scutfarcus

Spotting In Reno - Large Hill At Runway

Thu May 27, 2004 11:04 am

Hi All - I'm spending a few weeks in Reno, and upon flying in I noticed a rather large hill right to the southeast of the main RNO runway. Looks like a fabulous place to climb up and watch some planes, and from the air it looked quite public. Anyone familiar with Reno know if this is an ok place to go, or will I get chased away?

65captin

RE: Spotting In Reno - Large Hill At Runway

Thu May 27, 2004 11:34 am

Its been awhile since I have been to Reno, but if I remember correctly there are two hills at the SE side of the airport, one I know has some nice hiking trails that u can hike and offers a some nice views of RNO. Reno had/has a very 'public friendly' rep the last time I was there (5yrs ago) so I see no harm in spotting from there. Let me know how it goes Ill be up there at the end of the month and I might do some spotting myself.

I hope this helps.
"Dont you ever say an unkind word about Morris Day and Jerome!"

qqflyboy

RE: Spotting In Reno - Large Hill At Runway

Thu May 27, 2004 12:14 pm

That hill is named Rattlesnake Mountain, so I guess I'll let you decide whether it's a good place to go.  Smile Southeast McCarren Blvd. runs right by the base of the mountain. You may be able to find a way up it from there. You might have lots of luck getting a room at the Reno Hilton, too. You'd be at eye level with airliners coming in to land.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.