JetboyTWA
Topic Author

I Start My First Airline Job In 7 Hours!

Thu May 20, 2004 2:14 pm

Hey everyone;

Just wanted to let you know that I've landed a summer position with PSA Airlines, which is part of US Airways Express, here in STL.

I'll be on the Ground Operations team, working down on the ramp, with their CRJ and ERJ aircraft.

It's my first job in the industry, and I think it will be great experience for a college student like me, no matter how strenuous it'll be. Though, I've read on the forums that the job as a "ramp rat" can be fun.

I'll be at STL at 0730, for fingerprinting, and processing of my SIDA badge. After that, I begin orientation.

Looking forward to the travel benefits this summer, though I'm not sure if I get them right away or not.

Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement with everyone. Guess I should try to get a few hours of sleep......

View Large View Medium

Photo © Brad Harris

-Ryan

[Edited 2004-05-20 07:14:39]

[Edited 2004-05-20 07:15:09]

[Edited 2004-05-20 07:15:45]

ordpark

RE: I Start My First Airline Job In 7 Hours!

Thu May 20, 2004 2:22 pm

Best of luck to you.....my first Airline job was also on the ramp at BOS 31 years ago....it is a great place to start...especially with a small carrier...

JOSS21

Thu May 20, 2004 2:25 pm

Congrats Ryan, good luck tomorrow!

A340Spotter

Thu May 20, 2004 2:26 pm

Congrats and good luck as well...Just past the 10yr mark in aviation myself, started out as a ramper at EWR for Signature on BA 747-100s and TAP L1011s...

Jeffrey
"Irregardless, it's a Cat III airplane, we don't need an alternate!"

sq452

Thu May 20, 2004 2:28 pm

Congrats, and best of luck to you...I should check into that.
SIN > CVG > BOS

Skydrol

Thu May 20, 2004 2:33 pm

Most important: have fun... and make connections, you never know where they may lead!

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

Thu May 20, 2004 2:41 pm

ME too with Air Tran at SFO  Smile. I am so EXCITED!!!!!!!!

cancidas

Thu May 20, 2004 2:50 pm

congrats ryan. welcome to US Air. if you ever nonrev to LGA let me know as i'm on the ramp there. again, welcome. oh, and i have a few horror stories to tell you about the EMB-145...
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

BN747

Thu May 20, 2004 3:02 pm

Congrats kid, enjoy it .. it'll be a time you'll never forget and hopefully more to come!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

pilotpip

Thu May 20, 2004 3:02 pm

Bring a bottle of water to the fingerprinting, it could take a couple hours to get in and get all the processing done. Sitting at the badging office at STL might be one of the most boring events in the world. You have a choice of staring at the wall or the people waiting for hotel shuttles. Also, remember to keep your head on a swivel when you're on the ramp. Especially in that corner of STL. RJs and DC-9s everywhere, gate 17S is also very busy so there is tons of GSE trucks running around.

Welcome to the fun of STL.
DMI

AirframeAS

Thu May 20, 2004 3:05 pm

Congratulations to you!! Just be on-time, listen to your lead and just keep your mouth shut...Im kidding! LOL! Honestly, have fun with the job!! But other than that.....Congrats!!  Big thumbs up
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

JetboyTWA
Topic Author

Thu May 20, 2004 3:53 pm

Cancidas,

What type of horror stories do you have involving the ERJ? Yikes!

Pilotpip,

Who do you work for at Lambert? We'll have to hang out during a break or something. I really have no idea what to expect while working out there this summer.

Thanks for all of the good words everyone. I'll let you know how orientation went.

-Ryan

airplaneboy

Thu May 20, 2004 3:55 pm

Hey bro....

Congradulations!!!!!!

Welcome aboard. I just started my first job in the industry today. I work for F9 as a CSA and I'm in college full time as well. If your job with PSA is for the summer only, you may want to also look at Frontier if you're interested. We have GREAT benefits......and I'm not sure if we're hiring, but I know that we're awaiting for government approval for STL -Mexico flights. Good luck on your first day. Welcome to the industry!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Travis

JetboyTWA
Topic Author

Thu May 20, 2004 4:06 pm

Hey Travis:

I did apply with Frontier, but I guess they're not hiring right now, because I haven't heard back....

I may try to get a job with them down in MCO, once I'm back in DAB this August for school.

Though, it'd be great to get hired on with Delta or Continental right at DAB. The commute would be 2 minutes, versus an hour to MCO.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Ryan

Douglas7Seas

Thu May 20, 2004 4:27 pm

Congratulations Sir!!!

I hope this is the beginning of a long and happy career.

John
Be different; Be nice.

nethkt

Thu May 20, 2004 4:52 pm

Congratulation!!!!
Enjoy the world of industry discount (ID) ticket  Smile
See you around!!!
 Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Let's just blame it on yields.

jeckPDX

Thu May 20, 2004 4:56 pm

How do you find out about open posistions. I too am a college student and will be in PDX for the summer. I always check the job ads for anything airline/airport and have inquired at PDX with no leads.

