mirrodie

American Was Smart to Install AED's On Its Fleet!

Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:55 am

An article in the June 2004 Business and Commercial Aviation Magazine mentioned that since installing Automatic External Defibrillators (AED's) on its fleet, AA has helped save 50 lives.

To date, AA reports that 89 AED events were administered where a shock was delivered. 39 people died, giving AA a 56 % survival rate of heart attack.

The US national heart attack survival rate is only about 22 %.

Great job to those at AA! Regardless of what many say, they are a great outfit overall.

-M
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

gigneil

Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:08 am

AED's are amazing devices. They really should be present in more places.

We have them here at work, at least one on every floor or in major rooms.

N

n757kw

Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:18 am

Atlanta International Airport ( I am leaving out the names) has AEDs installed in the concourses.

If I remember correctly I think some DL aircraft have AEDs, but I could be wrong.

They are great devices for heart attack victims.

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

146crew

Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:23 am

All U.S. Airlines were required to have them installed sometime in early April (I think the compliance date was April 11. I agree, they are great devices. They are very easy to use, and it is virtually imposible to screw up using one. If the AED does not sense a shock is needed, it won't shock the victim even if the shock button is pressed!!
Cross check complete.

canoecarrier

RE: American Was Smart To Install AED's On Its Fleet!

Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:05 am

I was just going to say what 146crew said, it is mandatory to have them in a US commercial airliner at this point. I'm not exactly sure, but most likely it carries over to airports as well. Every one of the airports I've flown to in the past 4 or 5 months have them available everywhere.

The beatings will continue until morale improves

tcfc424

Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:41 am

As an EMT, I have seen these devices save lives many times, including one patient I worked while working in the ER at Brackenridge Hospital here in Austin that had been revived at the Austin Airport with an AED.

As for the comment about the AED being virtually impossible to screw up...well, there is one case where that is not always true. The device COULD (most people have enough common sense not to) but COULD shock a conscious person if the heart rhythm (V-Tach---Ventricular Tachycardia) is detected. In most cases, this victim is in dire straights, however, there are a few people that live and function (walking, talking, etc.) that live with this condition.

Sorry for the digression, great machines, great job to the airlines and airports that have these life-saving devices installed.

qqflyboy

Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:19 am

Mirrodie does well to give AA credit as they were the first airline to install AEDs on their aircraft. All AA aircraft were equipped with them in the late 90s.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

AAR90

Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:36 am

Mirrodie does well to give AA credit as they were the first airline to install AEDs on their aircraft. All AA aircraft were equipped with them in the late 90s.

Wow, a compliment... Thanks Mirrodie!  Big thumbs up I remember well the ongoing internal debate about the huge expense AA was taking on at the time when there was no government requirement for AED's. Haven't heard a negative comment in a very long time. Especially after two "saves" were made in the terminal buildings by FA's getting an AED from nearby AA aircraft. That prompted AA to install AED's in its terminal spaces as well. Again, well before any government requirement(s).  Big thumbs up
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

ha763

Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:20 am

AA was the first to carry AEDs on their aircraft, but AQ was the first to have them on all their aircraft. AQ's fleet was only around 20 aircraft, but it still was a major investment for such a small airline. Once news of a life being saved by an AED on board an aircraft broke, all airlines basically started to install them on their aircraft and were in compliance well before the mandatory compliance date.

BTW, I also believe HA has donated their older AEDs to HNL for use in the terminals. I also know of an incident in which a HA FA brought out an AED from the aircraft for use on a pax who collapsed in the interisland possibly saving his life.