Southamerica

AeroRepublica Colombia Going Strong!

Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:22 am

Even though I stated part of this info on another recent thread,I thought it was worth opening a whole new topic as both interest and public leaning towards Colombian aviation seems to be growing.

The company, as mentioned earlier, is opting for several changes for the upcoming season, and for the rest of the year:

• Starting June 17, the company will start operating one daily flight on the MDE-CTG-MDE both ways. The flight is already bookable.

• Starting June 17, the company will re-launch the BOG-PEI-BOG with two daily flights. The company additionally operates 3 weekly service from PEI.

• The company has several full vacation packages for this mid-year season. They will operate the correspondant charter flights with their own metal. Destinations include Jamaica, Margarita Islands and Aruba.

• The company expects to introduce two more leased MD-8Xs to the fleet by the end of the year.

• I know questions about the so-expected international services will most probably pop-up. The CEO has remained kind of silent in this matter; nevertheless, I've heard from certain personal sources that they are working hard to at least start ops to UIO and CCS soon enough. I anyone has insights in the subjetc they would be very appreciated.

I would also like to share, in case you haven't seen it by know, an article/interview published on a national newspaper.

The article basically talks about figures that show AeroRepublica's growth, and they include an interview with the company's president Alfonso Avila.

More info on the following link:

http://www.elcolombiano.terra.com.co/BancoConocimiento/A/aerorepublica_renueva_su_flota_y_gana_participacion/aerorepublica_renueva_su_flota_y_gana_participacion.asp?CodSeccion=53

Any comments/replies/recommendations/corrections whatsoever are totally welcomed.

SOUTHAMERICA

Southamerica

RE: AeroRepublica Colombia Going Strong!

Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:38 am

Hmmm, something went wrong with the post...

Anyway, I'm sure those interested will get the idea.

SOUTHAMERICA

flyinfroggie

Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:08 am

You may want to break up that long link... I think it's causing the strange wrapping.

Southamerica

Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:44 am

Yeah, I thought so, but, pardon my ignorance, how can I do it?

SOUTHAMERICA

komododx

Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:08 pm

SOUTHAMERICA

Well since I couldn't read much about their Int'l plans... what are they? When will they start their long awaited MCO service? What about plans to MIA/FLL or other Int'l destinations?

KdX in TLH
    I'm homeless and unemployed

717fan

Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:53 pm

How many MD-80's they have actually? Any DC-9 left?
    Thanks

komododx

Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:47 pm

@717fan

According to their website they do operate DC-9s... although I thought they were now just a mix of different MD-8Xs. It's funny how they mention SAS as an operator of the MD-8X family as a sign of reliability. Not that they are not reliable, just curious as to why specifically they mention SAS.

Go to http://www.aerorepublica.com.co then go to "Conozcanos" and then to "Nuestro Equipo."

KdX in TLH
    I'm homeless and unemployed

av757

Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:19 pm

3 of their MD-80´s were ex SAS, so I guess they are patronizing the idea that the fleet is maintained and operated using SAS philosophy making it a very reliable concept for public image.

I know that they are having certification problems in U.S.A. with the FAA, even though they had an approved flight route to MCO, and last september they got MIA from CLO and BAQ (ex ACES routes), and last march BOG-CCS-MIA. They have not been able to get OPSPECS from the FAA. for operation to the U.S.

AV757

Southamerica

Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:50 am

There's one DC-9 left in the fleet. The rest of it is made of pure Mad Dog metal.  Big grin

SOUTHAMERICA

latinaviation

Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:54 am

Federico,

Related to Avianca, I just read the the Brazilian Synergy Group beat CO/CM in a bankruptcy bidding war for control on AV. I'll see if any articles have been issued.

Southamerica

Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:05 am

LatinAviation,

In case you haven't noticed it already, there's a thread wandering around titled "Brazilian Buys Avianca" in which you'll find more info.

In any case, the company did select the Brazilian bid over CO/CM's proposal.

SOUTHAMERICA