7e72004

Southwest In Hawaii

Sat May 22, 2004 12:21 am

I cannot find the thread that discussed this before so i apologize for "restarting" it. Wasn't there a rumor that WN was going to go to hawaii and take over one of the airlines there? I know it sounds crazy but i was just wondering if Southwest will ever start service in Hawaii.  Big thumbs up
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

pr1268

RE: Southwest In Hawaii

Sat May 22, 2004 12:30 am

More interesting is if whether they can provide mainland service to Hawai'i. With the 73G's in their inventory, they could do Calif. or possibly PHX service n/s (WN loves PHX!).

Only time will tell. If WN's business strategy of slow but deliberate growth continues, who knows? They'll be all over the place.
The only time an aircraft has too much fuel is when it is on fire.

Bubbinski

Sat May 22, 2004 12:34 am

I'd love to see it happen, but I doubt it. Yeah, I remember some chatter in the past about this, but WN would have to get ETOPS approval and dedicate some planes with ETOPS approval, overwater survival equipment and the like. Now if they retrofitted all their birds like that and served the Caribbean and Alaska too, maybe a Hawaii run from LAS, PHX, SLC, LAX, SJC, SEA, SAN would work. (The 73G with winglets could do it). WN already flies transcontinental flights now, they just need to beef up their service a little bit for those.

Another thing is they'd probably need to revamp Rapid Rewards....or else I'd simply fly 8 flights to Phoenix to see family and spend my ticket on a SLC-HNL run  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Finally, other posts about interisland runs have said that Aloha tried using 737-300's and 400's on those routes and their engines had too much wear and tear, the planes WN flies (73G, 733, 735) aren't really designed for interisland runs. If WN ever flew to Hawaii maybe they could find a use for their 732's which are proven on interisland service.

Bubbinski

[Edited 2004-05-21 17:35:08]
"Simplify" - Thoreau

drerx7

Sat May 22, 2004 12:34 am

highly doubtful--this topic has been exhausted. So without flaming you for not using the 'search'--it goes against the Southwest model--there are many points in the lower 48 that they can extend service to profitably. I would expect to see them in Alaska before Hawaii; and that in itself is probably decades away.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

OPNLguy

Sat May 22, 2004 12:37 am

The rumor started in large part because a SWA 737-700 was seen over in Hawaii a few years ago. The aircraft had not yet been delivered from Boeing to SWA, and another airline (in Hawaii) wanted to run some test flights with a -700 to/from the mainland, so Boeing "lent" them the SWA aircraft for the tests.

With all the domestic opportunities on the mainland, I think it'll be at least the year 2030 before you'll see SWA in Hawaii, i.e. not likely.....  Big grin
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ssides

Sat May 22, 2004 12:37 am

For the last time, NO.

The primary reason is that Hawaii has probably the highest percentage of leisure travelers of any US destination. WN serves some leisure destinations, true, but none as leisure-oriented as HNL.

To understand why WN will likely never do this high-leisure route, you must understand the Rapid Rewards program. Unlike other airlines that limit reward travel to a few seats on each flight, a WN reward ticket is good for any seat on any flight (with a few blackout dates). It is not hard to get a free ticket on WN, all you have to do is fly 8 round-trips (or 4 round-trips if they are booked online; this is a recurring promotion). Under this system, you could fly AUS-HOU (140 miles) round-trip 4 times, and you could redeem a free ticket to Hawaii. Just about all of WN's tickets to Hawaii would probably be booked this way. Therefore, if WN were to start Hawaii service, it would either have to take a huge loss by generating minimal revenue on the flights, or restrict the use of Rapid Rewards tickets on the flights. The former isn't going to happen, and the latter would probably make passengers angry, which WN doesn't want to do. I just don't see it happening.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

7e72004

Sat May 22, 2004 12:42 am

Who knows what will happen...i am sure 7 years ago no one saw Southwest in PHL  Big thumbs up
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

September11

Sat May 22, 2004 12:42 am

Southwest Airlines flying to Hawaii !!!! nice imagination to have ...

One thing I can argue - plenty of leisure passengers on Hawaii flights. Southwest loves leisure passengers.
Airliners.net of the Future

Bubbinski

Sat May 22, 2004 12:43 am

"all you have to do is fly 8 round-trips (or 4 round-trips if they are booked online; this is a recurring promotion)"

Unfortunately that promotion ended as of December 31, 2003 :-( I got 2 free trips out of the deal before it did. But now you get one extra credit if you book on line - so you can get a free trip with 6 roundtrips.

Bubbinski

[Edited 2004-05-21 17:52:41]
"Simplify" - Thoreau

citationjet

Sat May 22, 2004 1:40 am

I cannot find the thread that discussed this before so i apologize for "restarting" it.

I did a search on archieved civil aviation using "Southwest Hawaii" and found the following thread from earlier this year:
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1370327/6/
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

Coronado990

Sat May 22, 2004 2:17 am

Leisure passengers or not, remember that there are no roads from the mainland to Hawaii. No trains and no passengers ships either (that I can recall). So the only way is to fly. Flights to Hawaii shouldn't be an expensive one-a-day event but a frequent and cheap air bridge. Give it time.
Uncle SAN at your service!

ha763

Sat May 22, 2004 9:51 am

When WN announces that they are equiping all their-700s with overwater equipment and getting ETOPS approval, then we can start talking about WN coming to Hawaii.

BTW, the WN -700s were being used so that AQ could get ETOPS approval to start their mainland service with the -700.

swardu

Sat May 22, 2004 12:45 pm

Any service to Hawaii, I think, is far down the list of priorities for WN. The cost involved in purchasing overwater equip would be high for starters. Secondly, you'd take the flexibility out of the 700 fleet as only certain aircraft could fly overwater while others could not, so if you had a mechanical on an overwater aircraft, you're pretty well screwed because you could not substitute another 700 in it's place unless it was overwater equipped. The only other way I know, which has been talked about in circles over at LAS is a possible Aloha/Southwest merger, but I seriously doubt that will happen for quite a long time. There are bigger fish to fry with PHL right now.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos