tripseven

Surprise UA Upgrade

Thu May 20, 2004 8:28 am

I was happy to receive an upgrade the other day from ORD-DCA and am trying to speculate why I got it. The flight was packed with at least 20 standbys.

Speculation #1:
I was traveling on a company travel pass with eligibility marked "positive space- business" I had an interview at HQ. Something about that made me eligible for an upgrade.

Speculation #2:
The ticket agent at ORD could not figure how to get me standby for an earlier flight. She spent close to 30 minutes working on it. I was very patient and just waited quietly and let her do her work. Is there a chance she flagged me for an upgrade because she is used to people flipping out when they have to wait so long? (PS I didn't make the standby flight after finally getting on the list)

Did either of these situations allow me to get the upgrade?

777ER
Crew

RE: Surprise UA Upgrade

Thu May 20, 2004 8:31 am

Or maybe it was your lucky day because the ticket agent had had a very good day and was in a happy mood

FA4UA

Thu May 20, 2004 9:09 am

United policies are very strict about upgrades... Chances are you were next on the upgrade list and they needed the Economy seat for a revenue passenger. If you were on a "Company Travel Pass" you were either a BP-3 or BP-7. Chances are it was a BP-3 which means you go before 99% of standby's.

(BP stands for Boarding Priority)

What job were you interviewing for at WHQ? Best of Luck!

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

JC5280

Thu May 20, 2004 11:52 am

The company travel pass you had is good for a Y seat. If you were being flown in there for a interview, then you had a BP3 as FA4UA stated. If revenue upgrades have been processed, we upgrade those on company travel passes (NRPS - non revenue positive space) next. Then the NRSA (non revenue space available) customers are loaded on.

The agent was likely putting you on standby for the earlier flight, which makes you a BP5c after the other revenue standbys (BP5a and 5b).

Good luck on that interview and hope you join the United family soon!

tripseven

Thu May 20, 2004 2:51 pm

No luck on that job. (marketing strategy) they turned me down in favor of those with more experience but steered me towards a revenue management job which I am also interested in.

WHQ was a nice place. Great people. The only thing I didn't like was the chain link fence surrounding the buildings... What's going on there???

uadc8contrail

Thu May 20, 2004 3:31 pm

that fence is called the k.e.r.p. fence.................
bus driver.......move that bus:)

AirframeAS

Thu May 20, 2004 3:56 pm

DL has the same thing....they got their HQ like a HUGE freakin compound at ATL. The walls were brick and over 10 feet high all around that property with 4 different buildings inside of those walls.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

cx123

Thu May 20, 2004 9:26 pm

Can someone expalin those BP codings. It is really interesting.

I remembered I was on a RTW ticket on D Class and got upgraded to F when I asked at the gate.
I am a GOLD Star Alliance member @ the time on AN.

UALPHLCS

Thu May 20, 2004 9:51 pm

The fence around WHQ Tripseven is to keep reality out.

IF you're looking at going to revenue management then they live in a concrete bunker surrounded by reality.

A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.