Congrats though and best of luck

JeckPDX
"Beer is proof that God Loves us and wanted People to be Happy" - Ben Franklin

soaringadi

Thu May 20, 2004 5:21 pm

I was doing an internship at SQ in SFO (as a pax service agent) for last 3 months, and got a job offer just a week ago..... hopefully I will be starting the job in late July, or August......
Anyways good luck for ur job and have fun  Smile
If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going !

FJWH

Thu May 20, 2004 5:24 pm

Well, now you're working on the ramp, you can get closer to planes than the most of us do, so I WANT TO SEE SOME PICTURES!!  Big thumbs up

Congrats btw

FJWH  Smile
FlightS in the next 3 months: MSP, PHX, MEM, NCE, TFS, BCN. All round trips from AMS

pilotntrng

Fri May 21, 2004 7:05 am

Hey Ryan,

Congrats on your PSA job. I work for Piedmont here in TYS. I have heard that PSA is a good subsidiary company to work for. Good luck on your first few days. I t will be exciting and nerve racking at the same time. I hope you enjoy it.

Brad
Booooo Lois, Yaaaa Beer!!!

Shamrock_747

Fri May 21, 2004 7:10 am

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll love it.

I know that feeling of excitement... this morning I found out my application for my first airline job has been successful.  Smile

nycfuturepilot

Fri May 21, 2004 7:16 am

congrats. i start 3 weeks from monday. cant wait.
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

snnams

Fri May 21, 2004 7:24 am

Well done my friend!!

I too have just secured my first job in the industry, starting monday!

Feels great to finally get your "foot in the door" of the airline business, doesnt it?!

By the way, i've seen the Industry discount ticket mentioned here, can anyone provide some more info on this? What can we expect in terms of discount?

Thanks!

Blackbird1331

Fri May 21, 2004 7:25 am

I want to know how that first day went. I read your post 13 hours ago so I am sure you have thoughts to share. Your enthusiasm matches that of most here on A.net. A good sign. Good luck.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

Leezyjet

Fri May 21, 2004 7:26 am

Shamrock747,

Well done that is great news. I'm so pleased for you. (was it the BA one ?)

BTW,

Are you going to be at LHR on Sunday at the visitors centre ?.

Oh, and well done to you too JetboyTWA.

You'll really enjoy it, pay might be crap but hey money isn't everything  Laugh out loud

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

StanstedFlyer

Fri May 21, 2004 7:29 am

Nice one. Enjoy every moment and be safe!
View the photos by C Newman on Airliners.net!

JetboyTWA
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2004 8:47 am

Hey everyone:

Again, that's a lot for all of your kind words and suggestions. Today went well, really didn't do anything but paperwork.

Began the day at 0730 at STL, at the US Airways ticket counter. I met the Station Manager, who had me go down to the airport Police Station / Intelligence Office for fingerprinting, to begin my 10-year background check.

After that, I went to the nearby Doubletree Hotel for my "orientation".

Basically, I just had to fill out several forms, including the requisite W-4 tax forms. I signed up for the travel "term pass", which I should receive in a week or two, whenever my background check comes through.

The next step is "Airport Vehicle Training" on Monday. I'll be learning how to drive the various tugs and trolleys, including how to pushback the CRJ and ERJ aircraft.

Tuesday, I'll be attending the required "Airport Safety and Security" course, which is needed before I get my SIDA un-restricted airport pass.

I'm on the payroll as of tomorrow morning, so I've received my employee number.

I really want to start working soon, I didn't realize there was so much involved. I'm only in town 'till the beginning of August, so I really won't have too much time on the job here.

Just wish the travel benefits would kick in right away! I really want to go visit my friends from school down in Florida  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I'll keep you all up to date...

-Ryan

pilotntrng

Fri May 21, 2004 8:54 am

Ryan,

I bet you loved that paperwork didn't you? lol I bet they kill about half a forest of trees with all that paper. You are going to enjoy working for PSA. They have a ton of cool pilots and F/A's . TYS is a crew base for PSA so I know a bunch of them,. The Pilots will be more than happy to talk to you. good luck on the SIDA class, its nice and short lol. Im kidding.

Brad

OPNLguy

Fri May 21, 2004 9:14 am

Congrats!

A helpful hint:

If any of your ramp buddies tell you (in a seemingly routine manner) to go fetch:

1. Jetblast
2. Propwash
3. Flightline

...or anything else, don't fall for it (unless you just -want- to to get in good with the guys.)

ANother ramp initiation trick is when you "walk" your first aircraft out during pushback. Someone else will coming running out to tell you something along the lines of "Quick, tell the captain he has a bent Johnson rod!" as if it's some critical airworthiness items that's failed. Of course, there is no such thing as "Johnson rod" (phallic inferences aside). Another permutation of this same scam is tell the Captain that he has a "broken Fallopian tube". Fall for -that- one, and you'll -NEVER- hear the end of it. I know one guy who did, and he was still getting razzed about it 15 years later....  Big grin
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

pilotntrng

Fri May 21, 2004 9:21 am

OPNLguy-

that's friggin hilarious lol. Im glad that sorta thing never happened to me. Im gullible enough to fall for it lol

Brad

pilotpip

Fri May 21, 2004 9:22 am

Hey Ryan,

I work for AirBP, an FBO on the north side of the field. Look over at the hangar with the Sabreliner sign on the roof by the main CFR house. We're a subsidiary of ATS, you may run into them at the terminal as they handle F9, and some charters as well. Email me, even though you go to riddle I could probably look past it  Big grin Keep us posted and be safe.

DMI

Blackbird1331

Fri May 21, 2004 9:26 am

Okay, you are now one of the working class. Please do not get in front of me on the way to work tomorrow or I will have to yell at you, call you all sorts of names, and wave my longest finger in your face.

Best of luck.

Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

atrude777

Fri May 21, 2004 9:27 am

OPNLGUY- WOuld you be the one to have fallen for that trick?? hahah anyway..

Good luck and congrats at ur new job jetboyTWA. WOuld have been nice to work among the heavies with TWA before its demise  Sad anyway im due to fly inot STL from MWA JUne 4th so ill look out ur direction and se eif ur working. have a great time in STL, I love being at STL every chance I get and would love to work there for Southwest or American. Keep us posted about any mistakes or "good jobs" you did. im intersted to tlak to you more privatrly if u want my screen nam eon AIM and yahoo is atrude777 . keep me in touch!

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

OPNLguy

Fri May 21, 2004 9:33 am

>>>OPNLGUY- WOuld you be the one to have fallen for that trick?? hahah anyway..

Nope, not me... Too aviation-oriented at a young age, I guess...

The really hilarious thing about the guy I used to work with who fell for the Fallopian tube scam was that this guy did nothing but yak about women and try to impress everyone about his (supposed) sexploits. Falling for this particular scam knocked him down several notches in one fell swoop....  Big grin
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

JetboyTWA
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2004 9:38 am

Hey Alex:

Yeah, I agree. I can't imagine how cool it would have been to work with the TWA heavies: Tristars, 747s, etc. Oh well, gotta move on I guess. I know a few people (friends of the family) who worked out on the ramp in STL for Ozark, then TWA once they absorbed them. They worked there for a good 20 years, and loved every bit of it.

Shameless self-plug for an old picture:
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ryan J. Pearl

I did apply at American, Southwest, and Frontier at Lambert, but I ran across an advertisement for ramp agents for US Airways Express in the Post Dispatch.

I'll send you a message on AOLIM if I see you online....

Take care,

Ryan

atrude777

Fri May 21, 2004 9:47 am

Ryan- now ur making me sad again haha, anyways im glad u got the job!!! Thats great I know a another friend of mine whos a ramp guy for US Airways express in PIT. he loves it!! Im online right now so shoot me a message if u want-atrude777 once again

have fun!
Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

nasmal

Fri May 21, 2004 10:07 am

Congrats flyboy, I also just got an internship at an avionics company!
GUESS WHO

taca

Fri May 21, 2004 10:09 am

Best wishes and good fortune!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

WidgetBoi

Fri May 21, 2004 11:44 am

Congrats!!!!!

jeremy

JetboyTWA
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2004 1:39 pm

Hey Mike (Nasmal)....

Yeah don't worry buddy.... We'll head to London or something with a buddy pass.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I forgot who you're working for in Miami though...

-Ryan

Devil505x

Fri May 21, 2004 1:49 pm

I thought STL was getting contracted out for USair?

JetboyTWA
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2004 1:52 pm

PSA Airlines is in a contract with US Airways for their ramp operations. PSA Airlines doesn't fly in to STL, other feeders of US Airways do.

-Ryan

Devil505x

Fri May 21, 2004 1:58 pm

oh I see. are you going to get PSA planes or all different kinds? I don't know if its becasue the CRJs are new to PSA or what but they take about a half hour to get started after we close their doors!

JetboyTWA
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2004 3:08 pm

US Airways Express operates flights in STL with both Transstates and Mesa, doing business as "US Airways Express". There are no PSA aircraft coming into STL at all. Just the ground staff is employed by PSA.... Weird? I think so.....

-Ryan

LambertMan

Sat May 22, 2004 1:29 am

Jetboy,

I wish I was in your shoes for this summer truthfully, I work at a golf proshop. Kind of bland if you ask me. I will say this for that area though, not much excitement, lots of DC9's and CRJ's. On a brighter note, I think you will be pleased to see that STL-CLT will be upgraded in the future to 6x daily with 4 CR7's. With the loss of PIT, there is a possibility that in the future (if US hangs around) that you could be seeing some mainline. Have fun at your job!

CougarAviator

Sat May 22, 2004 3:05 am

Congrats!!! I've been trying to get on with Continental here in Houston on the management side, with no Success!!!

I guess I'll have to try to make it as a pilot...... I'm working on the CFI right now....

Failure is not an option.....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos