jetbluefan1

Is JetBlue Trying To Kill Off Song And Ted?

Sat May 29, 2004 9:46 am

While JetBlue may not be moving too aggressively against Ted, it seems that they are really trying to start to hunt Song down. They've been offering a $59 one-way sale fare between BOS and MCO, TPA, FLL for quite a while now, and come November, they'll be adding a 5th to MCO and 3rd to FLL. Song matched the sale fare (golly gee, really?), but I'm trying to think: Is Song's CASM low enough that they can make a profit with such low yields? Also, out of JFK, JetBlue is offering $69 to FLL, MCO, TPA, and PBI. I wonder why they didn't include RSW.

On a lighter note, JetBlue is offering IAD-FLL at $49 one-way (that's as much as JFK-SYR). This is a brand new route for Ted (it's actually brand new in the United system), and they did end up matching it. I highly doubt that Ted is making money off such low yields either.

Does anyone know why JetBlue all of a sudden decided to drop fares and go on an all-out war against Song? JetBlue, IMO, is not the type of airline that attacks other airlines intentionally, but instead goes its own way and does its own thing.

Any thoughts?

JetBluefan1

DfwRevolution

RE: Is JetBlue Trying To Kill Off Song And Ted?

Sat May 29, 2004 9:53 am

You could also view it as a fight for survival  Big grin..... just a thought

rojo

Sat May 29, 2004 9:53 am

Is JetBlue Trying To Kill Off Song And Ted?

I thought it was the other way around!!!

mariner

Sat May 29, 2004 9:55 am

"JetBlue is not the type of airline hat attacks other airlines intentionally..."

Um - they did start LGB/ATL - which was perceived as an attack by both Delta and Airtran to ATL/LAX.

And JetBlue did start the transcon wars, especially JFK/OAK. Remember when AA matched fares on that route - and then pulled out?

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

scottysair

Sat May 29, 2004 9:56 am

One more note about jetBlue and when is begin added with more flight from BOS-MCO/FLL? What date will able to add more new flight? Thanks!  Smile

jetbluefan1

Sat May 29, 2004 9:59 am

Um - they did start LGB/ATL - which was perceived as an attack by both Delta and Airtran to ATL/LAX.

But it shouldn't have been taken that way. ATL-LA was long overdue for low-fare service.

And JetBlue did start the transcon wars, especially JFK/OAK. Remember when AA matched fares on that route - and then pulled out?

That was more or less AA's fault. They serve SFO with lots of flights anyway, why would they need OAK? To intentionally compete with JetBlue, of course. I think JetBlue's sales to OAK was to stimulate traffic or make a buzz.

JetBluefan1

mariner

Sat May 29, 2004 10:22 am

JetBluefan1:

"But it shouldn't have been taken that way. ATL/LA was long overdue for low-fare service."

Um - sorry, again, but I think AirTran would argue that they were providing that.

"That was more or less AA's fault."

Ah - not quite. Just as JetBlue doesn't fly into LAX but into the LA area, it doesn't fly into SFO, but into the Bay Area.

The JFK/Bay Area flights were a huge ATM for AA - for another airline to fly JFK/Bay Area was a direct attack on AA's piggy bank.

I'm not criticizing JetBlue - good luck to 'em, it was time someone shook things up - but you said they didn't attack other airlines.

I don't think that I agree.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

DCA-ROCguy

Sat May 29, 2004 10:33 am

Actually, AirTran only announced service on the ATL- LA Basin market after JetBlue did. AirTran had been looking at the market, and JetBlue's announcement only speeded up their process. But FL wasn't serving the market when B6 announced.

Isn't the Florida market weaker during the summer? Maybe JetBlue is stimulating demand to fill capacity. Yes, Song certainly isn't going to make money on those fares. Delta as we know doesn't publish separate figures for Song, but the New York Times has said Song's CASM is probably over eight cents.

It hasn't been JetBlue's style to "go after" other carriers; they just look where travel is terribly overpriced--like transcons--and offer a good product at a far better price. That raises the question, shouldn't they just move a/c to increase transcon frequencies during the summer, when demand in that segment is strongest? Maybe someone else has more info.

Of course a specific move against Song is possible, but it's unlikely that JetBlue's exceptionally low summer fares are more than a step to keep planes on the Florida routes filled during the summer. And JetBlue is probably at least breaking even doing so.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

jetbluefan1

Sat May 29, 2004 10:45 am

"But it shouldn't have been taken that way. ATL/LA was long overdue for low-fare service."

