terminal688

BBC "Airport"

Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:01 pm

G'day recently in March on the topic of BBC "airport" series
was very
interesting to know how many people did watch the series.
And here we
back once again in the forum regarding the series.

Because im base in australia i can not fine out any news about if there will be a new series of Airport for this year 2004' Here in australia on the Pay-tv channel call (FOXTEL) they show the series of Airport on (lifestyle channel) every weeknights from 11pm EAST' but the shows are keep repeating them all.. Not too sure if it was made produce in the year 2000-01.

Could anyone knows any information regarding this series and that if they have a website or how to fine them all the series on dvd. Because there is no way to search for it.. i have to record the series on video but wouldnt had mind have em all on dvd since Video machine players are getting old know since new technology arrives with DVD recorders.

There was another series call airline or airliner another UK series i think.. and that well for my point of view i didnt like that series at all... as someone in the past forum said that he didnt like it because all they show is easyjetand wedding bells on board.. But *airport* series is much greater.. and very funny too at times specialy the young chub name Jeremy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Let us your say about the series.

cx123

RE: BBC "Airport"

Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:20 pm

I just watched an eposide last night on Fox and Jeremy (the Customer Service Officer) who works for SU ( I think) ran around the airport.

Does anyone know can we get DVD versions of the Airport or similar shows ( really enjoyed it) There was on on HKG airport (in Chinese) which they showed on the CX flights!! really interesting!!

aa61hvy

Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:22 pm

I really like the show, I try to watch it when I'm home.
Go big or go home

peteinmiami

Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:25 pm

I love the show, A&E is running it in America every Monday night at 10:30pm

terminal688

Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:08 pm

Just an update for Australia viewrs. the series of "Airport" will be shown on channel 9 network. Recently we found out that ch9 has the contract for the series comming up in the summer term. We can not confirm that it will be a repeat of new series of Airport. One thing is that they will show the last 2 series before starting them all again.

Will should let use knows when news arrives or identily give us your say about the show.

thomasphoto60

Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:40 pm

Peteinmiami,

Actually what A&E is currently running in the US at the moment are repeats of 'Airline' as well as 'Airline UK'. Airport is a slightly different series.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

Qantasflyer

Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:46 pm

Love that show, watch it every night on FOXTEL!

regards
Qantasflyer That's the spirit. The Spirit of Australia!

Airplanepics

Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:49 pm

Unfortunatly its not yet available on DVD.

And Jeremy Spake who worked for SU, left the show years ago! Maybe the second series.

There will be a new series in the UK later on this year, and I cant wait Big grin
Simon - London-Aviation.com

Jaspike

Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:56 pm

When I emailed the BBC ages ago asking about the new series, I think they said there'd be a new Airport website too Big grin
Watch this space: http://www.bbc.co.uk/airport Big grin

Tom

terminal688

Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:25 pm

Great stuff.. well i really do hope that the series of airport will be back with new episodes... and that well australia only have shown the airport series from BBC for the frst time on network australia in 2001 just 15 series or more in the past 2001 and know but all of them are all repeats and i dont think ive seen any new once yet. i most think that it is made in 99-2000-2001 the once they shown here in australia.. with never the less i just love Jeremey.. thanks to the person who said he dosnt work at the airport anymore... i gues we are watching old series from 2000-01

By the way i love the introduction music from when it starts and ends  Big grin cheers

terminal688

Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:49 pm

One ather thing i must say is that there was one episode of when the cameras focus more at Jeremy for the day at the airport when he had to fly away to (unown) airline to Russia - Msocow for a 24hour visit.. while he was complete funny that i lough all the way.. When he sat on the frst business class he did a demonstation on all the wines while he was in mid air and one them was (ooohh very morries very morries) and aswell the warm towls he just went crazy on them.. what about at the final end of the programe when he tried to seat somewhere els on board of course first business class when he peacefully rest there just like a bed and told the camera grew... (can you pick me up next week this is soooo relaxing i would rather stay in this chair bed on frst business class for a while.. cheers

well thats the funny part of the series and of course there is so many more there but Jeremy is the funnier one of all and of course there was athers who where too good.. If you remember that part of the programe then u know what im tlaking about. cheers  Big grin  Smile/happy/getting dizzy)

Horus

Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:46 pm

Two weeks ago I went to the Heathrow Visitor Centre Aviation Fair and over there was a policewomen who is on the show (not sure of her name). Anyway she said that there will be another series coming out later this year but she won't be in it. When I asked her why, she said that producers thought her storylines were depressing, and prefferred to have Maria (from Cyprus Airways).

Horus
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

terminal688

Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:40 pm

yep i know the police lady who works there she is great isnt her?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy pitty she wont be on to the new series but i wonder who will they all be. bahaps new people or the same folks.

cheers

Arsenal@LHR

Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:45 pm

In the last two series the programme focused on Aeroflot, Gulf Air and Cyprus Airways, this time let's hope they follow another interesting set of airlines.
In Arsene we trust!!

terminal688

Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:53 pm

yes thats right. well i wouldnt mind seen the new series of airport on more international planes such as Iberia. qantas and so on.. but i suppose that they only chase the folks who works on that area at the airport and thats upto the crew.. finaly i wouldnt mind take the job for the crew of the series.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

ZKSUJ

Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:38 pm

Great show, I used to watch it every monday when it was on tv. Sadly they took it off NZ tv as it was probably not popular with most NZ public (i'm assuming).
Anyone watched "taking off" the story of Pacific Blue's start up?

ZKSUJ

bhxforever

Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:36 am

Terminal688, Airport did do a series which featured Qantas, with some guy called John I think it was?

L1011aaron

Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:51 am

I like the two episodes which follow LH A300 flights between LHR and AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA.

Airlines featured so far:
British airways
Virgin
Aer Lingus
Aeroflot
Cyprus Airways
Icelandair
United Airlines
British Midland
Lufthansa
Ghana Airways

VS11

Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:08 am

For the US residents, this show is on the Discovery Wings channel. Every so often they make a weekend marathon, when they will show Airport all weekend.

I like the show but sometimes it gets a bit boring. It is interesting as it shows all kinds of operations in an airport, particularly LHR which is very exciting, but often it is too documentary and fragmented. They need to spicy it up a bit. Well, I guess after working at an airport, I need higher dosage of the whole hoop-la.

Regards,
VS11

yulguy

Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:16 am

Hi VS11, there's no need to spice "Airport" up. That's why you guys have that "Airliner" show on A&E about SouthWest. I don't think that there are enough mouthbreathers in the UK for there to be a show that, ahem, interesting.
For residents here in Quebec, you can watch "Airport" on Canal Évasion. I don't know what channel it is on in English Canada.
"Celui qui diffère de moi, loin de me léser, m'enrichit." - Saint-Exupéry

VS11

Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:25 am

YULGUY,

Airport and Airline are very different in scope. Airport has much more stuff to show as airport operations are more complex so you can have more material to work with.

By spicing it up, I mean that rather than narrating (or just communicating) the issue(s) at hand, they could be recreating them so the viewer can really experience the range of emotions happening. Sometimes they do that on Airport but they could do more of it.

Regards,
VS11

terminal688

Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:31 am

to L1011aaron
Yes they did a quick tour of Qantas once or more on the series of airport'' I do not remember if his name was john' but i could fine it out for you on my VHS recorded collections soon' Watch this space.

the Airliner series for my point of view it wasnt that apearling and that awfull introduction music was as bad. the series are okies but i would stick on with Airport instead' it shows the same folks specialy the famour media with familiar British nown faces who works day and night at the airport when they are on alert call'

Never the less i found an article of Jeremy but dosnt have anugh much to read on but tells how Jeremy is doing before and after the series but i lost the site' will inform use all soon.
cheers.

cx123

Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:46 pm

Can we order DVDs of either shows on the web???

terminal688

Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:25 am

To Cx123

Its been told here before and in the preview months regarding the same decuss of Airport from BBC. they dont have them on DVD nor a website just yet  Sad behaps they did but its hard to fine els where.. I phone programing for channel 9 network that is airport comming back on tv.. they said there is no plans as yet but they have the contract for the document series sometime late summer time or late in the year. they are planing of showing the new series before putting the 2 last seires of airport. So check this space and channel 9 times soon.
cheers

terminal688

Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:28 am

my apologies there... ch9 network will show the new series of airport late in the year. after that they will be putting the 2 episode series of airport from 2000. do not know how many episodes ethere are but i resumme there is more then 20 of them.
cheers

Propulsion

Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:09 am

I thought this was a very good programme. Although its quality and title music progressively deteriorated over time, I still think it is extremely good and much better than many other a useless BBC programme funded by the TV tax known as the so-called 'TV License' in the UK.

One of the highlights was the epsiode in which Aeroflot's new Boeing 777 came to Heathrow for the first time!
A bus is a vehicle that runs twice as fast when you are after it as when you are in it.

L1011aaron

Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:49 pm

Terminal 688

Sorry i forgot Qantas. Yes 'John' took a load of travel agents round a 744 to see what they were selling.
There are 3 or 4 other Qantas episodes.
One about a 744 arriving with a passenger suffering from a heart attack.
One about the Daniel O Donell fan club going away and another and some others about checkin.

