UAORD

What Value Does Orbitz Offer?

Mon May 17, 2004 11:50 pm

What is the benefit of booking on Orbitz? I use Orbitz as more of a search engine function to see all fares at once. I then go directly to the airline website to take advantage of bonus miles, not paying a booking fee, and the comfort of booking my ticket directly with the airline and not a travel website (I realize the airlines own a share of Orbitz.)

VS346

RE: What Value Does Orbitz Offer?

Tue May 18, 2004 12:13 am

Plus the fact that Orbitz charges $14 to have it sent to you and there is a $5 or $10 processing fee. Half the time it's best to do as you say, see all the fares at once then go to the airline site and book there.

The only time I thought Orbitz gave me a good offer that I couldn't find anywhere else was on an ATL-MAN route. $200 savings even after the shipping and processing fees!

Cheers,
VS346
Virgin-Atlantic: More experience than our name suggests

SpeedbirdHeavy

Tue May 18, 2004 12:13 am

No benefit. I find much better deals on the individual airline websites.

Orbitz is pretty expensive.
China Airlines...Come fry with us!

geoffm

Tue May 18, 2004 1:49 am

Expanding this to other internet booking sites, is there really much price difference, if any, between them all now? I use Expedia mostly, because it's got a nice interface and searches most airlines and hotels. Fast, too. Their surcharge usually only seems to be £5-£10 more than what the airline charges, which is not bad considering they're offering a search service and send you the paper tickets.

Travelocity's undated search (find out which days the fare is the cheapest for a particular route) is also extremely useful but their hotel search can be diabolical sometimes - finding hotels that are literally 10s of miles away from where you're looking.

Geoff M.

vatveng

Tue May 18, 2004 2:45 am

Travelocity also has the distinction of being the site that sold me bogus tickets. Took my money, sent me paper "tickets", but never actually booked the travel with the airline itself. That was the last time I ever used a travel site for anything other than as a search engine. I always book directly on the airline's website nowadays.

jblake1

Tue May 18, 2004 2:49 am

I use Orbitz as more of a search engine function to see all fares at once. I then go directly to the airline website to take advantage of bonus miles, not paying a booking fee, and the comfort of booking my ticket directly with the airline and not a travel website

I was doing this the other day looking for a flight to MKE. On Orbitz it quoted a price of $300. Delta.com quoted a price of $900.00 for the same city pairs and the same flight numbers.

So I booked through Orbitz. I find this can happen quite often.

Weird.

Luv767s

Tue May 18, 2004 2:51 am

I've found that they can be cheaper than the individual arilines on one-way fares.
-"...never have I been a blue calm sea, I have always been a storm"

iluv2pilot

Tue May 18, 2004 2:53 am

Use it to see the general value of what's being paid and times of different flights on different airlines. But use the airlines site for mileage bonuses.

dinker225

Tue May 18, 2004 5:38 am

Only time I use it is when they find cheaper prices on multiple carriers to a destination I want to go. Example, I just looked up a flight from DEN-HKG. Orbitz found a price of $891.88 for a trip that includes Delta, Northwest, United and Korean. Lots of stops but for that price. Cheapest on United's website is $1875.88. If there is a difference like that I will book on Orbitz, if its only a few dollars I will usually book on the airline as they usually offer a few bonus miles.

Dinker
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.

hawaiian717

Tue May 18, 2004 1:13 pm

I have also had experiences where Orbitz listed a lower fare than the airline itself. Once was on Aloha, for a one-way ticket HNL-OAK. Another was United, MRY-MFR; in that case United had the same fare but for the flights I wanted was showing a higher price. My roommate also had a case where Expedia was cheaper than American's web site.

I have found Orbitz's flexible date search to be helpful, especially during peak travel periods where availability varies greatly from one day to the next.

However, I have seen that feature, along with the "nearby airports" and hotel search don't always show the best price at first; when I narrow things down (for example, select a specific hotel star rating and distance) sometimes a lower price will show up than was showing before.

David / MRY

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos