Did Thai Leave Star Because Of Not Cooperating?

Fri Feb 11, 2000 5:53 pm

Rumours say that Thai wasnt cooperating with UAL,SAS,LH and AC.Is this True???

Gundu

Airbus A3XX

RE: Did Thai Leave Star Because Of Not Cooperating?

Fri Feb 11, 2000 8:18 pm

Yesterday I read in Asian Wall Street Journal, the Thai spokemans said that they were unhappy that SIA is going to join the Star Alliance and they said they Lufthansa is transferring passengers to SIA instead of Thai. They said that the joining of SIA to Star Alliance will led to the lost of the SE Asian Anchor position for Thai. They are considering on leaving Star Alliance after SIA joins, which they are posibily leaving that. THe report also said that they will sell 25% of their shares to the public, Qantas, British Airways and Swissair had said that they were interested in buying Thai International Airways.

Amir

Fri Feb 11, 2000 8:44 pm

Hi to all,

one little fact. TG did not leave STAR!!!!! there are a lot of rumours and it might eventually happen, but yet they still are a STAR memebr!

brgds
Amir

FITPilot

Sat Feb 12, 2000 3:14 am

I am not sure if THAI is not cooperating with the other airlines in Star, but I know I would be less motivated to cooperate if I was a founding member and the other members took in a new airline that competed directly with me and began pushing me to the side for the other airline. It does not seem like the other members are really cooperating with THAI. I would hate to see THAI leave Star but can see why they might want to.

Skystar

Sat Feb 12, 2000 8:54 am

Let's get one thing straight, Thai is still a member of Star.

I'm not going to say too much except at the Star meeting in Japan a few months back (the intro of ANA), quite a few exectutives were commeneting on safety matters and how that relates to the Star Alliance.

While they didn't say names, it was obvious who they were talking about...TG.

I don't think there could be too much said about Star not cooperating, TG is very close to LH and SK (SK's ties go back a long way...). However, if they do leave, SQ's entry would probably be a major factor. But frankly, SQ is more an asset than TG in all honesty.

Cheers,

Justin