airplaneboy

Frontier Summer Loads Looking Great

Thu May 27, 2004 11:56 am

I just thought I'd bring up something about F9 to keep us "up to date" in the discussion forum.  Laugh out loud Though I can't provide specific information, I thought I'd let everyone know that our L.A. loads for the summer are looking great.

If you'd like to post anything about F9, feel free to do so. Questions, comments? I know that Mariner and MSYTristar know a lot about F9.

Travis

iowaman

RE: Frontier Summer Loads Looking Great

Thu May 27, 2004 1:13 pm

Great!!! Hope that MSP-LAX is sucessful, I would like to see DEN-DSM or DEN- CID some day.

MSYtristar

Thu May 27, 2004 1:24 pm

Hey Travis, have fun in LAX man. Things are a little different over there then they are down here in terms of F9 activity (well, a lot different actually), but trust me, the "spirit" is the same.

BTW, in case you haven't seen her yet in person, be on the lookout for aircraft 927. She flew in here today and man is she ever a beauty. "Flip" looks right at home on her tail. She still has that "new plane smell"....ah, you just can't beat it.  Smile

Steve/MSY

mariner

Thu May 27, 2004 2:29 pm

MSYtristar:

Steve, I thought MSY was going to be the A318 for the summer. But checking the website, it seems to be the A319 more often.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

flashmeister

Thu May 27, 2004 2:31 pm

How are LAX-PHL and PHL-LAX doing (without disclosing numbers, of course)... light? heavy? as expected?

nosedive

Thu May 27, 2004 2:46 pm

Awesome news, it looks like TED and F9 will be able to coexist. Not that they wern't going to. As F9 is doing expansions away from DEN, and TED is utilizing all the UA outposts(ORD, IAD, DEN, SFO-to an extent, and LAX- also to an extent).

StevenUhl777

Thu May 27, 2004 2:55 pm

I didn't quite believe him at first, but I now believe 'Mariner' is very correct in stating that UA and F9 need one another at DEN...the fact that F9's loads are high and strong for the summer, and that TED has so far exceeded expectations of the constantly negative UA-hater analysts in terms of load factor, support his argument.

I would look for TED to continue expanding, though hopefully based on intelligent planning. I believe that TED will eventually dominate IAD once Independence Air flushes itself down the toilet.

GO TED!
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

MSYtristar

Thu May 27, 2004 9:29 pm

Mariner,

DEN-MSY just switched over to an A319 again. It will remain this way until July 1st, when we see the return of the 737-300 through late August. Then, looks like the 319 again. We sure do get the whole rotation of aircraft down here that's for sure!

Steve

frntman

Mon May 31, 2004 4:58 am

How are LAX-PHL and PHL-LAX doing (without disclosing numbers, of course)... light? heavy? as expected?

I'd say the loads are doing better than expected. Having been in PHL for the opening for the past week, the reception from the airport was absolutely great! Other airlines were also stopping by the ticket counter and the gate wishing us the best of luck.

All in all, a great start-up.

flashmeister

Mon May 31, 2004 9:14 am

Good to hear. I was afraid that WN was a tough act to follow at PHL. Hopefully the loads (and yields) will be there!

ual747den

Mon May 31, 2004 9:20 am

It is amazing to me how successful FRONTIER is. It seems like every city they open up does well and everyone is happy to see them come in. The service is great, you can tell that all of the employees are happy to be there and enjoy their job. In a time where airlines are not doing great its good to see one like F9 making good decisions and being successful.
On a side note, I used to think that F9 and B6 would do great if they were to merge, however now I don't think so. B6 is growing way to fast and with their aircraft orders is expecting to speed up even faster! I don't think that works very well with the way F9 does business. I expect F9 to open a "focus city" in the east within the next 6 months. This will open up the Caribbean for F9 service and after that I believe we will see Hawaii on the F9 route map..
/// UNITED AIRLINES

txagkuwait

Mon May 31, 2004 9:22 am

I think it's great that loads are looking good.

But let's get real for just a moment.

Is Frontier making any money?

