Zweed
Topic Author

Amsterdam - New York. Some Questions

Sun May 23, 2004 8:08 pm

Im planning a trip to New York with my brother. We are both big fans of aviation and We wonder what kind of carrier you would choose on Amsterdam - New york. and why?

At the moment we have our minds set on KLM and Boeing 777.
What about any american carriers, I have no experience from flying an american carrier.

Thanks

Businessboy

RE: Amsterdam - New York. Some Questions

Sun May 23, 2004 8:16 pm

I would go with Continental Airlines.
They offer very good service! Though they fly into EWR, but thats no problem...
But KLM is a good choice though......
LOVE CONTINENTAL AIRLINES & LOVE BRITISH AIRWAYS

Sabena 690

Sun May 23, 2004 8:19 pm

BA via LHR!

Two nice flights on the A319/A320/B752 between AMS and LHR (a very nice airport for spotting, you can easily make a connection with about 5h lay-over in LHR for some spotting).

Between LHR and JFK, you can take a B772 on one sector and a B744 on the other sector.

I don't know whether EWR is more convenient than JFK for you... you can always take a B772 to EWR and return on a B744 from JFK.

Hope to read a trip report  Big grin

Frederic

AMS

Sun May 23, 2004 8:39 pm

You can also fly SQ from AMS-EWR on a 744, or you may be able to get a real good price on Biman out of BRU-JFK on a DC-10.

Regards,
AMS

WearyBizTrvlr

Sun May 23, 2004 8:52 pm

My transatlantic experience is mostly C-class, so I'm not sure how relevant this will be...  Smile If you fly before the end of June, you can take the SQ flight to EWR (my favorite AMS-NYC flight). I haven't flown the new KLM 777's yet, but they're supposed to be very nice, and I'll give those a shot soon. I've flown both CO and DL too, which were better than KLM's pre-777 WBC. Service was generally somewhat better than KLM, and food seemed a tad better too, but there was no huge difference. There's also the question whether you have a preference for an airport in NY. I like EWR better than JFK, but opinions are divided on this. JFK it no longer the dump it used to be...

If you want a direct flight, I think your best bet is KLM 777's. All new aircraft, with IFE and such. No hassle with connecting flights (unless you like that sort of thing  Smile).
Trudging around the world from AMS

FJWH

Sun May 23, 2004 9:03 pm

I would go for SQ. Have you ever seen those hot Indo-flight attendants?  Big thumbs up
(AMS - EWR)

FJWH
FlightS in the next 3 months: MSP, PHX, MEM, NCE, TFS, BCN. All round trips from AMS

globetrekker

Sun May 23, 2004 9:04 pm

As a KLM agent and a non-rev passenger I flew the Amsterdam New York Area route (EWR or JFK) many times when I could not get a flight directly to my home on the Dutch island Aruba. After that I continued on with either CO, AA or DL to Aruba.
I flew Delta Airlines 767 AMS-JFK,

View Large View Medium

Photo © Marlo Plate - IBERIAN SPOTTERS

KLM 777 AMS-JFK,

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frans Zwart - Dutch Ops

KLM 767 AMS-EWR,

View Large View Medium

Photo © F van Moos

and Continental 777 AMS-EWR.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Chris Sharps

And I also flew AMS-EWR on Singapore Airlines, but that was a full paid ticket. (It was a special fare of 249,- Euros  Big thumbs up) Couldn't pass that one up! Especially to see those Singapore girls!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Irving Tjin

Let us know what you decided!

[Edited 2004-05-23 14:05:11]
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

FJWH

Sun May 23, 2004 9:09 pm

"Especially to see those Singapore girls!"

Haaa, what did I said  Big thumbs up

FJWH  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
FlightS in the next 3 months: MSP, PHX, MEM, NCE, TFS, BCN. All round trips from AMS

Zweed
Topic Author

Sun May 23, 2004 9:25 pm

Thank you all for interesting opinions.
Is EWR far away from downtown New York?

I think we'll go for either KLM 777 or Continental unless we can get a good fare on BA via Heathrow.

scf158

Sun May 23, 2004 9:31 pm

I think your best bet is to go CO... its probably the best, and the cheapest of the lot, excluding SQ which i know nothing about.

AA787

Sun May 23, 2004 10:50 pm

EWR is not very far from Downtown. Especially now that you can take the Newark AirTrain to Penn Station. Go with Singapore! Unless you live in Asia you really don't get to fly them much...which is a shame!!

AA787
ET In NYC

UN_B732

Sun May 23, 2004 11:02 pm

Everyone's got their own airline to upsh..it's funny!
KLM is very good.
He asked about AMERICAN CARRIERS?
Since when is BA or SQ American.
Delta does to JFK as does Continental.
I have no experience with either; but I've heard bad things about Delta; but I know that KLM is superb
-Mr. X
What now?

snnams

Sun May 23, 2004 11:19 pm

If it's a US carrier you're after, IMHO, you should fly Continental. (777)

It's easier to get into NYC from EWR by public transport anyway, so no probs there.

If you're not fussed if the airline is American, then yes, SQ all the way. You're original choice is fine too though: I always have held KLM in high regard.

ltbewr

Sun May 23, 2004 11:21 pm

You may want to travel to EWR as this airport has probably the largest variety of aircraft of NYC area airports. EWR and JFK are about the same cost and distance from mid-town Manhattan by train services.
Check with the airlines or travel agents for hotel/flight packages as hotel prices in NYC are quite expensive. I would make hotel arrangement before you arrive as we do not have in the US the assistance for last minute hotel arrangements from the tourist authorites here. You may be able to stay in hotels in NJ, near NYC, only a 25 minute bus ride away, which offer far more reasonable prices than NYC. I live near NYC, and found many non-US travelers using the NJ hotels along my bus route. If you are under 26, maybe you could take advantage of 'student' fares like with STA.
Be careful as to the dates you want to travel. I would go sooner, in June, rather than in July, August and to mid-September. July and August can be very hot and humid in the NYC area. Do not even consider the last week or so of August into the first week of September due to the Republican Party (President Bush's party) convention in NYC and the attendent securty nightmare it is going to cause as well as no hotels available.
Do you plan to travel to other places in the USA or only in NYC? As not a US national, then you may be able to get special fares for travel within the USA.
Hope you enjoy yourselves when you are here in the USA.

globetrekker

Sun May 23, 2004 11:32 pm

I also must say that to get to Manhattan by public transportation is easier from EWR.

GT
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

UN_B732

Mon May 24, 2004 12:11 am

Priceline is great; and I believeyou can give an American address of a friend for it; since they dont' verify international CC addresses.
-Mr. X
What now?

LFutia

Mon May 24, 2004 12:51 am

How are KLM's 767's from EWR? I am taking KL from EWR to AMS connecting to an NW DC-10 to BOM!

This will be my first time onboard KL's 767's and i think my first time on a 767.
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

Zweed
Topic Author

Mon May 24, 2004 12:57 am

Tank you all, once again
Big thanks to Ltbewr for the information.

We might go down to New Orleans for a couple of days.
Do Jetblue fly new york - New orleans. Would love to fly them.

STT757

Mon May 24, 2004 12:58 am

EWR and JFK are both 16 miles from Mid-town Manhattan, EWR's closer to Lower Manhattan (Greenwich Village, Tri-Beca, Soho, Wall Street, World Trade Center etc.).

I would fly into one airport and out the other, than you get to see two airports and can decide which works best for you for future trips.

With regards to SQ's EWR-AMS flight, SQ is launching nonstop EWR-Singapore (longest nonstop in the World!) this Summer with the A340-500. That will mean the end of their one stop flight from EWR-SIN via AMS with the 747-400, the JFK flight will continue to stop in AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Zweed
Topic Author

Mon May 24, 2004 1:03 am

I think we'll go for Continental.
We both wanna fly a 777 and an american carrier could be fun.

aa777jr

Mon May 24, 2004 1:09 am

flew both Air France and KLM into AMS. Really enjoyed those tall Nordic flight attendants on KLM, they took very good care of me on KLM. I'd go with 777 or 747 on KLM. Cheers.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

targowski

Mon May 24, 2004 4:06 am

i would fly into EWR. if you are like me, and like trains/subsways/good public transportation as much as you like avaition, then you should explore the new skytrain out of EWR, which makes it much better than JFK for PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION hookups into manhattan.

i am not a new yorker, so correct me if i am wrong on that point, but i am just repeating some common themes about EWR vs JFK that appears on a.net

how are price differences between CO, SQ and KLM?

KL642

Mon May 24, 2004 5:22 am

I don't think you'd go wrong with KL, CO or SQ. If it was me I would have to go with whoever had the lowest airfare. Try to stay away from those 767's. There isn't much legroom if you are tall.

sq452

Mon May 24, 2004 5:34 am

SQ, catch it while you can because it will soon be goooooooooone when non stop SIN-EWR takes over.
SIN > CVG > BOS

snnams

Mon May 24, 2004 5:35 am

AA777jr,

Yup, KLM definitely excel in the "tall, leggy blonde" stakes.. oh, how I miss Holland sometimes.. (well, often actually  Wink/being sarcastic )

Zweed
Topic Author

Mon May 24, 2004 5:46 pm

Tried to see the prices on the Continental website.
I June I got prizes on 750 $ and in October I got over 1000 $. Did it twixe, so Im sure I didnt do anything wrong.
Why these crazily high prices?

What did I do wrong, or is Contintental this expensive?

eric

Mon May 24, 2004 6:44 pm

If you book through www.nl.lastminute.com you can get a ticket for €440 incl. taxes r/t (BA through LHR)! That gives you the option of flying into EWR and leaving from JFK, AF through CDG gives you a slightly cheaper price. I took a ticket going out on June 10th and returning 25th.

If I may recommend a cheap and decent hotel, the Star hotel on 31st street, not far from Penn Station (one or two blocks down) were the NJ Transit train from EWR arrives. It it something around $50 a night with a supplement of $10 for an extra person. But it is usually full because its cheap and very good for the price (find a good price for it on www.opodo.co.uk)

Eric
n