swissgabe

China Southern Airlines (CZ) To Pyongyang (DPRK)

Sat May 29, 2004 1:46 am

It looks like there is again a Chinese airline flying into North Korea. China Southern Airlines operates during the summer month a twice weekly service on a McDonnell Douglas MD90 from Shenyang to Pyongyang. The schedule looks as follows:

07JUN04 27SEP04 1...5.. SHE FNJ 0730 0910 CZ 651 M90
07JUN04 27SEP04 1...5.. FNJ SHE 1000 0940 CZ 652 M90
As far as I know, it is the first time, China Southern Airlines operates scheduled flights into North Korea. Earlier it was China Northern or China Northwest flying into FNJ from PEK or/and via SHE.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

solnabo

RE: China Southern Airlines (CZ) To Pyongyang (DPRK)

Sat May 29, 2004 1:57 am

Is it true that Kim Yung Ill is scared of flying??
Its a roumor and I´m curius.
Cheers

Micke//SE  Big thumbs up
Airbus SAS - Love them both

swissgabe

Sat May 29, 2004 2:04 am

Solnabo
I think it is not only a rumor. I mean taking to train to Beijing still makes sense but he even went to Moscow by train.

Btw, does anyone know, if Kim ever was in Havana?

geekydude

Sat May 29, 2004 6:49 am

As a side note, that will be an incredibly short hop. According to the great circle mapper, there's only 203 miles between SHE and FNJ. Half an hour maybe?
SHE (Shenyang) is the capital city of Liaoning province which borders upon North Korea. There is a large population of Korean ethnicity residing in this city of 8 million people. My experience is that businesses and travels between Shenyang and South Korea have been booming with leaps and bounds since the 90's when formal diplomatic relationship was established between China and S. Korea; whereas ties between Shenyang and the North seems to have lagged far behind if not really dwindled. I just hope the decision to open up this route is based on business and travel demands rather than political purposes.
Between S. Korea and Shenyang, currently as far as I know KE operates two daily flights between SHE and ICN: the moring flight KE831 uses A333 and the afternoon one KE833 a B739. KE used to have a 772 on this route. In addition CZ also has one or two SHE-ICN flights using an A300 or MD-82/90. The direct distance between SHE and ICN is only a little over 320 miles. However the duration of the flight usually ranges between 1 hour 15 min to 1hour 35 min since all China-S. Korea flights are not authorized to pass directly over North Korea. What a bummer! Hope one day this issue could be resolved.

[Edited 2004-05-29 00:15:58]
FLIB 152 'heavy' low approach...Caution wake turbulance!

airmale

Sat May 29, 2004 9:11 pm

Hasnt this service been gained from China Northern who have been merged into CZ, or had that operation ceased? Moscow, Novosibirsk, Almaty, Bishkek and Islamabad are other destinations they have gained, all were previously served by China Xinjiang from Urumqi.
.....up there with the best!

swissgabe

Sat May 29, 2004 9:29 pm

Geekydude
Thanks for this information. I also noted KE's ops into SHE. Next time going to FNJ, I would love to fly JS from SHE or VVO since I'm looking to fly on the TU3 or TU5.

Airmale,
I think that is possible

AC

Sat May 29, 2004 10:12 pm

Hi Swissgabe,

I have little ideas on aviation business in DPRK. What foreign airliness operate routines to DPRK? What are the major routines of JS?

Thanks
AC
I Believe I Can Fly...

swissgabe

Sat May 29, 2004 11:59 pm

AC, it is mainly Air Koryo who operates into the DPRK. Especially during the winter season, there are NO foreign carriers flying into North Korea. Now, during summer, there is China Southern operating a twice weekly service to Pyongyang.

Earlier (10 years plus), there have been several airlines flying to Pyongyang on regular basis. Namely Interflug from Berlin, Aeroflot from Moscow and sure some Chinese carriers as well. Not sure about airlines such as Vietnam Airlines, Cubana (?) and others ...

Air Koryo used to fly on scheduled basis from FNJ to MFM, BKK, SXF (via SVO), SVO etc. But now as per the CRS, there are only regular flights from FNJ to VVO, SHE, VVO and of course PEK.

AC

Sun May 30, 2004 12:40 am

Thanks for your info. Hoping more airlines and more non-russian made aircrafts will fly to N. Korea soon.
I Believe I Can Fly...

swissgabe

Mon May 31, 2004 4:11 pm

Well AC, Korean and Asiana also had their 737 in Pyongyang during Christmas season. The flight have even been published in the CRS.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos