FlySAA

AA191: Listen To Pilots Conversation

Sat May 29, 2004 3:41 am

Listen to the crew's final conversation, click here to download:

http://www.airdisaster.com/download2/aa191.shtml

747buff

RE: AA191: Listen To Pilots Conversation

Sat May 29, 2004 4:43 am

That is actually a recording of ORD's ATC watching the take-off/crash. As I remember reading, the plane didn't have much info on the CVR because when the engine departed the a/c it took most of the electrical power with it.
At Eastern, we earn our wings every day!

fallout01

Sat May 29, 2004 4:47 am

That's ATC at ORD.

I think the only thing they got from the CVR was "Damn!" or "Oh Damn!"

ua777222

Sat May 29, 2004 4:51 am

Why would anyone want to listen to a man/mens last moments??? This is very sad and I think this post should be deleted. If you want to listen to it so damn bad go out and look for it don't advertise it!

UA777222
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

trekster

Sat May 29, 2004 4:55 am

Some of the clips i have heard at this site are shocking, but they need to be heard to show how people cope in these circumstances.

i am into this part of the av world, so i listen to em and see what i can tell then read the report and see what it says.

If people did not want them listened to, why would they be on a website like airdisaster.com
Where does the time go???

clrd2go

Sat May 29, 2004 5:09 am

I think the worst one I've ever heard was a DC10 which attempted to land
on a closed runway at MEX..horrible.

Jim
What a long strange trip it's been

bongo

Sat May 29, 2004 5:32 am

Ua777222:

"Why would anyone want to listen to a man/mens last moments??? "

I think I want to listen that recording since I'm an aviation fan, not because I enjoy listen someone dying but I want to know everything related to the industry, so calm down...this forum is to learn and know more about planes.
 Big grin
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

cmb320

Sat May 29, 2004 5:39 am

Is there any video footage of AA191? I've yet to see any.

Thanks

tristarenvy

Sat May 29, 2004 5:42 am

I agree w/Jim about that Western DC-10 CVR audio. Horrible. Reading some of the transcripts of other crashes makes you glad that you DON'T get to hear it... The Lauda 767 crash is a bad read, as is the PSA 727, and Fine DC-8 crash. Bless all of 'em.
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

fallout01

Sat May 29, 2004 5:58 am

UA777222:

I share your feelings of horror, and here's my take on the matter: we humans (for the most part anyway) are terrified by the idea of our own deaths. It's the great unknown that faces us all, and to hear it happen to someone else, to hear their final moments might in some way be illustrative to us on a very visceral level.

I listened to all the CVR recordings on the web site mentioned...most were too degraded to be discernible, but the few that were discernible were chilling. Will I bookmark the site? No. Do I ever want to listen to them again? Definitely not.

Years ago, when I was flying for the Army, we were doing a night exercise. One of the ships in the scout squadron flew into terrain and I heard it all...including the pilot's last words and other utterances. Those last moments played over, and over, and over in my head...but do you know what? They made me grateful to be alive, and they damned sure made me a far more meticulous aviator. They pretty much made a young and self-described "immortal" pilot become a sensible one.

There will always be those sick types that get some kind of thrill out of hearing such things (as Walter Mathau said to the bimbo in Fail Safe..."I know your type!") but that doesn't mean that we should delete posts or remove references...if nothing else, hearing those CVR recordings served as yet another reminder to me to make sure that I'm as thorough as I'm expected to be this weekend when I fly.

Those tapes will be on my mind, so, if that makes me safer in the skies then I applaud Flysaa for starting the thread.

Regards.

captaingomes

Sat May 29, 2004 6:14 am

UA777222, I also believe that this should not be removed. We all know what is being provided, so those that either don't want to listen, or who cannot deal with it, can just move along and not open it. But these CVR tapes are important to many people, as they can give clues as to what went wrong, or how pilots deal with extreme situations. No pilot wants to be in such a situation, but hopefully we can learn from past tragedies and do our best to avoid them in the future.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

Greg

Sat May 29, 2004 6:34 am

Not to be contrary..but people don't listen to them for enjoyment. They listen out of curiosity--and there is nothing wrong with that, the tapes are not sacred.

I was particularly captivated by some of the calls from the 9/11 planes. There is a certain humanity in hearing the desperation of the situation. It brings a human face to what was an overwhelming event.

Wrong? Absolutely not.
Sad and eery? Without a doubt.

Frankly, if you don't like them, just don't listern. It's not public radio.

Type-Rated

Sat May 29, 2004 10:02 am

UA777222:

As noted earlier, these recordings come with warnings letting you know that they may be "disturbing" to some.

Actually, they are educational and not entertainment. Why do you think that the NTSB makes crash reports public? Why does the AOPA and Flying magazine publish accident reports? Why are their binders of "incidents" on hand at the airlines pilot training centers for pilots to review?
The education part is learning by others mistakes. A accident is almost never a single incident. It's always a series of incidents that brings the aircraft down. By learning how to handle all possibilities of incidents that can possibly happen makes for a safer pilot. You learn to avoid the same circumstances that others have fallen into.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

ConcordeBoy

Sun May 30, 2004 2:43 am

This is very sad and I think this post should be deleted.

Grow up  Yeah sure
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

SpeedbirdHeavy

Sun May 30, 2004 3:27 am

Why would anyone want to listen to a man/mens last moments??? This is very sad and I think this post should be deleted.

Shouldn't you be out at your church's media indecency crackdown demonstration or something?
China Airlines...Come fry with us!

Silver1SWA
Crew

Sun May 30, 2004 3:42 am

Has anyone heard the ATC tapes of the final moments of Alaska 261? Now THAT was eerie. Not only do you hear the pilots final transmissions to ATC, but you also hear two other aircraft in the area watching the event unfold and reporting everything to ATC.

Not to be contrary..but people don't listen to them for enjoyment. They listen out of curiosity--and there is nothing wrong with that, the tapes are not sacred.

I agree.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ConcordeBoy

Sun May 30, 2004 4:06 am

Has anyone heard the ATC tapes of the final moments of Alaska 261? Now THAT was eerie

Too right, that was downright chilling!  Wow!

"And he's just hit the water.
Uh, yes sir, he's just hit the water... he's down
"  Crying

http://www.jetphotos.net/cgi-bin/countdown/countdown.cgi?asa261.wav
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

trekster

Sun May 30, 2004 4:50 am

Now that was a freaky one.

Im just off to look at air diaster.com and the faa website to see what happened to this plane.
Where does the time go???

canoecarrier

Sun May 30, 2004 6:30 am

The NTSB website has a computer simulation of AS 261 that was a sobering one to watch. You can hear the pilots struggling with the plane and see how they were able to initially regain some control, only to lose it in the end.

These tapes are important for educational reasons, knowing what actions and reactions were taken in the immediate aftermath of an accident help us understand how to keep them from happening again.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

PhilSquares

Sun May 30, 2004 6:47 am

As a professional airline pilot, I have no problems at all with the CVR. If there is anything that can be learned and implemented to prevent another similar type accident, I am all for it.

Interesting to note the disclaimer on the website. No one is forcing anyone to go and listen. The printed transcripts are all available from the NTSB, so what is the difference?
Fly fast, live slow

Aloha717200

Sun May 30, 2004 8:09 am

One that I found particularly bad is USAir 427. What makes it worse is hearing the friendly conversation just before the crash occured. Horrible.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos