777ER
Crew
Topic Author

AA And Boeing To Pay FAA Fine Of $3.3 Million

Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:54 pm

"American Airlines and Boeing Corp. have agreed to pay more than $3.3 million in fines for violating federal aviation regulations, Boeing paid a civil penalty of $824,800 for its alleged failure to maintain its quality control system for production of its 737, 747, 767 and 777 jets from October 1998 to April 2002."

http://www.indystar.com/articles/3/151533-4563-031.html
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

RE: AA And Boeing To Pay FAA Fine Of $3.3 Million

Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:12 pm

"Boeing paid a civil penalty of $824,800 for its alleged failure to maintain its quality control system for production of its 737, 747, 767 and 777 jets from October 1998 to April 2002."

This is why Lufthansa sent mechanicans to controll the production of their planes.

acidradio
Crew

Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:42 pm

This is why Lufthansa sent mechanicans to controll the production of their planes.

This logic goes along the lines of me going to the factory and riding along with the chassis of the car that I am buying and bringing my own torque wrench  Big grin (well, actually, I know a guy who did that, but he was a factory line worker at Ford so he could pull that off...).

Isn't the plane you buy supposed to be in top shape WHEN YOU BUY IT? Uh oh, I may have accidentally started an A vs. B war.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

Cubsrule

Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:56 pm

Comparing $824,800 to the price of one of those planes makes me think that the alleged violations were not too serious.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

LMP737

Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:19 am

Stefandote:

What exactly are "mechanicans"?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

RIX

Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:32 am

"What exactly are "mechanicans"?" - come on, English is not his native language, and we understood pretty well what he said... I don't think this was fair.

However, his quoting skills are perfect - look at his post signature. What is its purpose, Stefan? Whoever "reopened" those or whatever else chambers is not visiting this forum. Want other Americans here "to feel ashamed"? Not fair either (at best) plus, you know, generally speaking, there are plenty of things (in history) to make personally you to feel really ashamed (using same "collective responsibility" approach)... should we escalate this nonsense?

As for LH guys to control Boeing production - never heard of it (please, tell me more) but, AFAIK, BA had some problems with Boeing aircraft quality, so either they were visiting Boeing, or Boeing engineers had to do something on already delivered aircraft... In general, these things happen, up to product recall (had happened, say, to Mercedes), so, by itself, it hardly deserves any attention...

geoffm

Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:43 am

Just to point out the fact that the quote was "failure to maintain its quality control SYSTEM" (my emphasis). That doesn't mean to say the planes are dodgy, only the paperwork (allegedly). Big difference.

Geoff M.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos