727LOVER
Topic Author

Incredible! John Kerry Flew PIE-TPA

Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:18 pm

I heard that he was in St. Petersburg yesterday, and that he had an event at USF today. I was wondering if he would drive over or fly.

Well, here's the answer:

Airline Transmeridian Airlines
Flight Number 711
Departure City (Airport) Saint Petersburg, FL (PIE)
Departure Time 06/01/2004 08:31 PM
Arrival City (Airport) Tampa, FL (TPA)
Arrival Time 06/01/2004 08:33 PM
Remaining Flight Time 00:00
Aircraft Type Boeing 757-200
Current Altitude 0 feet
Current Groundspeed 0 mph
Flight Status Arrived

Airline Transmeridian Airlines
Flight Number 711
Departure City (Airport) West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
Departure Time 06/01/2004 06:16 PM
Arrival City (Airport) Saint Petersburg, FL (PIE)
Arrival Time 06/01/2004 06:55 PM
Remaining Flight Time 00:00
Aircraft Type Boeing 757-200
Current Altitude 0 feet
Current Groundspeed 0 mph
Flight Status Arrived

Departure times are shown in departure airport local time.
Arrival times are shown in arrival airport local time.

A WHOPPING 2 MINUTES!!!!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!

I'm curious, would they have even retracted the gear?  Laugh out loud

[Edited 2004-06-02 15:20:16]
Love Trumps Hate

FoxBravo

RE: Incredible! John Kerry Flew PIE-TPA

Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:40 pm

That doesn't necessarily mean that HE flew from PIE to TPA. It's quite possible that the plane was repositioned in order to speed his departure today. Then again, maybe he just doesn't like traffic.  Smile
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

tcttx

Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:42 pm

Back on that fateful day in 1963, JFK flew FTW-DAL.

phatfarmlines

Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:45 pm

I think the process of getting back on the plane, then taxiing, then flying for two minutes, then taxiing to hardstand, then disembarking, would involve more time than crossing the Howard Franklin. I would go w/ FoxBravo's assumption that this aircraft was repositioning.

luv2fly

Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:51 pm

Also it is not like he has the hassle of dealing with the TSA when he flies, like the rest of us.
You can cut the irony with a knife

mozart

Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:56 pm

Oh so he doesn't have to deal with the TSA when he flies? Funny, I thought they would do their procedures on everyone - at least they did it to the Crown Prince of Spain the other day in Miami.

FoxBravo

Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:09 am

There is a difference--the prince was taking a scheduled flight, with other passengers on it, whereas Kerry's flights are private charters. When you charter a plane yourself, and no one else is being put at risk, you can carry an AK-47, a machete, or whatever the hell else you want--but that is obviously not the case on a scheduled flight, no matter who you are. Do I think what the TSA did to the prince was right? I don't know--I wasn't there. But I do know that it's totally irrelevant to this discussion.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

luv2fly

Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:15 am

Thank you for that info FoxBravo and I could not say it better myself.
You can cut the irony with a knife

tristarenvy

Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:21 am

He shoulda just used the Courtney Campbell. Too bad all those "fun" places on the Tampa side are all gone. Joe Redner could have rolled out the welcome mat!

If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

TLHFLA

Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:37 am

It would have been neat to watch the 757 from the PIE control tower (the entire flight would probably have been visible). I was in that area this past weekend and I noticed that the planes were landing from the north and taking off to the south. My guess is that the plane took off to the north, took a right over Safety Harbor, then across to TPA, landing from the north.
Bill in ATL

ChiGB1973

Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:35 am

"When you charter a plane yourself, and no one else is being put at risk, you can carry an AK-47, a machete, or whatever the hell else you want--but that is obviously not the case on a scheduled flight, no matter who you are."

Not true.

A chartered plane can to some significant damage to a building too. There is always more risk than to just the flight crew and passengers.

M

levg79

Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:48 am

Everyone who goes on board the airplane must go through security clearance. The reason behind that is a story when a non-revving pilot aboard the PSA flight shot both pilots. Since that incident, everyone goes through security clearance.

http://www.airdisaster.com/special/special-pa1771.shtml
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.

Benjamin

Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:14 am

Everyone who goes on board the airplane must go through security clearance. The reason behind that is a story when a non-revving pilot aboard the PSA flight shot both pilots. Since that incident, everyone goes through security clearance.

This is completely and utterly wrong. Two weeks ago I few a number of segments on a private Hawker (Madison, WI-MDW-DEN-LAS). At NO TIME were were screened by the TSA. They weren't even around. We were in a private charter terminal.

Dazed767

Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:28 am

You don't go through security when on a private/chartered jet from an FBO.

Justin

727LOVER
Topic Author

Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:30 am

Two weeks ago I few a number of segments on a private Hawker (Madison, WI-MDW-DEN-LAS). At NO TIME were were screened by the TSA. They weren't even around. We were in a private charter terminal.

Then who is to stop you from killing the pilot, then climb in the seat yourself and fly it into a crowd of people,building, another aircraft......  Confused

Kerry plane..

you're right, I hadn't considered a repositioning.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Love Trumps Hate

Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:34 am

The reason why we all go thru security clearance is there are a lot of perverts and assholes in the US, and they need jobs too, so we make them security screeners, so they can feel you up and give everyone a hard time. Since this is the land of opportunity for all, everyone goes through security clearance.  Insane

B

PITrules

Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:39 am

Transmeridian is a Part 121 carrier, doing these charters for profit (a commercial air carrier). I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the same security procedures apply here as in other 121 flights, scheduled or charter.
FLYi

BostonGuy

Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:41 am

Knowing Kerry I bet he flew and made the wife take the Howard Franklin.

sprxflySWA

Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:56 am

For one, wasn't the PSA/USAir ex-employee a flight attendant?
Secondly, QX flight crews at one PNW city were not required to go thru security enroute to their aircraft until within the last 8 months. They are now, though.

I have heard about some college football charters where they screened the players/coaches,etc. And here in BOISE, these were handled out at a local FBO, and I think the airline, Champion Air,flew in their own TSA folks and equip.,but am not sure.

7e72004

Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:40 am

a little off the subject but is there a certain routine that planes have to use when landing at pie or tpa? can they land two planes at the same time (considering the airports are only across the bay area)?
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

Continental

Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:49 am

How the hell could it takeoff, take a left turn and land within 2 minutes? That has to be wrong!

727LOVER
Topic Author

Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:18 am

a little off the subject but is there a certain routine that planes have to use when landing at pie or tpa? can they land two planes at the same time (considering the airports are only across the bay area)?

Absolutely. Remember the airports are a good 10 miles apart.

How the hell could it takeoff, take a left turn and land within 2 minutes? That has to be wrong!

If TLH's scenario is correct, a 3 to 5 minute flight is probable.

If he took off to the south, and had to land from the north, he would have to loop around the west side of PIE, then around the north side heading east to join the TPA flight path. I'm just curious at what point did PIE tower hand to TPA approach. Would they have gone to TPA approach or straight to tower?

Nuts confusing!
Love Trumps Hate

milesrich

Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:23 am

JFK did not depart Ft. Worth for Dallas from Meacham Field on 11/22/63. Ship 26000, a B-707-353B, departed Ft. Worth from Carswell AFB, then a B-58 Base, and home to the Convair Factory that built the B-32, B-36, B-58, and later the F-16, and flew to DAL. It's a lot further, close to 35 or 40 miles from Carswell to Love Field.

F9Fan

Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:19 pm

Since Senator Kerry is a bona-fide presidential candidate, his security is handled by the Secret Service. They are responsible for providing security on Kerry's charter flights. If you thought the TSA was strict with security, you haven't seen anything until you try to get anywhere near President Bush or Senator Kerry. You have to go through a full background investigation before the Secret Service will even think of letting you on the plane. Also, they will hand-search EVERYTHING in your possession. If it is electronic, they will ask for a demonstration. If you have a camera, they will take your picture with it to make sure it isn't a gun in disguise. A lot of senior staff at the TSA came from the Secret Service. That is how the TSA got to be so thorough at the start.

It is possible that the Secret Service could have recommended he fly from PIE to TPA for security reasons. If they do the same thing with Senator Kerry's motorcade as they did with President Bush's motorcade, it would have been a mess. They would have closed down both directions of any highway he would use, and even prevent any traffic from crossing the motorcade route, too. I saw this yesterday with President Bush here in Denver. A co-worker got stuck for 30 minutes before they would let him cross the street, and he was first in line, too.

F9Fan

j_hallgren

Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:35 pm

Tristarenvy: Just cause the Tanga is gone doesn't mean TPA has no fun! As you probably know, Joe R is still doing a decent business with the Mons Venus and other places...and a few bucks (ok, $20) will get you a GREAT view of various "cockpits"  Smile

I went only twice...had a fun time!

And flying might be a way to avoid closing more roads than needed...

COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

kbuf737

Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:13 pm

Would he have contacted departure, or gone right to Tampa tower?

Big S turn too, saying that 35 was used at PIE and 36L at TPA.

Fly High, Fly Proud.

-KBUF737
The tower? Rapunzel!!!!!!

UPS Pilot

WHY?

Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:23 pm

Why would he do this? First off landing fees are less at PIE than at TPA. Second why would he or should we say his campaign pay for 2 landing fees for a 15 minute drive? Third, why would they burn all that fuel for a 3 to 5 minute flight? The taxi, takeoff landing and taxi with startup and shutdown would have taken longer than the drive!!!

Repositioning just doesn't make any financial sense. Logistically it doesn't either since TPA is quite a bit busier than PIE and I'm sure he would experience longer ground times at TPA.

SlamClick

Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:42 pm

Re: PSA 1771

The person who did the shooting was not a pilot and was not a flight attendant. I believe he was a lower end manager in either customer service or ramp agent departments. He was not a PSA employee he had been a USAir employee. This was pre-merger.

The writeup linked by Levg79 contains a number of factual errors. The crash had zero to do with the demise of PSA. The merger had been announced roughly a year before this event.

Back to thread topic. Single-entity charters may still have security requirements similar to scheduled flights. And - where was Kerry's plane needed next? Would not make much difference if he was on board or not if it had to be positioned at TPA for its next departure.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.