UAPilot7
Topic Author

What Happens To An Airport When Theres A Crash?

Sat Feb 12, 2000 6:47 am

When an airplane crashes near or at an airport, such as COS and United 585 (just an example). What happens? Is the airport closed down?

Ilyushin96M

RE: What Happens To An Airport When Theres A Carsh?

Sat Feb 12, 2000 7:58 am

When Delta 191 (Lockheed L1011) crashed at DFW in 1985, the tower radioed all the aircraft on approach or in a holding pattern: "Nobody is to land at the airport. We've just had a crash. Everybody go around." However, when Delta 1109 (?) (727-200) crashed on take-off in the late '80s, the airport was not closed to departing traffic as I recall. I think it depends on the conditions at the airport. DL191 was weather-related, so there was definitely a hazard to aircraft landing because of the windshear. DL1109 crashed because its flaps were not properly configured for take-off.

Some crashed or accidents have resulted in blocked runways or other parts of the airport, so certainly those areas would have to be closed off, but I am unaware of any specific set procedure in the event of a crash.

RE: What Happens To An Airport When Theres A Carsh?

Sat Feb 12, 2000 8:17 am

I doubt they said 'Nobody is to land at the airport. We've just had a crash. Everybody go around." First the nobody is to land that might be true, but the everybody go around makes me think that this is what you expect to happen but airliners can not do a go around they have to do a missed approach which takes more work anf flies them much farther away from the airport you can you imagen 20 airliners in a pattern reporting the turns!
Iain

Tom in NO

RE: Viewpoint From Someone Who's Been There

Sat Feb 12, 2000 9:32 am

Working at MSY in an operational capacity for almost 13 years, I've experienced a number of incidents in which some have, and some have not, caused the airport to shut down.

The first was a Continental Express Jetstream that crashed after takeoff, and wound up about 2,000' off the departure end of our rwy 19. At the time of the incident, the airport was totally closed down for a few minutes, in order to give the ARFF vehicles free clearance to reach the crash site. The airport's east/west runway was opened after a short while, while 1/19 was reopened....I think it was after the NTSB got here either late that night or early the next morning.

A couple of years ago, a Champion Air 727 ran off rwy 28 in a driving rainstorm while rolling out on landing. That runway was closed at that time, and up until the 727 was removed (it took 2 days), while 1/19 stayed open.

I would think that the medium-size and smaller airports would probably at least curtail operations, until such time as the determination had been made that it could reopen. Airplanes that were cicling obviously would understand the need to go to their alternate, and wait for reopening.

As for the larger airports, or more spread out airports, DFW, MCO, DIA, etc, it would most likely be a judgement call at the time, with ,of course, the primary determination being safety of the aircraft involved.

The other thing to consider when deciding whether or not to close the airport would be the availability of ARFF equipment to provide service in other areas of the airport should they be needed.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Ilyushin96M

Iainhol

Sun Feb 13, 2000 12:51 am

Yeah, DFW controllers DID say exactly that...it was on the recording released just after the crash of DL191. Of course, flights needing to land immediately because of low fuel would be diverted, I should think.

RE: Iainhol

Sun Feb 13, 2000 2:07 am

You can not have airliners flying in the pattern at 1000 feet. They are too large they will be vectored of some where else.
Iain

mirage

RE: Iainhol

Sun Feb 13, 2000 3:38 am

I agree with Iain, it's not possible to say to all the aircrafts on approach "go around", can you imagine the mess? The ATC must give vectors and clear instructions to every single aircraft.
Where is that record available?

Aircanada

What's Arff Equipment?

Sun Feb 13, 2000 5:53 am

The topic says it.

Andrew.

Tom in NO

RE: Arff Defined

Sun Feb 13, 2000 6:22 am

ARFF is the anagram or abbreviation for Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting equipment. It used to be known in the US as CFR or Crash Fire Rescue.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina