AirframeAS
Topic Author

Proposed TSA Improvements

Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:12 pm

You guys have got to see this article. I guess talk is cheap, but actions speak louder. I'll believe Tom Ridge when the changes actually take effect (if they ever do...) and actually works correctly.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2004-06-03-airport-security_x.htm?csp=28

Any comments are welcomed......
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

hirisk

RE: Proposed TSA Improvements

Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:18 am

the only way to improve it is to get rid of it and start over
happy contrails

ckfred

Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:21 am

Part of the problem is that TSA and dates that it had to carry out specific functions were mandated by Congress with no specific reasoning.

The thinking was that federal employees would do a better job than screeners employed by security companies. Why? I'm a lawyer, and the security people that conduct screening of visitors going into the federal buildings in downtown Chicago aren't deputy U.S. Marshalls. They are employees of a private company that is hired and supervised by the U.S. Marhshall's Office in Chicago. A lot of them are former police officers, MPs, or other law enforcement agents, and a number of them carry firearms.

Granted, in Chicago, besides terrorism, security is designed to keep prisoners from escaping and members of gangs and organized crime from turning courtrooms into shooting galleries. But if the U.S. Marshall feels comfortable with non-federal personnel keeping buildings secure, maybe aviation security can be handled in a similar fashion.

I don't blame TSA for all of its problems, although it comes up with some goofy ideas. Congress gets a lot of the blame.

After Pan Am 103 blew up, the British government decided to upgrade aviation security. It took 4 years to get to a level that officials felt was good, and another 2 to 3 years to get to a level that officials felt could truly thwart almost any attempt to carry out a terror or other criminal act. That's 6 to 7 years of planning, testing, and refining policies and systems.

Congress wanted this done in 15 months, because it wanted to minimize the risk of another attack. If that's the case, Congress should have thought about this back in the late 80s or early 90s.

AirframeAS
Topic Author

Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:18 am

Put law enforcement and retired law enforcement at the security checkpoints. Those guys would be the TRUE winners of aviation security, IMO.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Blackbird1331

Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:54 am

It would be nice to see men and women who want to serve this country in a way that truly serves the citizens of this country instead of those citizens of other countries who do not even care for themselves. 350,000 US citizens and close to a billion dollars spent in Iraq alone and we do not even come close to feeling safe. Ask yourself, how much have you spent on personal and family/home security since 9/11? Multiply that by what number? Ridiculous to think that TSA is going to save us.

Turn that country over to their strongest leaders and let them fend for themselves, unless they ask for our help, and let us accept the
consequences. Bring the kids home and let them work here to rid the scum of the earth from our soil.

We can continue to work with, and aid , our allies without exhausting our resourses and burying our children in debt, if not in their graves.

Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

Boeing Nut

Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:00 am

TSA Improvements

Now there's an oxy moron statement if there ever was one.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.