iflyatldl

UA's & NW's DC-10 In ATL In The '70's.

Sun May 16, 2004 1:21 pm

Does anyone here remember when UA used to fly DC-10's into ATL? It was before the new terminal was built. I also remember occasionally seeing a NW DC-10 as well. It wasn't for a long period of time, but I remember it: '76, '77.  Smile What was the iteniary?
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

LGA777

UA's & NW's DC-10 In ATL In The 70's.

Sun May 16, 2004 7:40 pm

I was fortunate enough to get to ride both out of ATL. United ran a mid-morning TPA-ATL-CLE DC-10 for at least several years in the 70's, I rode it in 1974 TPA-ATL connecting to a UA 73S ATL-AVL. There was about an 8 aircraft bank then, mostly 727's. Another DC-10 returned CLE-ATL-TPA passing thru ATL in the early evening. I am pretty sure the Flight numbers were 475 northbound and 476 southbound. Northwest operated a very similar DC-10 operation throughout most of the 70's with a Northbound mid-morning TPA-ATL-MSP-SEA-ANC flight with the reverse routing passing thru ATL southbound late afternoon, pretty sure it was Flight 775-776. I rode this in 1974 also, ATL-TPA, with a full hot meal dinner service (Steak) in coach, pretty impressive for about 1 hour 10 mins gate to gate. The Northwest DC-10 parked in clear view of the wonderful ATL old terminals observation deck. What fun memories.

LGA777

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos