Ok, as an ex-WN Aircraft Appearance Technician based in PHX
, I got to anwser this topic:
1) Starting pay before
AMFA came to town was $10.98 an hour. You will be starting out on graveyard shift. The day and swing shifts are for people with higher seniority.
2) SWA Appearance Techs in PHX
treat the probationary employees like crap and they give them the hardest jobs expecially with the wax crew. The only fun part of the job is being assigned to the wash crew expecially in the summertime.
only hires 3% of all the applications they recieve in a year for ALL
workgroups and they are very, very picky on who they hire. The wait time for a position in the Appearance department to open up is about a year and a half.
4) Costs of living here in AZ
expecially with the electric bills.
5) As an SWA Aircraft Appearance Technician, all you will do is clean, clean & CLEAN...you will not be allowed to touch a screwdriver or a wrench for any reason whatsoever on the aircraft or you will face the consequences which is not fun.... (Be sure to clean the hubcaps and the cockpit windows, they get into a very sensitive mood when you miss those things....)
6) Training is in DAL
for one week. They will give you a hotel room and $100 in meal cash. Not much of a perk while you are in DAL
7) The morning duties are NOT fun....the probationary employees usually do all the morning duties. Well if you get hired, I'll let you find this out for yourself...
8) Flight passes....you get unlimited flight passes for yourself, but the downside of it is if you want to fly 'off-line' (other airline travel), you have to apply for them thru DAL HQ
and send the money with the application unlike the way the other airlines do it. You have to get supervisor signature for this. And for your parents, you have to fill out a pass signed by your supervisor and it generally expires in 3 months so its a task to get these passes issued.
9) Last thing...if you do get hired onto WN
in this position, try not to be based in HOU
. Thats the HARDEST place to even try to pass probation from what Ive heard. From what Ive heard the best place to be based is either in DAL
Good luck if you get hired onto WN
. Im not trying to bash WN
for this or to scare you or anyone, this is only what I experenced with WN
and it was hell for me. For other people, they have had different experences. The pay is good, but the treatment is a whole another story..... Just dont ask me to get into specifics cuz I could go all day with this.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.