AVPOH77
Topic Author

Is PHL Small Compared To Other Major Airports?

Thu May 27, 2004 2:04 am

Good afternoon everyone,
Just a curiosity killer here, but compared to other major airports in the US is PHL small? You always here of delays there due to ramp congestion and so forth. I've flown out of PHL numerous times and its always seemed large to me. Compared to other majors such as ATL, JFK, LAX, SEA, DFW, and CVG where does PHL stand?
Fly Delta Jets

7e72004

RE: Is PHL Small Compared To Other Major Airports?

Thu May 27, 2004 2:07 am

In terms of land space...size of terminal and concourses, etc...PHL is the smallest in the list you gave.
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

USAFHummer

Thu May 27, 2004 2:30 am

Area-wise PHL has very little room for natural expansion, being surrounded on 2 sides by waterways and on a 3rd side by I-95...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

PHLapproach

Thu May 27, 2004 2:39 am

Not to forget there is a little room for westward expansion. PHL is not small traffic wise, not at all. But like Greg said in area, we have many problems to overcome.

Jalto27R

Thu May 27, 2004 4:18 am

Yeah, they do plan on expanding the runways (in the far distant future) but there isn't much room, they are crammed in by I-95 and the good old Delaware River. So compared to the list you gave, PHL is pretty small.

Mike

airbusfanyyz

Thu May 27, 2004 4:22 am

Area wise it's much smaller than DFW and DEN the two biggest airports in the US. It's most similar airport would probably be Reagan Int'l in DC.
It's also small in terms of International carriers too.

Cheers,
Kaz

PHLapproach

Thu May 27, 2004 5:06 am

I forgot to add that I saw on Paul's spotting site, there is a few articles regarding the short term expansion of 17-35 before the major work of the 2020 project will start. Totaled up to 6,500ft of runway. We can see MORE S-turns by A319's guys, on a regular basis, LOL. PHL, was built with Philly ingenuity in mind just like 276, with NOT a single place to expand  Laugh out loud.

"We are currently running delays of 45 minutes at Consohocken Curve"

USairways16BWI

Thu May 27, 2004 5:13 am

i was just at PHL last weekend. it wasnt small to me. its bigger than BWI though!( at least i think it is)

PHLBOS

Thu May 27, 2004 5:42 am

PHL, was built with Philly ingenuity in mind just like 276, with NOT a single place to expand.

"We are currently running delays of 45 minutes at Consohocken Curve

Or as KYW's Bob Kelly says, "The Conshy Curve."

Actually Ed, the road you're referring to is I-76 (Schuylkill (or Shore-Kill) Expressway); I-276 is the eastern leg of the Pennsy Turnpike, which incidentally has been widened from 4 to 6 lanes along most of its length over the last 15 to 20 years.

PHL's long-term expansion will an interesting task. During the construction of Runway 8-26 a few years ago (which was built in the Enterprise Ave. landfill area), the contractor discovered an old WWII-era artillery shell during the excavation. When my boss heard about it, he told everyone in our office around him that the contractor discovered a bomb at the airport. Needless to say, that caused us (myself included) to reply, "What?"  Laugh out loud

Back to the topic at hand, I confirm with what's already been stated; compared to the powerhouse airports like LAX, ATL, JFK, EWR, SFO, DEN, ORD and some other big city airports, PHL is small in terms of land size.

"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

FLAIRPORT

Thu May 27, 2004 5:52 am

I believe that I recently read that ATL was the smallest airport....WAS being the key word as when their expansion projects are done, it will be much larger!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

PHLapproach

Thu May 27, 2004 6:17 am

Thats what thought. I had asked my mom, I said to her "it's I-76 right" and she said no. She said its not an interstate, I knew she was wrong. Im always right on roads. Ask Vik I saved him 30 minutes on the way back to CT Big grin

[Edited 2004-05-26 23:19:44]

ultrapig

Thu May 27, 2004 6:21 am

Ok here is a non religious, non a v b non legacy vy lcc question-of the top 25 international airports in terms of gross land size list them from biggest to smallest-same for US domestic

AVPOH77
Topic Author

Thu May 27, 2004 6:41 am

Hey kinda off subject here, any of you Philly people been to Citizens Bank Park yet? Going there tomorrow night for the Phils vs. Braves. How is the parking situation down there?
Fly Delta Jets

PHLapproach

Thu May 27, 2004 6:46 am

From what I hear, Parking at the Citz is not a problem. Although when they finally complete getting the vet ruble out and the lot paved, there will be plenty of space. Just beware, the way they direct traffic down there may get hectic and some of the signage may be confusing to out-of-towners, Have Fun Big grin

Take it easy,
Ed

PHLBOS

Thu May 27, 2004 7:01 am

any of you Philly people been to Citizens Bank Park yet? Going there tomorrow night for the Phils vs. Braves. How is the parking situation down there?

I was there at the beginning of May when they played the D-backs.

If the Phillies' game is the only event, the parking isn't too bad. But when you have 2 or more events taking place in the Sports Complex (the other events being at the Spectrum and/or Center) things can get dicey parking wise. At the time I went, there was a rodeo and I think a Flyers game taking place along with the Phillies game I saw. They were even charging people to park at FDR Park across the street (normally, that's usually a freebie that slips under the radar screen).

You may want to check the Wachovia Center and Spectrum event schedules prior to your going to the game to find out whether parking (and traffic) will be a nightmare. From the south, I've seen I-95 northbound become a parking lot from the airport ramps to the Broad Street exit.

She said its not an interstate, I knew she was wrong. Im always right on roads.

Ed,

I feel for you. To this day, I have 'similar discussions' with my mother over roads in the Greater Boston area (my old stomping grounds). Big grin <br><br>[Edited 2004-05-27 00:10:40]</div>

<div id="TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

AVPOH77
Topic Author

Thu May 27, 2004 7:14 am

I'm gonna be down there early anyhow, me and the girlfriend are taking the tour of the park and that starts at 12:30. Then off too Chickie+Pete's or some brews! Go Phils!
Fly Delta Jets