Um - sorry, again, but I think AirTran would argue that they were providing that.

"That was more or less AA's fault."

Ah - not quite. Just as JetBlue doesn't fly into LAX but into the LA area, it doesn't fly into SFO, but into the Bay Area.

The JFK/Bay Area flights were a huge ATM for AA - for another airline to fly JFK/Bay Area was a direct attack on AA's piggy bank.

Mariner,

There's a difference between going into an overpriced market and attacking an airline. Both ATL and OAK were because of overpriced markets. LGB-ATL was made to lower fares. Yes, it may have also been to cut a bit into Delta's pockets, but I'm sure that was not the prime reason. Also, JetBlue wouldn't have entered the market if AirTran was already flying it.

As far as the Bay Area, you can't really call it an attack. NYC-Bay Area is a VERY popular route, and JetBlue saw money there - afterall, it's one of the biggest cities in the U.S. As New York City's low-fare airline, JetBlue decided to bring those low fares to the Bay Area. You can't really call that an attack on AA, especially today where transcon flying is MUCH cheaper than four years ago.

But hey, Mariner, I see what you're saying and you do bring up valid points.

Isn't the Florida market weaker during the summer?

It's weaker, but not weak of course. July and August are absolutely huge for Florida (especially FLL as people have to connect to cruise lines). But their sale fares really don't extend much into those months - it's mostly June.

JetBluefan1

cx123

Sat May 29, 2004 10:46 am

I must say B6, is one of the best airline I have travelled and I think compared to other LCC they are the best. I mean just because you are LOW COST it doesn't mean you remove good service and snacks!!!

It is 10 times better than AA and I think if they expand the Nth American network, I will definitely choose them rather then the horrible AA.

F4N

Sat May 29, 2004 10:47 am

To all:

It would make sense for JetBlue to try and deal with its' less well established competitors before it inevitably has to deal with WN.

Only room for 1 at the top; both JB and WN know it. Just a matter of time.

regards,

F4N

asteriskceo

Sat May 29, 2004 10:49 am

Aren't all airlines trying to kill eachother!? lol

jetbluefan1

Sat May 29, 2004 10:50 am

It would make sense for JetBlue to try and deal with its' less well established competitors before it inevitably has to deal with WN.

That would make complete sense if Song and Ted weren't a part of Delta and United - perhaps the most established carriers out there.

JetBluefan1

mariner

Sat May 29, 2004 11:04 am

Jetbluefan1 and DCA-ROCguy:

Ah - you both got me - but not by much!

JetBlue announced LGB/ATL on 18/02/03. Airtran announced ATL/LAX on 03/04/03.

Remains true about JFK/Bay Area. The truth may be one thing - the perception of what is true is something else.

Whether JetBlue intended an "attack" or not, that's how it was perceived - an attack on AA's piggy bank.

As I say, goood luck to 'em.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

F4N

Sat May 29, 2004 11:16 am

JetBluefan1:

It makes sense for JB to go on the offensive against Song and Ted whether they are part of well-established carriers or not. If JB can render either one or both unprofitable, UA and DL will jettison them with alacrity; they will go the route of Metrojet, United Shuttle, CO lite, Delta express ect...

F4N

JBLUA320

Sat May 29, 2004 12:08 pm

jetBlue is trying to pull the rug out from underneath song while song is still in a weak position. It is not jetBlue's style to "attack" an airline, but its more for the sake of competition- welcome to the USA where capitalism prospers!

song is in a very weak position right now, and jetBlue knows it. The logic, I believe, is to attack the weakest while they are hurting, and if they can ruffle the feathers of someone else while they are at it (Ted), then all the better. Neither jetBlue, song or Ted have particularly deep pockets (even back to the parent airlines, Delta and United), with jetBlue being in the best position of the three.

Ted doesnt yet have a loyal following from Dulles yet, and one can only expect jetBlue to try and protect the loyalty base they have worked hard to maintain. And in no way do I suggest anything against Ted, but I think jetBlue will maintain its loyalty base without much effort.

As for song... Its really hard to look at song and not get confused. For lack of a better way to put it, I dont get that airline!! But it is no lie that they are struggling, and Deltas pockets only run so deep. The cutbacks in frequencies have started (i.e. EWR) so jetBlue KNOWS song is in trouble. Its like the lion waiting for the perfect time to pounce- well, this is the time, and jetBlue is too smart to not take advantage of it.

I do believe this is just the beginning of an intense LCC war out of Washington, DC- but I also believe it will not be long before the weakest of the three drops. I dont wish that upon any employees, but I do think that is how it will play out.

Just my $0.02
Ben

MAH4546

Sat May 29, 2004 12:13 pm

Isn't the Florida market weaker during the summer?

Weaker, yes, but not significantly. Only PBI and RSW are heavily seasonal.
a.

JBLUA320

Sat May 29, 2004 12:15 pm

MAH4546,

I dont know if I would go as far as to say PBI is seasonal. PBI sees a lot of excess flow from people who couldnt get a cheap FLL flight-- RSW is definately seasonal, but PBI stays about as consistant as FLL does.

JBLU

scottysair

Sat May 29, 2004 1:09 pm

Correct! This is alot of those flights day will given them. It should competition of Song. It is good to move for new service out of FLL-OAK anytime soon and how much longer will begun new service to OAK? They need to make beefing up more people are flying into the this summer.

ScottB

Sat May 29, 2004 3:07 pm

Just from my own observations, BOS-Florida does indeed tend to be very seasonal. The summer is quite slow and the traffic drops off significantly. AA offers seasonal non-stops to several Florida cities (aside from MIA) in the winter and spring from BOS, and most of those ended recently. I've always gotten excellent deals to travel to Florida from Boston pretty much from May through October. You can fill the planes, but you have to drop the fares quite significantly to do so.

My feeling about Song reducing capacity at EWR is that it has far, far less to do with jetBlue and more to do with Continental. DL and CO are partners now, and CO has very competitive seat mile costs with the 757-300's to Florida. EWR and JFK are far enough apart (time-wise) to be almost completely different markets under most conditions. And some of that EWR capacity was redeployed into an additional BOS-PBI flight, so clearly Song sees that as being a good route. I mean, one could easily view a long-running sale between BOS and Florida on jetBlue as being a sign of weakness in the market as well; after all, why would you be dumping all that capacity at low when you have fewer seats to offer?

ual747den

Sat May 29, 2004 4:25 pm

I must first say that I love JetBlue and think it is an awesome airline, BUT they are in no position to "kill" Ted or Song. Ted and Song are part of major airlines that could take down JetBlue on any route they fly. What I think B6 is doing is just making some money! They are making money on these routes and I don't believe that they are taking away from any other carrier, all they have done is make fares cheaper which is what would have happened anyways with Ted or Song. Like has already been mentioned above, B6 is not very good at trying to wage a war with other airlines (ATL) they are still pretty small and don't have the money to ride it out like the majors. If one of their aircraft is on a route that is not making money because there is a fare war they have to stop and find a different route and not tie that a/c up. With a major, as long as they are breaking close to even its fine because its not taking up there last aircraft that they could be trying on route that has the possibility of being more profitable. What I am trying to say here is that it is hard for a smaller airline to go to war with a larger airline because the larger airline can stick it out a lot longer..... (I made that way to confusing!)
Now while were on the subject, I think B6 is growing way to fast. They have far to many a/c on order and I hope they are careful. This has been the downfall of many airlines...
/// UNITED AIRLINES

kieso

Sat May 29, 2004 11:55 pm

I believe that jetblue is trying to destroy any competition that comes it's way! I believe B9 wants ALL of JFK to them selves. Yes, they are bring lower prices, but at the expense of thousands of US jobs!

I believe WN is different then B9 because of the way they structure their flights to compete with other carriers, not take over. And I've flown both carriers with no regret. I do believe WN has far better customer skills then B9. You can't make that up with PTV's!

This is just my opinion. Last time I started a topic like this one I got an e-mail from airliners.net telling me not to do it again! I enjoyed reading this and believe there should be more. What's wrong with having an opinion or debate?

Me is Kieso_I love to fly and it shows! YA

BR715-A1-30

Sun May 30, 2004 12:32 am

Personally, I think B6 could kick WN's ass. David Neeleman used to work there and knows some of the tactics they use. Mr. Neeleman has a formidable advantage.
Puhdiddle

airtran737

Sun May 30, 2004 12:44 am

When B6 gets about 400 more airplanes, then maybe they'll be able to hang with WN. For know B6 is like a yapping dog that you just want to kick.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

jetbluefan1

Sun May 30, 2004 1:08 am

For know B6 is like a yapping dog that you just want to kick.

You - as in AA and DL, right? And if you kick him, he'll bite you, right?

