Fri May 21, 2004 11:34 pm

Low life also enjoys flying Lowcost!!!  Big thumbs up

See the next link:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/2004/05/21/story148642.html

PA110

RE: Banned For Life From Ryanair Flights

Fri May 21, 2004 11:38 pm

Northernlights,
Welcome to A.net! When you get a chance, check out the link "read how to include links, pictures and smilies!" It will show you how to put angle brackets before and after your links, so the link will be active in your post:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/2004/05/21/story148642.html

I'm sure this story will only feed the LCC vs Legacy carrier debate, but in reality, every airline gets its fair share of lowlifes.

[Edited 2004-05-21 16:39:41]
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

northernlights

Fri May 21, 2004 11:47 pm

Thank you for your info PA110,

I really appreciate it, I am indeed a new user.
My future links will be well "linked".

As for my low life joke: I do not want to offend anyone with it, certainly not the hardworking people in the LCC industry. I only think Ryanair was completely right putting those pax on their blacklist, more airlines should do this consequently!

FLYtoEGCC

Sat May 22, 2004 12:33 am

Wow, five more? There was a thread on here a while ago where about 10 people were banned from Ryanair for the exact same reason. I'll see if I can dig it up.

My opinion - Ryanair are absolutely correct to ban people who smoke. There is absolutely no excuse for endagering the aircraft (which does not provide smoking facilities) and the lives of all on board, especially when it's been made perfectly clear that it's not allowed.

EDIT: Here's the previous thread from March: http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1449613

[Edited 2004-05-21 17:35:47]
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

geoffm

Sat May 22, 2004 1:56 am

What's the longest flight Ryanair do? Two hours? If addicts can't cope without a ciggie for that long, then there must be something seriously wrong with them. Good on Ryanair.

Geoff M.

thegreatchecko

Sat May 22, 2004 2:11 am

Being banned from RyanAir is that really all that bad?  Big thumbs up

Of course i'm kidding......Good job RyanAir! I wish I could've done the same at my previous jobs. You aren't mature enough to follow the rules....then we don't need your business, plain and simple.

To me this is a great example of a company backing up its employees. So many have rules, but when that front line employee goes to enforce it, there is little they can do but watch if the person ignores them. It really makes employees feel useless. Here's to RyanAir for putting some teeth in their regulations!

I wonder if any other airlines are as active in this area. I'm sure some airlines ban people from flying with them (like the lowlifes who flight with the FA's), but is it used as commonly and for similar offences as on RyanAir?

GreatChecko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

DoorsToManual

Sat May 22, 2004 2:19 am

Well, they can at least do some things right!  Big grin

regard

Ikarus

Sun May 23, 2004 10:09 am

Five passengers have been banned for life for smoking on board aircraft. Three passengers have been banned for one year for disruptive behaviour and criminal damage.

Well.

Uhm.

Personally, I may be the minority here, but I think something is seriously wrong: Banned for life for smoking, while those who go on air rage and do criminal damage get banned for a year? So smokers are more dangerous than hooligans?

I beg to differ. Things belong the other way round.

Regards

Ikarus

COEWRNJ

Sun May 23, 2004 10:52 am

Ikarus,
I agree with you. If I were running the show, the air rage and criminal damage passengers would be the first to be banned for life. It's the passengers with air rage that are going to cause problems for the crew and the rest of the passengers. As for the smokers, I would just see that they were heavily fined and maybe banned for a short period of time.
I think they need to get their priorities straight.

wgw2707

Sun May 23, 2004 10:54 am

In the US, I am reasonably certain that this policy of Ryanair would clash with the "common-carrier" status of airlines. Of course, they can get away with it in Europe, along with a host of other policies ultimately designed to screw the consumer. One might ask oneself, while smoking onboard is illegal...why must Ryanair deliberately take a measure no other airline takes and go so far as to ban these people?

The answer cynically enough is PR; Ryanair has made a big media show out of banning these people from the airline. O'Leary is basically a classless, angry version of Richard Branson, they both like to get in the headlines, but whereas Branson gets in the news by claiming to provide the best service and cross-dressing as a stewardess, O'Leary prefers to get in the news by providing the worst service imaginable with an attitude, and by banning people for life from his airline.

It is my sincere hope that someday Europe will ban Ryanair from its skies forever, and that will certainly be a glorious moment in the history of commercial aviation.

-WGW2707

asuflyer05

Sun May 23, 2004 12:40 pm

One might ask oneself, while smoking onboard is illegal...why must Ryanair deliberately take a measure no other airline takes and go so far as to ban these people?

Because smoking onboard an aircraft puts the safety of passengers and crew at risk. I agree they are able to generate some PR over the incident. However it is better than the PR generated because of an onboard fire started by someone who had been caught smoking on a Ryanair flight before.

FLYtoEGCC

Sun May 23, 2004 6:40 pm

"If I were running the show, the air rage and criminal damage passengers would be the first to be banned for life."

You'd get more than a ban for air rage - more than likely a criminal court case, a hefty fine or even a jail sentence, and then might still be banned for life (by the airline if not the relevant authorities.) Fortunately it appears that this has never happened on Ryanair (I'm sure we'd have heard if it had.)

I think it would be a fair punishment, given that the passenger would have caused severe disruption and possibly endangered the aircraft and everyone aboard. But you also must remember that smoking on board an aircraft, particularly one which has no provision for smoking (i.e. no ashtrays, and the only bins are probably full of paper towels) also endangers the aircraft and everyone aboard - therefore a life ban for this offence is also fair.

"One might ask oneself, while smoking onboard is illegal...why must Ryanair deliberately take a measure no other airline takes and go so far as to ban these people?"

Because they don't want one of their aircraft dropping out of the sky due to an inflight fire. If these people are so ignorant that they already have ignored countless warnings about smoking, then they could quite easily do it again.

"It is my sincere hope that someday Europe will ban Ryanair from its skies forever, and that will certainly be a glorious moment in the history of commercial aviation."

Er, why? Have you ever flown them? They may not offer the best service and they may have a CEO who, to many, seems like he needs a punch in the face, but they do what they say they will - get you there on time for the lowest fares. For people like me (i.e. student, not a lot of money) who can't even afford a normal-service economy ticket most of the time, Ryanair is a godsend.

gkirk

Sun May 23, 2004 6:44 pm

It is my sincere hope that someday Europe will ban Ryanair from its skies forever, and that will certainly be a glorious moment in the history of commercial aviation.

I'll counter that by saying:

It is my sincere hope that someday the USA will ban United/American/Delta/Continental from its skies forever, and that will certainly be a glorious moment in the history of commercial aviation.

Now does your statement sound stupid  Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

scf158

Sun May 23, 2004 9:22 pm

Anyone know if other airlines ban people for life? You certainly don't hear about other airlines doing it except for Ryanair....

Ikarus

Sun May 23, 2004 11:53 pm

Actually, a few years ago I've heard BA did the same to a couple caught joining the Mile High club aboard their plane.

Airlines DO ban people for periods of time, or even life, if they feel it's warranted.

However, I do not believe that smokers pose a safety risk, aboard an aircraft full of inflammable materials. Smoking is a nuisance, and that's why it's banned on every European airline, as far as I know. Passengers should be fined, or even banned for a year. But to claim they pose a safety risk and ban them for life, while banning people comitting "criminal damage" and "causing a disturbance" only get banned for a year, that's illogical. I'd rather sit next to a chimney-breath than some drunk hooligan.

On the "banning Ryanair" thing: Ryanair is easily the best shorthaul airline in Europe (if not the world) today. They offer magnificient value for money, safety, and punctuality. I prefer those qualities to "customer service", especially if it means, in most cases, that I'd have to cough up 100-200% more. In fact, it recently was cheaper for me to fly CWL-DUB-EDI than to take the train.

Regards

Ikarus

FLYtoEGCC

Mon May 24, 2004 12:04 am

"However, I do not believe that smokers pose a safety risk, aboard an aircraft full of inflammable materials."

I suggest you read down the thread to which I posted a link before in reply #3, and in that thread read replies #20, #30 and #31. Then see if you still think smoking is not a safety issue.

ltbewr

Mon May 24, 2004 12:14 am

In the USA, smoking on a flight is totally forbidden and if you light up in the toilet, or disable the smoking alarm to do so, you can be arrested on Federal charges upon landing and subject to a large fine and possible jail time. As far as I know you may not be able to be 'banned' by the airline by law, but I am quite sure that have ways they can make it impossible for such persons to book a flight with them. Ryanair, as conterversial of an airline it is, made it clear at no real cost to them that they take such laws seriously (as well as getting lots of free publicity).

Ikarus

Mon May 24, 2004 12:28 am

FLYtoEGCC

What I read there are allegations, without backup evidence. "Go and look it up if you like" isn't proving anything.

Despite the Air Canada incident (which involved a lavatory fire, thought whether it was caused by a smoker was not detailled on airdisaster.com), I would still feel safer around a smoker rathern than a violent person.

Regards

Ikarus

FLYtoEGCC

Mon May 24, 2004 12:32 am

Ikarus

If that's your opinion, well then fair enough, you're entitled to it. When I said "go and look it up" I was referring mainly to #31 from the Fire Safety officer - I'd say he/she was better qualified to comment than anyone else. My opinion still stands, however - Ryanair were correct to do what they did. And if they got extra publicity for it, well good for them.

Regards
Ben

Ikarus

Mon May 24, 2004 12:40 am

No, I meant the replies in that thread - they said there are infos on the NTSB, and "Go and look it up"... well, that didn't convince me.

Regards

Ikarus