F+ Rouge
Topic Author

Singapore Airlines And Air New Zealand

Fri May 21, 2004 10:05 pm

We are going to do CDG-SIN-SYD with Singapore Airlines and SYD-AKL-PAP-LAX-LHR with Air New Zealand.

How are these two airlines? Which one is better?

Thank you for your opinions.

F27

RE: Singapore Airlines And Air New Zealand

Fri May 21, 2004 10:08 pm

Would rather be on SQ any day ANZ would be the last airline in the world to travel on.

Flying-Tiger

Fri May 21, 2004 10:14 pm

Have flown AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA-SIN, AKL-SIN, SIN-KUL-SIN with SQ, and SIN-AKL, WlG-AKL, AKL-SYD, BNE-AKL, CHC-DND with NZ, all within the last 10 months.

In general terms: I prefer NZ, overall service seems to be more professional than on SQ, the NZ cabins are more spacious than anything I´ve experienced on SQ. IFE depends on what you like, I´m not such a big fan of PTVs, thus the entertainment NZ offers is just fine, otherwise: books are a fairly good alternative, too.

Regards
Flying-Tiger
http://fly.to/rorders
Flown: A319/320/321,A332/3,A380,AT4,AT7,B732/3/4/5/7/8,B742/4,B762/763,B772,CR2,CR7,ER4,E70,E75,F50/70,M11,L15,S20

worldoftui

Fri May 21, 2004 10:14 pm

This is not going to help you much with mine being only the second post, but I would prefer NZ anyday over SQ.
Have not been on the 747 with SQ, but was not impressed with comfort on the 777.
On the other hand, the 767's and 737's on NZ I used were very comfortable. And the 747-400's give you even more room.
Both carriers offer excellent standard of on-board care, but if personal space is more important to you than IFE, no competition - NZ all the way!

Mark

chinaeastern

Sat May 22, 2004 4:45 am

did u mean AKL-PPT-LAX-LHR? i guess SQ/NZ would eventually work out cheaper. on CDG-AKL route, another good option is EK, you can choose stop or not in SIN as well. but SQ is great as well, i usually stick on to it when i can't fly EK. Between SIN/AKL, if not EK, could be either SQ/NZ. they code share on the route. SQ 281/282 B777 service, not daily, morning arrival/departure in AKL, SQ285/286, daily B744, late morning arrival, afternoon departure in AKL, NZ 23/24 B763ER daily service, scheduled time around SQ 285/286, takes longer in the sky, has a code share flight number SQ6881/6882. SQ flights have PTV, NZ don't. NZ's Y class seat pitch is much bigger. NZ FAs are among the most friendly, great impresssion for new zealand. For AKL-PPT-LAX-LHR, not many choices really, fly NZ all the way is the simplest(744/767), AKL-PPT-LAX can be flown on TN(air tahiti nui).great service. FAs as friendly as NZ's. PTV, A340 all the way through, then fly NZ or what ever airline you like to LHR. TN continues on to CDG however which might even be better for u.

[Edited 2004-05-21 21:50:16]

StarFlyer

Sat May 22, 2004 5:00 am

Dear F+ Rouge,

I have done extensive travelling on both airlines. I would rank both of them amongst the best in Star Alliance. Your trip should be an excellent one.

Am I right to assume you will be travelling in Economy Class?

As pointed out before, Singapore's seat pitch is a bit tighter, especially on the 747-400, while the 777s have a bit more space. Obviously on SQ you will have a PTV and on-demand music and videos, printed menus, snacks in the galley throughout the flight and you can always request instant noodles should you become hungry between meals. The drink selection is also good.

Air New Zealand, on the other hand, probably has the warmer, 'kiwi-style' service and more seat pitch, 34" on the 747-400 you will be using between Los Angeles and London, and 32"-33" on the 767-300 which will operated your other flights. The movie selection is usually not particularly good, but there's really music channels. Particularly I enjoy "The Blue Room".

Well, once again, have a great trip, surely this will be a memorable one judging by the routing.

*Star
Yours truly - StarFlyer

sq452

Sat May 22, 2004 6:44 am

Starflyer :

You notice the seat pitch issue too!! I hate flying econ on the 747's. The 777 is so much nicer for econ, but F and J I prefer the megatop.

When I took ANZ HNL-AKL-WEL-DUD, and CHC-SYD I was very pleased with their service (less than an hour flight to the south island and a full meal in Econ!!!!).

the flight attendants are not as "attentative" as SQ but they are way better than the US carriers
SIN > CVG > BOS

chinaeastern

Sat May 22, 2004 7:11 am

SQ452:
well it was true on your flight but NZ domestic has long dropped bussiness class and no hot meal on board anymore, but great airfare

sq452

Sat May 22, 2004 7:14 am

darn, and what was great was the entire leg (AKL-WEL-DUD) our 737-200 was fishtailing the whole way down with the wind. It was great!!! (and then the landing gear had problems going down while landing in Dunedin). some guy came back and ripped open the floor right next to me and stuck his hand down to fix it (i kid you not).

SIN > CVG > BOS

flyboy1980

Sat May 22, 2004 9:01 am

SQ452 - sounds like they were unsure that the gear had extended and wanted to take a look through the access panel. An occurance that I am sure is not particular to NZ only (as your post insinuates). NZ no longer has 732s and also no longer serves meals on domestic flights.

F+ Rouge
Topic Author

Sat May 22, 2004 11:56 pm

Thank you for your answers.

@ Chinaeastern: Of course, I meant PPT, not PAP. Shame on me, should have looked it up.

@ Starflyer: Yes, it will be in Y-class. I hesitated to take C-Class as I am used to it with my F+ Rouge Status with AF, but it would have been another 3.000 € each for me and my wife. And - up to now - even in C-class I have never managed to sleep.

It surely will be memorable, not only due to the routing, but also because it will be our Honeymoon.  Wink/being sarcastic

Thanks again for your impressions.

Regards

F+ Rouge

chinaeastern

Sun May 23, 2004 12:04 am

F+Rouge:
c'est pas grave.
honeymoon, good on you, good choice for your destinations, have a good trip

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos