lnglive1011yyz

Southwest Airlines To Offer Buyout Packages..

Fri May 28, 2004 10:33 pm

Everyone,

Sorry if this topic has already been discussed, I haven't seen it yet..

In a report from CNN.com, CNN is reporting the Southwest Airlines has offered about 33,000 out of a potential 34,000 employees a buyout package.

The buyout packages came in the form of 3 different packages, with varying different types of retribution.

Southwest claims that the cost of fuel, among other things, was the reason for the buyout, and that there was no cap in the number of employees they would allow to apply for the buyout.

The question is, why would they offer to buyout every employee? What happens if say, more than 50% of their workforce decided to take the package?

Is the state of the aviation industry so bad right now that they're having to offer this type of buyout package to their employees? Hasn't Southwest been consistently profitable now for quite a long time?

Thanks everyone,

Lnglive1011yyz -- aka Mike
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

Cessna172RG

RE: Southwest Airlines To Offer Buyout Packages..

Fri May 28, 2004 10:36 pm

Perhaps it would assist my comprehension of this topic if I knew what a "buy out" is. What is a buy out?
Save the whales...for dinner!!!

OPNLguy

RE: Southwest Airlines To Offer Buyout Packages..

Fri May 28, 2004 10:37 pm

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.