piss me off!
-Matt

EAL1011500

Sat May 15, 2004 5:18 pm

It would seem Wake and myself are in the same boat, at least in spirit. The only option is to fight back, especially if it is some jackass kid in front of you. While I believe in civil discourse, there is a point for militancy. It really isn’t hard to force someone’s seat back up, and I will do it when I need to. Passive-aggressive gets the job done!. You see, if you were in front of me, I would not cuss or make a scene in anyway. Most likely, on a long haul at least, I would spill hot coffee across your lap. Of course this would be an "accident," yet the results would speak for themselves.
Point: if someone in front of you inconveniences you by reclining, you have many more ways of making their flight a living hell than vice versa.
Always trying to stay out of Y,
Chris

Dazed767

Sat May 15, 2004 6:35 pm

RECLINE!

What a childish debate. If moving your seat back 3'' is such a huge issue to some, then they need to sit in the premium cabin. They make them recline so EVERYONE can be a bit more comfortable, so use it.

If I find that knee defender on my seat, it's gonna find a new home inside the guy that put it there.  Big grin

Sat May 15, 2004 9:32 pm

I just try to make the best of it. Some people dont care but most are very conscious of the fact that they are infringing on my personal space. I figure as long as my arse fits between the seat dividers I am entitled to my paid for space...

Your personal space doesn't include what the airline has given to the person in front of you to recline their seat. If that space wasn't permitted for them, the airline wouldn't have enabled the seat to recline.

Those infront of me that insist on fully reclining even tho know they are invading my space and even impeding me form even getting up from my seat esp if Im on an aisle....Then they get a polite little thump in their seat until they get the message....That ususally works...

You must be really huge if you cannot get up when the seat in front of you is reclined. It's not like the seats in coach class recline very much at all. If you don't want a seat reclining at you, sit in the second exit row where the forward row's recline is restricted/prohibited. But if you can't get out of an airline seat row when it becomes 2 or 3 inches narrower, you may not be allowed to sit in the exit row as you won't fit out the overwing hatch.

Anybody thumping my seat would be asked to stop. If they do not cease, the flight attendant is the next step.

I NEVER, EVER recline my seat no matter what....

That's your prerogative, though it would regain the space for you.... unless you're one of those odd airliners.net people who always books the last row so you can be deafened by the engine.

I find it to be rude as I sit a full head taller than the whole seat back so I would never lean back in someone's face like that....how rude....

Sorry, but on a long flight, people are going to recline. Even on short flights, they may wish to sleep. It is not your right to interfere with that.

greasespot

Sat May 15, 2004 10:12 pm

I like how many people thing it is their god given right to recline their seat no matter who it impacts. Maybe that is what is wrong with society that it is getting to selfish.

If someone is going to be uncomfortable so you can be a little more comfortable why bother. It is not like you will be in pain if you cannot recline your seat.

Maybe people need to start looking at how their actions impact others once in a while.

It is a good thing to do something nice for someone once in a while.

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

Sat May 15, 2004 10:41 pm

If someone is going to be uncomfortable so you can be a little more comfortable why bother. It is not like you will be in pain if you cannot recline your seat.

The airline implemented the recline feature and many even use generous recline in their advertisements.

greasespot

Sun May 16, 2004 12:26 am

Advertisement or not. Still does not mean you have to do it. It all comes down to courtesy and respect for people.

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

Sun May 16, 2004 2:49 am

Advertisement or not. Still does not mean you have to do it. It all comes down to courtesy and respect for people.

I don't recline during a meal service and I always look behind me before reclining to make sure I'm not going to hit/catch anything like a laptop screen and I recline slowly.

Courtesy and comfort works both ways. I have just as much a right to be comfortable on a long flight as they do. I purposely book the exit row so I don't have anybody reclining into me.

777heavy

Sun May 16, 2004 3:54 am

Hi,

I'm a new member on a.net and this is my first post ever.

In my opinion, this is the wrong discussion. Reclining - a right or a privilege. It should be, the airlines haven't recognized, that the average man today is taller than 20 or 30 years ago. But instead of increasing seatpitch, they cram more and more seats in the a/c. Ok, you can mention economical reasons and I don't deny, that there is a cut-throat competition, but I really doubt, there will any airline gone bankrupt, when they reduce the amount of seats in their a/c. The situation at the moment is against the human dignity, there must take place some changes or you have to detain growing of men.

Than you can recline your seat again.

Just my 2 cents
Well done Germany!

Whisperliner

Sun May 16, 2004 7:32 pm

its just like the issue for overweight people, if you need space for your legs- pay for it! upgrade to premium. If you don't have the money...too bad. Do you go to a car dealer and complain that the economy cars are too small for you, and because you don't have money to pay, you should get a bigger car for free??

but I still feel bad for people who are extra tall, its not their fault they were born that way- it is really the airlines fault for making the space so small to begin with. Anyways, most agree that it is common courtesy for someone to not recline and understand someone has a real need. But its a courtesy, no one has to do it. The recline space is the space of the person infront of you, so by asking someone to not to recline, it is THEIR right you are asking them to give up. Some people may need to recline because they have back problems or they need to sleep that way...so there are just as many arguements for the need to recline as well as the need for space.

greasespot

Sun May 16, 2004 9:36 pm

You can be comfortable sitting up right.......How comfortable is the person with a chair on their knees....?

GS

GSPSPOT

Sun May 16, 2004 10:47 pm

All this discussion would be moot if the airlines would give pax humane seat pitch!! It's their fault.

777heavy

Mon May 17, 2004 12:02 am

GSPSPOT

You got the point, the airlines have to change their seating layout, increasing seat pitch, but they do the opposite. This is against the health of their customers.
Well done Germany!

pelican

Mon May 17, 2004 1:18 am

GSPSOT and 777heavy

All this discussion would be moot if the airlines would give pax humane seat pitch!! It's their fault.

The airlines have already done this - you know of the premium economy...
For the people who don't want to afford this - that's bad luck.

pelican

GSPSPOT

Mon May 17, 2004 12:12 pm

Unfortunately, Pelican, few U.S. domestic flights have such a thing. And it seems only non-U.S. airlines offer "premium" economy cabins. AA's MRTC is nice, and UA's Economy Plus is fine (IF you can get it), but I still stand by my statement. You shouldn't have to pay extra for comfort.

ba97

Mon May 17, 2004 12:31 pm

AAJAXFlyer : thanks for looking for my lap top.
We are all stuck in a cigar tube for hours. Mutual understanding. I want to recline to get an inch between me and the knee slapper infront. But I respect that I do not want to cram the poor person behind me. You buy Economy you get what you pay for-simple fact. People want $5,000 seat comfort and options on $200 tickets. I switched to BA over the Atlantic to get World Traveller Plus leg room since I can not always justify the Club World Money and I get what I want--leg/knee and lap top room. When I flew Concorde, I should have reclined my seat and seen if I could initiate a $10,000 dispute.....
there is economy class, business class, first class...then Concorde..pure class

Mon May 17, 2004 12:53 pm

You shouldn't have to pay extra for comfort.

Obviously enough people find airline seats comfortable enough to keep traveling in them. If they were inhumane, more people simply wouldn't sit in them. The unfortunate side effect of lower ticket prices is many airlines need to carry more passengers. Even AirTran has pretty miserable seat pitch, and they're a carrier with lower operating costs. The traveling public has gotten what they have said they want. If you want more comfort than that, you need to pay for it. You always have the option of traveling in the comfort of your own automobile.

SpeedbirdHeavy

Mon May 17, 2004 1:00 pm

When you purchase a ticket, you rent the space that between where you rest your legs under the seat in front of you, to the place where the seat is in full recline. It's a right! If you don't like it, fly Business Class.
China Airlines...Come fry with us!