>>Frontier on course for $5.4M loss
High fuel prices, weak sales could end profitable string

By David Kesmodel, Rocky Mountain News
May 27, 2004

Frontier Airlines is expected today to end a string of three profitable quarters by posting a loss that one analyst said might top $5 million and disappoint Wall Street.

Citing high fuel prices and weaker-than-expected sales, analysts on average have been projecting a net loss of about $1 million, or 3 cents a share, for the three months ended March 31.

J.P. Morgan analyst Jamie Baker said Wednesday he expects Frontier to record a net loss of $5.4 million after reviewing financial results the Denver- based discounter filed recently with the U.S. Department of Transportation.

In the filing, dated May 12, Frontier said its net loss in its fiscal fourth quarter was $5.4 million, or about 14 cents a share.

Baker said "Form 41" Transportation Department filings can differ from results reported under generally accepted accounting principles, or GAAP, by excluding one- time gains or charges. But he said he didn't expect any one-time items in the results Frontier will post today.

"We believe Frontier's net loss will reach $5.4 million," he said in a report to investors.

Frontier's filings with the Transportation Department have matched results reported under GAAP in seven of the previous eight quarters, he said.

Frontier spokesman Joe Hodas stressed that the numbers submitted to the Transportation Department are "preliminary and unaudited." He wouldn't comment further.

Baker had been projecting that Frontier would break even in the January-March quarter.

A year earlier, the airline recorded a company-record loss of $13 million as it suffered from Denver's worst blizzard in years.

A loss in the latest period would be the fifth in the past nine quarters for Frontier, which ranks second after UAL Corp.'s United Airlines in the number of passengers served at Denver International Airport.

"For a low-cost carrier, Frontier's grasp on profits is elusive at best," Baker said in his report.

Baker said Frontier's results since 2002 compare favorably with those of big hub carriers such as American. But other discounters have done better, with AirTran reporting only one quarterly loss since the beginning of 2002 and JetBlue and Southwest reporting none, he said.

"In the post-9/11 revenue environment, Frontier therefore appears capable of profit only when oil prices are low and/or UAL mismanagement is high," he said.

His comments followed a negative report Friday by Raymond James & Associates analyst Jim Parker.

Parker, who owns Frontier shares, cut his earnings estimates for each quarter of fiscal 2005, which began April 1. For the April-June quarter, he cut projected profits to 5 cents a share from 11 cents.

He said he made the cuts primarily because of the recent rise in crude oil prices to about $41 a barrel. Frontier hedged only 7 percent of its fuel needs for the first six months of 2004.

In addition to high fuel prices, analysts are concerned about Frontier's tough pricing competition and the possibility that United's new budget carrier, Ted, will wrest cost-conscious fliers from Frontier at DIA.

Frontier shares fell 10 cents, or 1 percent, to $9.55, Wednesday and are down 33 percent this year <<

Ultimately the real test s not whether or not tha planes have lots of people on them, but whether or not, at the end of the financial reporting period, there is black (rather than red) ink.

mariner

Mon May 31, 2004 9:42 am

TexAgKuwait:

Is Frontier making any money? Yes.

Frontier's financial year runs from March 31 to April 1. For that financial year, they have declared a profit of $12.6 million - or 36 cents a share.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040528/laf014_1.html

However, they did make a loss in the last quarter of that year - Jan/Mar - mostly because of the sky high price of fuel.

Which affects all airlines. UAL has estimated that they will pay $700 million more for fuel this year than they had forecast.

UAL would have made an operating profit in April at usual fuel price - this became a $77 million loss.

There are also some inaccuracies in the Rocky Mountain news article. Here's one: yes, the analyst Jamie Baker was predicting break even for Frontier for the Jan/Mar quarter - three months ago.

As soon as Frontier warned about the price of fuel, he revised his estimate to an 8 cent loss. Which - excluding some special charges - is what the loss turned out to be.

Now, a loss is never good. But in these bizarre times, Frontier's $5 million loss in the weakest quarter of the year is not the end of the world.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

MSYtristar

Mon May 31, 2004 10:12 am

Well, we had a profitable fiscal year, something that not many airlines can say at this point. If the price of jet fuel ever becomes more resonable (and honestly I have no idea if this will happen in the short term) you can expect our earnings to go through the roof. We have a good marketing strategy in place, new fuel efficient aircraft, a low cost structure, and an expansive route system. And above all else, we treat passengers well.

This Fall will bring several schedule enhancements and some capacity adjustments to several routes in the network.

Overall, it's an exciting time to be with the company.  Smile

Steve/MSY

airplaneboy

Mon May 31, 2004 2:15 pm

MSYTristar,

I agree. This is definitely an exciting time to be with the company. In fact, it's so exciting that I'm busy reading about F9 on here rather than preparing for my final exams this week!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I'm actually planning to transfer to inflight ops to be an F/A.....and no, F9 has not publicly posted any F/A openings yet. Fortunately for me, internal transfers get to apply first! Yay!!!  Laugh out loud

F9 truly does embody teamwork though. Even with adding 39 employees to our LAX station within the last three months, our station is operating smoothly and we're all working hard. We never forget we're all on the same team...now THAT'S how an airline should run!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Happy flying!

Travis/LAX

airplaneboy

Mon May 31, 2004 3:12 pm

Joey Ramone (UAL777contrail) -

Your remarks are not very kind....

And no, I'm not smoking something. Believe me, if I ever "come off that high," I will quit my job and save my co-workers and passengers the misery. Maybe you should consider doing that yourself....to speculate as to whether or not I'm high. Is there anything wrong with my liking the industry so much? Please do not ever respond to my posts with such negativity. You are wasting your time.

It is unnecessary. If you're jealous about how F9 employees can have a blast, then maybe you need to look for a new job. UA is going through hard times, and no doubt, many of their employees are quite disgruntled. But don't take it out on us. As far as Mariner mentioning UA's loss, it was in response to someone who commented about our loss during our weakest financial quarter. His point in mentioning UA's performance (obviously the two airlines are of different sizes) was to show that even after a fourth quarter loss, we were still profitable.

And by the way, I'm 21, still young, love airlines, and love working for my company. Try not to be so upset over the fortunes of others. It's immature, uncalled for, and unnecessary. Remember, we are all in the same industry and there's no reason for bitterness or harsh words.

"You guys aren't as big as us, and you never will be"

How do you know? Statements like this are purely assumptions and are not facts, unlike financial reports. Once again, please, let's not be so childish. You can't deny UA's performance, and neither can we. But hey, that's how the cookie crumbles. Some companies do well, others don't. Then when you least expect it, things switch.

"United will Stand,uniTED WILL THRIVE,United will Conquer!!!"

This was from your profile. I hope UA survives too. It's an airline I grew up with. But remember, before you bash happy employees at an airline that's doing well, take a look at your company AND the morale of ITS employees before you attck others.

For the record, I have never bashed UA or any other airline. I have been very respectful on this site and I expect the same in return. This is not a forum for WARS, it is a forum for those who share something in COMMON!!!! - Airlines and airliners.
Travis/LAX

P.S. F9 almost always has openings. If you ever have a change of heart or are in need of a job, you know where to look. This is not to be sarcastic, I am being sincere and honest. Communicating through writing can be deceptive, so please do not take my suggestion the wrong way. Good day.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

L-188

Mon May 31, 2004 3:19 pm

Well a lot of passengers at ANC have been getting Frontier Airliners confused with Frontier Flying Service.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

DLKAPA

Mon May 31, 2004 3:42 pm

Well a lot of passengers at ANC have been getting Frontier Airliners confused with Frontier Flying Service.

ROTFLMAO!!!!

You mean they can't discern between turboprops flying regional and nonstop to DEN??? ok, that's understandable, but still.

Is it still a possibility that F9 might switch some of their A319 options to A320's?

And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

airplaneboy

Mon May 31, 2004 4:17 pm

L-188:

That was funny!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Let's hope they can find their way to the right airport.  Laugh out loud j/k

DLKAPA:

From what I understand, our company presently does not have plans to order any A320's. They are too large for us. The 319 and 318 have been perfect, at least according to our CEO, Jeff Potter.

It would sure be nice though. I'm hoping for A321's as well. You never know!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Mariner and MSYTristar may have better explanations than me though.

Travis/LAX

DLKAPA

Mon May 31, 2004 4:23 pm

From what I have been reading in the past, Mariner has stated that by the end of the year some of the A319 options would be switches for A320's to cover some of the busier routes.

Would be nice to see one (still clinging on desperately to hopes of A330  Smile/happy/getting dizzy )

DLKAPA
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

L-188

Mon May 31, 2004 4:23 pm

I understand that Frontier uses the international terminal, while Frontier Flying Serives flies out of the old A gates.

Which is where most of the problems are comming in since it is a real decent hike between the two terminals.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Doug Owens
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dmitry Kudryn

Big defference eh?

airplaneboy

Mon May 31, 2004 4:35 pm

Good point L-188.

Frontier Airlines and Frontier Flying Service.... What would be a good way for people to distinguish the two? If I didn't know anything about airlines or planes, I would be really confused too. After all, I'd only remember "Frontier." I'd wonder what the difference between 'flying service' and 'airlines' is.

Let's hope that gets fixed.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Travis/LAX

L-188

Mon May 31, 2004 4:41 pm

Yes, F9 is just going to have to change it's name.

Frontier Flying Service was using it first!

mariner

Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:35 am

DLKAPA:

In their new contract with Airbus, for 15 x A319, Frontier has the ability to convert all or any of those aircraft to A320.

This does not mean that they will convert those orders. Also, as part of the contract, Frontier is required by Airbus to lease an additional 3 x A319 or 3 x A320 (from a third party lessor).

It both cases, it is completely Frontier's choice as to whether they switch to A320's or stay with A319.

On top of that, at the time of signing the contract, Frontier said they intended to lease an additional 16 x A319 or A318.

The lastest clue we have from the CEO was at the Bear Sterns Aviation Conference last month, when he said that "the fleet will continue to be a mix of A319's and A318's."

So - it sounds as if Frontier has decided that the A319/A318 mix suits them, and they may not go with the A320.

Or - they simply may not have decided about the A320 yet.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

ual777contrail

Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:38 am

AIRPLANEBOY,
Mylanta, you read way into that last thread. I didn't realize you were so sensitive. I apologize for ruffling your wings. I don't want a job with F9, nor will I ever, they aren't a big airline like UAL. If UAL was to go under(it wont) I don't want to work in the industry any more, it isn't worth it. I have 9 years going on 10 real soon, and I wouldn't want to work for any other carrier than UAL, and just so you know, everyone feels the way you do when they first start off so it isn't new. I make wonderful money, excellent benefits, and my job is fun, so no I don't want a job with F9. I work CS for UAL and you get tired of the idiots and people who just have no clue how to travel by air. So your praises of such a fun and exciting job are felt on both sides, I just don't wear it on my sleeve. So don't take offense to what I said, I really was only making a joke.

you guys aren't as big and never will be.

be honest with yourself, you actually think F9 will be the second largest airline in the world? Bigger than WN in the LCC market? NAW.

I know how mariner says F9 and UAL can co-exist and such in the DEN market. YES They can, I don't like F9 and the way they whine, Mariner says they don't but they do, and since I work for the rival I don't have sympathy, we aren't on the same team just in the same league or division. When COS gets diversions you always see F9 wandering around the tarmac looking for someone to work them, it is quit amusing. Explain why they got rid of HP working their diversions?

Good luck, and happy days.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

mariner

Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:10 am

UAL777CONTRAIL:

"be honest with yourself, you actually think F9 will be the second biggest airline in the world?"

I don't.

I don't want it to be the second biggest airline in the world.

I want it simply to be an extension of what it is now - an alternative.

As your bosses obviously think it is:

http://finance.messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&action=m&board=7080850&tid=acai&sid=7080850&mid=12377

Equally, Frontier sometimes puts pax on UAL - and when they do this means good money for UAL.

Whether you like it or not - and obviously you don't - UAL and F9 are joined at the hip at DEN.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

AirMatt

Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:22 am

Any news on the DEN-ONT loads? Might they be able to upgrade to mainline service?

Jetmek319

Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:50 am

UAL777CONTRAIL:
You don't even want to start a discussion on airlines "whining" if you work for UAL. F9 will never be the 2nd largest airline in the world, nor do I expect UAL to be so in the future. There are some big advantages to being a smaller airline. We at Frontier also make good (not inflated) wages and benefits, so don't play that game, or my dad will come over and beat up your dad. ALL airlines have positives and negatives. Don't pick on airlines because you "hate" them, at least not until your own airline is perfect. Frontier and UAL need each other.

As for F9 and A320's... We have a specification set and approved for the A320, but have no present plans to convert any options/orders. Yet!

AirMatt: Loads right now are between 65-70% through ONT. But I can only see about four days with my access.
Never, ever moon a werewolf !!

gigneil

Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:59 am

When COS gets diversions you always see F9 wandering around the tarmac looking for someone to work them, it is quit amusing.

That's a very sadly unprofessional view.

N

alphascan

Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:16 am

As I understand the F9 A320 vs 319/318 strategy, 320s won't be needed until frequencies are built up between large traffic centers. Considering frequencies are only between 2 and 5 RTs for most cities from DEN now, it might be a couple of years before F9 needs larger aircraft.

"To he who only has a hammer in his toolbelt, every problem looks like a nail."

MSYtristar

Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:41 am

UAL777CONTRAIL wrote:

"I work CS for UAL and you get tired of the idiots and people who just have no clue how to travel by air."

Time for a job change my friend?

In all seriousness, most UAL employees I have met in DEN have been nothing but courteous to myself and to other F9 employees in general. They realize that F9 and UA co-exists nicely in DEN. The two airlines' help each other out when it comes to expediting bags or passenger acceptance due to oversold/cancelled/delayed flights. I have NEVER come across a single UAL employee here that has said "well honestly, I think your airline is a joke so no, we won't be taking any of your passengers today."....or "no, you can't expedite that bag on us." It's all business man, and the more professional and courteous people are to each other, things go more smoothly for both carriers. Enough with the "I hate F9" attitude. It won't get you anywhere trust me.

Steve/MSY

N901FRwolf

Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:59 am

-quote-

AIRPLANEBOY,
Mylanta, you read way into that last thread. I didn't realize you were so sensitive. I apologize for ruffling your wings. I don't want a job with F9, nor will I ever, they aren't a big airline like UAL. If UAL was to go under(it wont) I don't want to work in the industry any more, it isn't worth it. I have 9 years going on 10 real soon, and I wouldn't want to work for any other carrier than UAL, and just so you know, everyone feels the way you do when they first start off so it isn't new.
-quote-

Now that was a rather childish and uppity attitude. I actually started in reservations for F9. Wasn't the greatest of jobs, but it payed rent and let me into the F9 culture. The CULTURE of Frontier is what I love. Being big isn't as important. That culture is what I see lacking in UAL.

-quote-
I make wonderful money, excellent benefits, and my job is fun, so no I don't want a job with F9. I work CS for UAL and you get tired of the idiots and people who just have no clue how to travel by air. So your praises of such a fun and exciting job are felt on both sides, I just don't wear it on my sleeve. So don't take offense to what I said, I really was only making a joke.

you guys aren't as big and never will be.
-quote-

Jokes are meant to be funny. Sarcastic witticism is meant to demean.

-quote-
be honest with yourself, you actually think F9 will be the second largest airline in the world? Bigger than WN in the LCC market? NAW.
-quote-

Actually? I think Frontier will make it to being one of the biggest LCC's. I always feel the legacies will be bigger becuase they serve a different market than LCC's. Big whoop.

-quote-
I know how mariner says F9 and UAL can co-exist and such in the DEN market. YES They can, I don't like F9 and the way they whine, Mariner says they don't but they do, and since I work for the rival I don't have sympathy, we aren't on the same team just in the same league or division.

-quote-

Us whine? Who got pissy when you were forced to finally relenquish some of the gates in A that you weren't using? I remember UAL pitching a IT), USA - Maine">FIT!
Also, during my stint in reservations, we had more converts from UA because of the ATTITUDE people got (and I have gotten from some Ted folk since I started work as an IT tech here in Denver) from UAL employees. The same attitude you show now. I have also met some really, REALLY nice ones. The baggage handlers for one. They always seem to be friendly and polite.

That is whining in it's own. The only whining I see from Frontier is in the IT department, which...well lets say it could be done a whole lot more efficiently.  Love

-quote-
When COS gets diversions you always see F9 wandering around the tarmac looking for someone to work them, it is quit amusing. Explain why they got rid of HP working their diversions?

-quote-

Bias shows. You earn no respect making comments like this. If you are the image of UAL employees, than the company surely will not survive. Or if it does, it will be a lot smaller and a lot more bitter. Try to avoid that. UAL has too much rich history to go the way of Pan Am and Trans World Airlines.

-quote-
Good luck, and happy days.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL
-quote-

By everything you said earlier, I will have to surmise you do not really mean that.

[Edited 2004-06-01 02:03:30]
Frontier - A Whole Different Animal (Beach ball - check, Suntan lotion - Check, thong - check)

quickmover

Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:47 pm

"In their new contract with Airbus, for 15 x A319, Frontier has the ability to convert all or any of those aircraft to A320."

Does anyone know how much more expensive a 320 is compared to a 319? I believe that operating costs are about the same fuel wise, but because of the additional seats, another f/a would be required. Would the extra seats be worth it?

L-188

Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:22 am

Just to show that I wasn't making that story about the Frontier vs. Frontier confusion in the last Frontier, here is the story.

http://www.ktuu.com/archives/html/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=8360

7e72004

Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:26 am

How has The IND-DEN service been doing? Anyone know of any #s??  Big thumbs up
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

DLKAPA

Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:54 am

Sure looks like Frontier is doing bad to me UA777Contrail,

http://www.frontierairlines.com/news/articleDisplay.asp?article=/general/2004/pr_05272004.news

Yeah, with a fiscal year like that, they'll be done by the end of summer  Yeah sure

DLKAPA

mariner

Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:05 am

L-188:

Perhaps Frontier Airlines should start a code share with Frontier Flying Service for intra-Alaska flights.

It would be a fun headline:

"Frontier announces a code share with Frontier."

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

chers

mariner
aeternum nauta

MSYtristar

Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:06 am

IND-DEN is a solid route for F9. The route will be staying at two daily 733's for the near future.

Look for changes on SEVERAL routes in mid August. The schedules haven't been published yet so I'm not going to say what they are, but several end-of-summer changes are in order.

mariner

Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:01 am

MSYTristar:

You've been very upbeat abut the Fall schedule for a few days now, Steve.

I'm assuming you're going to be a bit busier this winter than you were last winter.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

MSYtristar

Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:11 am

Mariner, well, I can't say i'll be busier...yet. There will be an August 15th schedule change followed by one in September or early October. Most likely early October. THAT's the one that is supposed to make me busier, according to just about everyone that I talk to.  Smile

I assume the August change will be published within the next week or so.

Steve

frntman

Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:02 am

The proposed August schedule change won't be finalized until probably June 15th or so. As for this change, look for frequencies to be increased in certain leisure markets and reduced in others.

As Steve mentioned, there will probably be MANY more changes coming up as the fall schedule gets placed together.

The new 319s have to fly somewhere. It'll be an interesting few months to say the least!

mariner

Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:34 am

MSYtristar:

You and I have both mentioned a route that would keep you a bit busy, but there's some paperwork that would have to be done for that, and it hasn't happened yet.

Frntman:

"The new 319's have to fly somewhere."

Yes, indeed. Howsumever, in last week's conference call, the CEO said "no new cities in '05". Bummer. I hope he changes his mind.

He said that the growth (and there's a lot - 40%) would come from more frequencies and more point to point - connecting the dots - between existing cities.

They mentioned Mexico particularly in connection with this.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

MSYtristar

Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:48 am

Mariner, I think the route you are referring to will happen sooner or later. If I was a betting man, I'd say it would happen this year; alas, I am not a betting man, so I dare not speculate. But what the heck, betting on a poposed new route never hurt anyone: put me down for this year!  Big thumbs up

"Connecting the dots" sounds like a good idea for us at this point. We just added a bunch of new markets, and as we all know, adding new routes between exisiting city pairs is much cheaper than opening new cities alltogether. I think it's a good idea for us to get our name out there in some markets which currently only see one or two flights per day. Just my two cents.

Steve in MSY

COfaninBOS

Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:55 pm

I was happy to see in the latest OAG that service to IAH is up to 3 times daily, with one 319, one 733, and one 318.

That's a big improvement over the regional jets that served IAH for awhile. I assume that means F9 is performing well on the DEN-IAH route?

UAL-Fan

Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:01 pm

I flew Frontier today, it was a great flight. The PTV's are really nice.

One interesting thing I learned was that the flights to ANC will only be sold to about 75% of capacity. A Flight Attendant told me that the Airbus can't make it with a full load! I found that rather surprising. How will they make money on this if they can't stuff the plane full?

frntman

Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:02 pm

mariner-

I too listened to the same conference call and don't expect any new cities coming in FY 05. The "paperwork flights" will probably happen from more cities coming down the pike.

I am sure that the route analysts on Tower Road are looking keenly at various markets to see how the proverbial paperwork goes as it relates to additional frequencies. To throw some "paperwork routes out there", what are your thoughts on:

AUS-CUN
BNA-CUN
SMF-CUN

liquid

Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:07 pm

AirplaneBoy-

Did I miss something? UAL777contrail has not posted before you in this thread so why did you start yelling. If you brought it from a different thread keep it there and don't change the subject here.

Liquid
-Liquid

gigneil

Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:10 pm

Unless Frontier chose a very, very, very low MTOW for their 319s, there's no reason they can't make it will both full pax AND cargo.

UA operates the route with an A320 that's technically less capable, and they have no restrictions that I'm aware of.

N

mariner

Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:41 pm

Frntman:

Glad you got the "paperwork cities" clue - I thought maybe I was being too subtle.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

AUS/CUN - terrific.

BNA/CUN - sounds good, and it was in the back of my mind. A few weeks ago they were advertising for 14 (?) CSA's for BNA. That seems a lot for 2 x daily BNA/DEN. I would have thought they'd contract out. So I thought there might be more to BNA than I know about.

SMF/CUN - Frontier knows how much connecting traffic they're getting on this route and I don't. However, I live close by (Russian River). In this whole area there is a huge, established, reasonably affluent, Mexican community, and I get the impression they prefer PVR.

SMF/PVR, maybe? I dunno.

My top pick would be MSY/CUN. It's one of the closest mainland points to CUN, almost a bus ride.

There'd also be huge amounts of perishable cargo (food). I know - Frontier doesn't have a cargo facility at CUN.

But they could.

As to dreams? LAX/HUX. It's one of the few available out of LAX and I much prefer it to IXT. Also, there is no scheduled service from the US to HUX. None. No competition.

But it would new a new city, so it's just a dream.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

frntman

Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:27 pm

mariner-

I agree that MSY-CUN would work and for all we know it could be on the grand list of frequency increases. I would more than ecstatic if this would happen. Granted, this could all be contingent on what the MSY Airport Authority does to sweeten the pot. I don't think it's any grand secret that MSY has been trying to attract more scheduled international service. If there was a possibility that the airport authority could provide some funding for local advertising, reduced landing fees/gate use/rent then the decision might be somewhat easier for those on Tower Road.

Geographically speaking, MSY is in an interesting location to say the least. If one wants to go to CUN, you must either make a connection in IAH, ATL, MIA or DFW; all which seem to be going in the opposite direction and adding additional time. The last time I flew through MSY, I believe Frontier still operated on one of the gates with access to the immigration and customs area. If this does come to fruition, there might be minimal costs involved with the additional flight. Who knows.....

If only those paperwork cities to the north would come to fruition.....