jfklganyc

Indy Air Shuttle To JFK?!?!

Fri May 21, 2004 8:43 am

It appears that JFK will be Indy's largest market out of IAD . . . anyone have any thoughts how this will effect the following:

UAL IAD-JFK
Possible restart of AE IAD-JFK
B6 which has said it planned to serve the route
The traditional shuttle routes from LGA to DCA

According to USA Today, there will be 17 daily flights between JFK and IAD. That's a lot--even in RJs--so don't dismiss it!

PJ

JBLUA320

RE: Indy Air Shuttle To JFK?!?!

Fri May 21, 2004 8:46 am

For the record, EWR-IAD also runs 17x daily.... even if its 50 seats a flight, thats still quite optimistic. My dad flew COEX from EWR-IAD and back four times in the past two weeks, and every flight was empty (including a friday evening flight).

JBLU

jetbluefan1

Fri May 21, 2004 9:54 am

I said this in another thread: This is going to be hard for I-Air to accomplish. LaGuardia is the airport known for Shuttle flights on 2 airlines - Delta and US. Why would someone all of a sudden change to JFK, especially on an airline that's just building up (as in a "real" airline, not an operator for other airlines), instead of a more well known airline in NYC, such as JetBlue?

Basically, I think I-Air will find themselves with lots of competition to deal with on both IAD-JFK and IAD-EWR. An extra 1700 seats each way between the two cities is definitely a big gamble. But on the other hand, what other option did they have? Too few frequencies wouldn't draw enough attention and they'd miss the average businessman.

JetBluefan1

nycfuturepilot

Fri May 21, 2004 10:30 am

Are they expecting O&D to IAD or do they expect people to connect through?
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

rjpieces

Fri May 21, 2004 11:10 am

Wow. Dirtcheap fares too. I'll definitly take the JFK-IAD service....Does anybody know how far IAD is from DC? What transportation is there? Thanks.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

jetbluefan1

Fri May 21, 2004 11:19 am

Rjpieces,

From what I've heard, IAD is quite far from the city. I have a friend in DC who told me that "the cab fare from my apartment to Dulles is more expensive than the airfare." And he lives right in the heart of the city - one of those famous streets (I forgot the name).

JetBluefan1