JetBluefan1

Jetblue15

Sun May 30, 2004 1:19 am

Jetblue is not trying to kill anyone. I can assure you that. We have nothing to worry about as far as Song and Ted.
racecar spelled backwards spells racecar

Tango-Bravo

Sun May 30, 2004 6:20 am

Hmmm... possibly a case of role reversal?

How short some memories seem to be. It was Song who was by the knee-jerk reactionaries who purport to manage Delta, with the none-too-subtle agenda of trying to kill off JetBlue. This as a retaliation scheme directed at JetBlue for having the unmitigated audacity to meet consumer demand for convenient, reliable and reasonably priced service in markets that were underserved and fare-gouged by the "legacy" airlines.

As Jetblue15 correctly points out, JetBlue is not trying to kill anyone; theirs is a positive agenda of seeing a need and meeting the need where it can be done at a reasonable rate of return. The agenda of the legacies through their attack dog surrogates, such as Song and Ted, is quite different and negative -- to destroy anyone who dares to try to break up their once unchallenged cartel so they can get back to their preferred mode of underserving and price-gouging. Don't be bamboozled by the spin that they are simply trying to remain competitive.

Since the negative, reactionary tactics of DL (Song) and UA (Ted) have a dismal history of achieving their underlying objective, supporters of JetBlue need not be concerned as to who will prevail and who will fail, barring ill-advised government interference in the free market process.

COTXDFW777AA

Sun May 30, 2004 6:35 am

"Personally, I think B6 could kick WN's ass. David Neeleman used to work there and knows some of the tactics they use. Mr. Neeleman has a formidable advantage."

Yes, and I don't know how the company ever went on with him. Oh, wait he isn't even a blip in WN history. I must agree with you though, he does know their tactics, he copied his airline after them.

-COTXDFW777AA
Texas- it's like a whole different country!

jeffie813

Sun May 30, 2004 6:44 am

PBI is definitely not "heavily" seasonal. you see a small drop off in traffic, but nothing significant. typically the reason for passenger drop offs is only because of reduced frequency, not because there isn't demand for it. for instance, despite heavy demand, spirit continues to screw PBI over by keeping us as a seasonal destination. jetblue reduces frequency, even though their flights are nearly always sold out, even in the summertime.

ont 737

Sun May 30, 2004 7:08 am

AIRTRAN 737,
"When B6 gets about 400 more airplanes, then maybe they'll be able to hang with WN. For know B6 is like a yapping dog that you just want to kick."

If B6 is just a little yapping dog, what does that make FL? I would say a little pussy cat. Here are some YTD numbers for you through April.....

Revenue Passenger Miles
JetBlue 4,656,786
AirTran 2,654,239

Avaliable Seat Miles
JetBlue 5,707,578
AirTran 3,759,029

ScottB

Sun May 30, 2004 8:09 am

Jeffie813 says, "typically the reason for passenger drop offs is only because of reduced frequency, not because there isn't demand for it." Have you ever considered WHY the airlines reduce frequency to PBI in the summer and fall? Here's a hint, it's not that they are trying "to screw PBI over by keeping [it] as a seasonal destination." They reduce frequency because the demand for travel to PBI at acceptable (i.e. profitable or nearly so) yields is also reduced during the summer and fall. Why would they keep flying a bunch of seats to PBI that they have to try to fill at deeply discounted fares?

You can look at PBI's traffic numbers (like total passenger counts) to see the seasonality in the market. Even with Song's start up adding seats to PBI last summer (since the 757-200 is much larger than the Delta Express 737-200's were), the fact that passenger counts were below 500,000 from May through October clearly points to weaker demand in summer and fall, especially when every single month from November through April in 2003 and 2004 had total passengers above 500,000. PBI's 9/03 traffic was less than half its 3/04 traffic.

If jetBlue didn't reduce its schedule to PBI in the summer, their flights wouldn't be sold out, and they'd be flying more unprofitable empty seats.

F9Fan

Sun May 30, 2004 9:49 am

I don't think B6 targeted DL/Song or UA/Ted. If anything, it is the other way around. Currently, the only route UA/Ted and B6 compete directly is the IAD-FLL route. If you fly B6 to LAS, you must transfer at LGB, whereas UA/Ted fly this route non-stop. Ted was founded by UA to compete mainly with F9 and to a lesser extent, WN. When Ted was founded, the only routes they operated that didn't directly compete with F9 was LAX-LAS, SFO-PHX and SFO-LAS.

