SIA_B777
Topic Author

America West And Continental

Mon May 17, 2004 2:04 pm

Hi,

HP and CO used to be code-share partners. However, this appears to have ended. My question is when did HP and CO break up their alliance and what was the reason for the split? I already did a search on this topic and failed to find any answer.

RE: America West And Continental

Mon May 17, 2004 2:11 pm

The CO/HP (and CO/F9) relationship ended spring 2002. Allegedly it was related to HP's new declaration as a LCC / new fare structure although many think CO had been seeking a way out of the relationship for quite some time.

coexjhknight

Mon May 17, 2004 2:21 pm

Here's a bit of trivia...

HP still operates CO flights at ONT...

SIA_B777
Topic Author

Mon May 17, 2004 2:24 pm

thank you Coexjhknight and IndustrialPlate.

CO and HP still interline tickets...

what does interline tickets mean?

coexjhknight

Mon May 17, 2004 2:28 pm

Most domestic and international major airlines will sell tickets via each other... for instance:

I'm flying from PSP to MSP on NW
then from MSP to IAH on CO

but I bought my ticket from CO.

Each airline honors each others tickets no matter which airline you purchased them from.

JK

coexjhknight

Mon May 17, 2004 2:35 pm

Or...

CO from IAH to PHX via CO

HP from PHX to PSP via HP (Mesa)

Tango-Bravo

Mon May 17, 2004 3:21 pm

Continental's timing in ending their code-sharing and reciprocal frequent flyer agreements with America West was one of those airline industry examples of "what a coincidence" (not!!!!). It was plainly retaliation on CO's part for HP having the unmitigated gall (in CO's twisted view) to restore at least some measure of sanity and equitibility to airline pricing -- referred to by HP as "fair fares."

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that HP emerged the winner for sticking with their plan; and no one can make a point based on factual evidence that CO's retaliatory action against HP had a similar effect for Gordo's airline. While HP has become a consistent money maker, CO can do no better than to contrive scapegoats and "poor me" lame excuses for remaining stuck in their money-losing malaise in spite of their low labor costs.

As for interline ticketing capability, all U.S. "legacy" airlines plus many others, including HP, AS, F9, and TZ (for sure) have agreements whereby they can ticket pax on other airlines. Generally speaking, the only restrictions on interline ticketing are 1) at least one segment of the ticket must be operated by the issuing carrier and 2) a carrier cannot issue a ticket with any international segment(s) operated by another carrier. Airlines routinely issue tickets containing offline segments, even on arch-rival carriers. Southwest is among the few major airlines in the world who do not participate in interline ticketing.

scottysair

Tue May 18, 2004 12:17 am

If I am remember correct about codeshare with HP & CO from 2 years ago and they are no longer use with their codeshare either. After CO was moving out from T4 to T2 into the ticket counter & gate areas, too. What are you plans was going on for next?

COSPN

Tue May 18, 2004 1:37 am

I Like T2 at PHX ...Easy for someone to get you no..North or South side to communicate about your pick up Just T2..

flyboyaz

Tue May 18, 2004 1:49 am

We also have interline checkin capability with CO. If there is a CO segment in an HP itinerary, we can check the passenger in for all the flights. In some cities, like TUS, we actually have access to SHARES A, and can do most anything related to CO. This is because we are CO agents in TUS and handle all their flights. While the code share ended, we still handle each other's operation in many cities.
Catch a ride on a smile!