N754PR
Topic Author

Bye Bye To The First "Spirit Of Hong Kong"

Mon May 24, 2004 1:19 am

TF-ATC, former B-HIB and VR-HIB looks like its flown its last flight, as can be seen in the below picture it would seem the DC-10 is a sign of whats to come for this once fine airliner....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ian Haskell

Bush, your a sad, sad man.

Jaspike

RE: Bye Bye To The First "Spirit Of Hong Kong"

Mon May 24, 2004 1:22 am

That aircraft had one of the best paint schemes ever in my opinion, looked brilliant  Big thumbs up

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tak Wah Tam

Tom

FLYtoEGCC

Mon May 24, 2004 1:28 am

I hate seeing pictures like that one at the scrapyard. Such a shame to realise those wonderful machines will never return to the sky. The worst bit is seeing those pieces of Canada 3000 A310 on the ground. They weren't even particularly old. I flew on one a few years ago and it was a nice aircraft, very quiet from where I was sitting.
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

airways

Mon May 24, 2004 2:10 am

I really really liked that aircraft. A very nice design. That aircraft was one of the highlights during my visit of HKG some years ago.

Sad to see the plane going away now. Anyway, that's the way it is...

Michael

United Airline

Mon May 24, 2004 2:21 am

So why did they paint a B 747-200 while they knew that they were going to scrap it?

Who did it fly with????? I mean after CX has sold it.

FLYtoEGCC

Mon May 24, 2004 2:47 am

From the registration, I'd hazard a guess at Air Atlanta Icelandic - most of their registrations, if not all, are of the form TF-A**.
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

iowa744fan

Mon May 24, 2004 3:07 am

United Airline,
Are you asking why Cathay painted it? Cathay painted that aircraft in that paint scheme back in the mid 90s (1994?) when they adopted their new and present livery. Originally, they had not plans to get rid of their 742s and 743s, but when the Asian markets crashed in the late 90s, Cathay decided to retire their older 747s to cut capacity. I know that the 742s (except freighters) were scheduled to go first, but I think that they were contemplating holding onto the -300s for a bit. Eventually, they decided to dispose of both the -200s and the -300s (again, except for some freighters). In fact, most of the -300s are now seen regularly operating for PIA (did one or two go to Air Atlanta?) So, they did not plan on disposing of that aircraft when they chose to paint it that way. However, with how the industry works, you have sudden changes all the time.

They have painted a -400 in a revised scheme though, and I think that it looks great!  Smile

asgeirs

Mon May 24, 2004 3:55 am

I can't deny that I am a bit sad about this Crying. TF-ATC was the first Jumbo jet I flew on 4 years ago. I wonder why it's being scrapped - it's only 24 years old.

In 1999 Air Atlanta Icelandic recieved 4 ex. Cathay Pacific 747-267B's:

B-HIA (-> TF-ATD)
B-HIB (-> TF-ATC)
B-HIC (-> TF-ABP)
B-HID (-> TF-ABA)

They are all, besides TF-ATC, still flying with Air Atlanta.

Reykjavik Aviation Photography - Just bring the aircraft to us and we'll photograph them! :-)

tsentsan

Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:25 pm

Iowa744fan -

Sadly, the revised one B-HOX Spirit of HK 2000 has been repainted into normal colours.

NO URLS in signature

planesarecool

Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:02 pm

TF-ATD, TF-ABA and TF-ABP all fly for Air Atlanta Europe or the recently developed "Travel City Direct"

TF-ATC was leased to Garuda Indonesia for Hadj flights throughout the winter from December to March, then the aircraft was put out of service from Air Atlanta Europe and operated football and rugby charter flights. Then it was never put back into service for Air Atlanta Europe and was sent to Kemble for scrapping. It is thought that part of the aircraft was damaged during one of it's last flights so they decided not to fix the aircraft and "put it out of its misery." However i cannot back that up.

So EUK/ABD brought in two aircraft from the Air Atlanta mainline fleet and painted them into the new livery of Travel City Direct. With ex-SAA ZS-SKA (B747-300) also in the fleet, i think that TF-ATD will also find itself at the boneyards before too long.  Sad Sad

-Stephen