DL/Song, however, competes much more with B6. They compete directly every route out of JFK Song flies except ATL, and they also have extensive service out of BOS, which B6 also just began serving. In fact, DL/Song were successful in driving B6 out of ATL.

What the majors used to do to force out any competition was to flood any market directly competed with more flights and cheaper service. They could do this by raising fares on other routes where there was no competition and wait for the interloper to run out of money and back off. Now, they can no longer do this because of the after-effects of 9/11 and the subsequent travel slowdown, the SARS outbreak last spring that cut travel on the lucrative southeast Asian routes, the Iraqi war, and rising fuel prices. In fact, the only airline of the big six carriers to post a profit in any quarter since September, 2001 was CO, and that only happened once. While B6, FL and F9 all posted profits last year (although F9 did post a loss last quarter), the six majors losses are in the millions for the quarter.

F9Fan

F9Fan

cloudy

Sun May 30, 2004 10:40 am

What the majors used to do to force out any competition was to flood any market directly competed with more flights and cheaper service.
------

They still do this, even though they can no longer afford to. This is still the major's reaction to just about every low-cost airline move except for Southwest's. After many bitter experiences, they respect Southwest now. but still try and kill off everyone else even though they don't have the money to do it.

Delta is hemoraging cash trying to drive Airtran and Jetblue out of business - a goal that is no longer viable and hasn't been for a long time.

The best strategy when being sorrounded and crushed by a boa constrictor is not to fight and try to kill the constrictor, because that just causes him to tighten his grip. The best strategy is to relax and gently push the creature down and away - or simply stretch oneself out and slip out. In a similar way, Delta could find new routes more suited to its cost structure and strengths - while reducing service on routes made unprofitable by LCC's.

But management's knee-jerk ego-drivin reaction is to fight hard and to the death. So Airtran and Jetblue, like a pair of constrictors, will keep on crushing Delta and slowly cutting off its air supply.

mark777300

Sun May 30, 2004 2:59 pm

I hate to say this, but B6's $59 fares are nothing new. I got that deal a few years back, way before Song ever came along. Whats wrong with competition? It's perfectly natural for airlines to compete with each other. I should say that it is Song that was created to kill B6, not the other way around.

AirlineFanatic

Mon May 31, 2004 1:45 am

Unlike the creation of Song - to drive JetBlue out of the NE - FL market, B6 is not trying to kill anyone off... it has simply been a by-product of a free market showing that customers prefer JetBlue.

Although it continues to be argued, with yet another quarter of data from the DOT that shows Song performing poorly in yield and loads (except LGA - which B6 is entering this fall)... Song is dying slowly.

Comments in the thread which I would comment on:

- "they copied Southwest" - We aren't in Kindergarten... JetBlue, easyjet, ryanair, virgin blue, etc. all adapted the "Southwest model" and made it unique to their market. Also, let's not forget that Southwest purchased Morris Air - which David N. helped start (which was also the first airline to offer e-tickets) which I guess WN then "copied"

- "[B6] a yapping dog that you just want to kick" I am sure Delta feels the same way about AirTran. But once again, look at DOT performance and profitability AirTran may want to kick BUT hasn't.

- "re: JFK-OAK" AA's competitive response has always been wait until a competitor enters a market that threatens their profit and they match routes, lower fares, upgauge aircraft, etc. Legend DAL-LGA/IAD/LAX... JetBlue JFK-OAK, JFK-LGB - never thought of until someone else comes in.

- "re: when they operate 400 aircraft..." There are many ways to look at the health or success of an airline, number of aircraft hasn't usually been one of them, let me know when you want to look at other indicators of health and success.

BACK ON TOPIC - JetBlue's goal is to create shareholder value, for its employees, customers and shareholders - that means keeping planes full and profitable that's how they make decisions on new routes, fares and how to deploy aircraft.

elwood64151

Mon May 31, 2004 3:51 am

If B6 is just a little yapping dog, what does that make FL? I would say a little pussy cat. Here are some YTD numbers for you through April.....

Revenue Passenger Miles
JetBlue 4,656,786
AirTran 2,654,239

Avaliable Seat Miles
JetBlue 5,707,578
AirTran 3,759,029

RPMs and ASMs are one way of comparing B6 and FL.

I prefer money.

B6 had gross earnings of just under $1,000,000,000 last year. FL had gross earnings of just over $900,000,000 Both airlines head net earnings of just over $100,000,000 (for anyone who's counting, that's approx. 10-12% of gross revenues going to net income). It looks like both airlines will acheive Major Carrier status this year (more than $1,000,000,000 in sales).

So if B6 is a yapping dog, so is FL. You're "pussy cat" would probably be F9, whose gross revenue was $615,000,000 and who had net income of around $12,600,000.

And if they're a pussy cat, I can't imagine what some of the smaller operators would be considered...
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

ont 737

Mon May 31, 2004 5:13 am

Elwood64151,

Look I was just putting things into perspective for a person who called B6 a "yapping dog". You are looking into this a bit much. I realize that my airline is relatively small for now and yes both FL and F9 are both smaller whether you are looking at either RSM, ASM, or revenue.

kieso

Mon May 31, 2004 2:13 pm

True or not, The "yapping dog" thing was great! I love that some of us have a sense of humor.. "PLEASE" keep it up!

Just remember, it's airline business. It will all change tomorrow (unless it's a Saturday or Sunday of course Big grin.

Mon May 31, 2004 3:59 pm

We(jetBlue) are not trying to kill off Song and Ted, they are killing themselves off. We are just assisting them with helping them get into their graves a little ahead of schedule. Hahaha.....

Oh and you think jetBlue has customers now, just wait till next August when we get the EMB-190. You ain't seen nothing yet....

AA777MIA

Mon May 31, 2004 8:21 pm

Yup, stand back when the E190 comes, cause there will be no stopping us...

gkirk

Mon May 31, 2004 10:35 pm

Dont you love all this squabbling on a.net about how Airline A is better than Airline B, and airline C is better than A and B put together  Nuts  Big thumbs up
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

ual777contrail

Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:21 am

LGB PHOTOS,
You guys will never kill off a major, and you guys will always be a minor.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

gkirk

Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:46 am

"You guys will never kill off a major, and you guys will always be a minor."

Right, they'll just do that by themselves eh?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

jetbluefan1

Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:08 am

You guys will never kill off a major, and you guys will always be a minor.

Always be a minor? You may want to rethink that...revenue wise, JetBlue will no doubt be a major by the end of the year.

And JetBlue will never kill of a major? They've had a pretty good start, yet it's not their intention to kill anyone off except airlines-within-airlines.

JetBluefan1

erikwilliam

Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:16 am

Hey guys, U all have good points, but my question is:Isn´t Jetblue(maybe) opening new routes with lower fares, so they can use their new EMB-190´s next year??My thought is, hey put lower fares with the A-320´s, then change to EMB-190´s with cheaper maintenace, better load factor(in %) and can put the A-320 on other more competitive or better financially markets and get more $$.
What U guys think??It can work.....

Have a nice evening
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:57 am

The A320s will mostly be used for long haul(coast to coast) while the EMB-190 is going to be used for short haul(JFK-CLT) for example.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL
Also we are hardly a minor if you look at our revenue and also you( I am assuming you work for UA) are killing yourself by operating TED. I also said that We(jetBlue) are not trying to kill off Song and Ted, they are killing themselves off. We are just assisting them with helping them get into their graves a little ahead of schedule. Hahaha..... not that we were killing off UA or DL. Get your facts straight before you embarrase yourself and UA. BTW for the full 2003 year, operating revenues totaled $998.4 million so I can hardly call that minor. Oh and yes all of the majors will be in trouble late next year with our expansion. They won't know what hit them. How many people did UA layoff after 9/11 and in how bad of a shape is UA?? Huh.....thought so

kieso

Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:01 pm

I think Jetblue will kill themselves off when they find out what Airtran had to learn the hard way! Regional aircraft ARE NOT low cost aircraft. Plus, they're buying aircraft that has never been tested by an airline before. They could be junk like the aircraft Atlantic Southeast bought during the 1996 Olympics. Those planes almost put ASA out of business!

Good luck..
Jetblue's going to need it!

ATL2CDG

Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:04 pm

JetBluefan1:

It's called capitalism.
Ignorantia juris neminem excusat.

jetbluefan1

Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:46 am

Regional aircraft ARE NOT low cost aircraft.

AirTran did this with 50-seater aircraft, thus taking in less revenue that JetBlue's E-190's, and if I remember correctly, doesn't another carrier operate it for them? I also would not worry about them being the launch customer; Embraer has a great reputation.

JetBluefan1

fallout01

Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:14 am

"Song" and "Ted" deserve to die...stupid airline names SHOULD NOT be allowed the opportunity to breed! God only knows what they might spawn in a merger...

"Ginger and Fred?"

Still, JetBlue is a silly name...but I'd rather have a silly name kill off two stupid ones anyday...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos