Korean Air's Disappointing Safety Record - Why?

Sat Feb 12, 2000 2:40 am

Why is it that Korean Air has such a disappointing safety record? Especially with the crashes in Guam and Stansted. Not to mention a higher rate of accidents and crashes due to "attempted landings and takeoffs", than Western carriers over the past 10-15 years.

Other Asian carriers such as China Airlines and mainland Chinese carriers also have similar safety records, too.

The FAA wouldn't tolerate such a high rate of accidents and crashes with any US airline for sure.

che

RE: Korean Air's Disappointing Safety Record - Why?

Sat Feb 12, 2000 11:49 am

I have heard that the reason for such bad safety records for Asian airlines is that the tradition of honoring ones elders is in the cockpit. That prevents junior pilots from questioning the descisions of the captain.

Read The Korean Air Safety Audit Online

Sat Feb 12, 2000 5:08 pm

Here is a link where you can read the famous (infamous?) Korean Air saftey audit that was conducted of 747 "Classic" operations in 1998.

http://www.vision.net.au/~apaterson/aviation/korean_audit.htm

I strongly advise you read it, even though it's a long document, it's chilling and some of what goes on is amazing.

(The link was provided by Lufthansa747 in a previous post, so I can't take any credir for it)

Regards
James

Air Force Pilots

Sat Feb 12, 2000 5:38 pm

I have always been informed that a lot of KAL pilots are or where air force pilots, and most take to many risks. Its unusual in this sense, because most bad airlines have bad aircraft but ok pilots, this one has pretty good aircraft and a pilot problem