Looking through my recorded videos also:
Canadian Airlines
BWIA west indies
Pakistan International
EL AL Israeli
Saudi Arabian

tangoecho

Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:36 pm

Jeremy Spake from "Airport" was working for Eastern Airways as customer services manager last year when he came up to ABZ to see Eastern Airways staff. (Don't know if he still is though).

He also shaved his goatee beard which made him look so different. But the campness was still there though!  Big grin
Contact Aberdeen tower on 118.10 G'day.

L1011aaron

Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:43 pm

Found another one to add to the list:

Air Jamaica

cx123

Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:53 pm

Are there any airline, airport, air disaster DVD I can order @ Amazon?

terminal688

Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:57 pm

To L1011aaron no worries for that'
yes we own a at least 18 episodes so far on 2 different recorded VHS tapes of the series that has more of Jeremy . still recording the ather once.. its on weeknights 11pm on pay tv here in australia.. very shortly going to watch it  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

To Tangoecho
i would so much like to see him like that on the new next series of BBC "Airport" later in the year.. as for him Jeremy his russian i believed.

allright discuss anything more related to the series of airport.
cheers  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

tangoecho

Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:15 pm

I'm not sure if Jeremy is Russian. He maybe descended from Russia somehow, and he's fluent in Russian.

I doubt you'll see him in the new series, as he'll be based in HUY (if still working for Eastern Airways)  Smile
Contact Aberdeen tower on 118.10 G'day.

Zweed

Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:45 pm

Can anyone tell me how many season it has been running, in total

AMS

Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:49 pm

Zweed,

Airport has been there for at least 5 years running. It all started with the famous Jeremy working at LHR for SU.

The series have been quite successful in Europe and other countries.
In Holland there are some Channels like RTL4 and other commercial TV channels who broadcast Airport series,

And off course you can get the BBC on the Dutch Cable.

Regards,
AMS

terminal688

Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:17 pm

For these in New Zealand and Australia... who acceses pay-tv (FOXTEL australia) the BBC series of "airport" can be seen on the (Lifestyle channel) Digital 106ch Analogue 21ch every weeknights from 11pm EST local time australia.

Mondays to fridays all the series available for the month on foxtel... allso here is a monthly time that i found for more info of the each nights scription episode's at:
http://www.foxtel.com.au/TVGuideKeywordResults.aspx

hope this helps. cheers  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Type-Rated

Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:18 pm

Jeremy also works for the BBC as well, doing other "reality" shows such as:
"Toughest Job In Britain" and "Jailbirds" for them. I suspect what happened is that when they taped him during the original "Airport" show, they figured that they had a real live wire on their hands (he probably kept the crew cracked up the whole time!) and that he might do well doing other reality shows and probably offered him a job.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

terminal688

Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:22 pm

to Type-rated
i agree there  Smile/happy/getting dizzy well as for allways in the series of airport... Jeremy was a cracker and makes me lough  Wink/being sarcastic and im sure as you said that Jeremy cracking on with the camera crew i wouldnt had been suprise that the camera crew guy just loughted and wanted it all there on tape
cheers  Big grin

Arsenal@LHR

Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:55 am

Jeremy Spake was certainly a colourful character, i did like the easy-going way he handled passengers, his other programmes such as "Toughest job in Britain" was entertaining also.
In Arsene we trust!!

worldoftui

Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:05 am

I remember that they also featured Turkmenistan Air. Dont think it was for too long though!  Big grin

The Air Jamaica lady was nice - Marla. Didn't matter how annoyed the passengers got, she calmed em down. Inspirational!

Mark

terminal688

Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:27 am

What about the young feller who works at the animal reception somewhere at the back of the airport for pets to be delieverd by flights.
he was intersting and good... Do not remember the young lady who wears all red and works for virgin atlantic...? the one who show how she got the job in becomming a flight attendent.. well aniways Mr Ritcherd brandond was there and was telecast for the series of airport on the day for the awards to all of the males and females took the award of becomming for the very frst time a virgin atlantic attendend... if anyone knows who im talking about just give the name out...

Specialy too the media who are know nown as (familiar faces at the heathrow airport are doing a fantastic job there as they get the alert call waiting.

For Jeremy well he was a fantastic feller and yes he made the series of airport very intertaining ... with out him on there it wouldnt be posible to make the series fun and enjoy... Just yesturday was watching the part series of ariport of when Jeremy got on board and fly to Moscow for 24hour visit... in that series Jeremy was a cracker when he did some demonstration of all the wines he orded while he sat there on frst business class.. lucky devil he did  Smile/happy/getting dizzy from that series that im talking about of Jeremy what year was that film... 1999 - 2000?

best regards
Terminal688

terminal688

Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:59 pm

Does anyone knows if Airport from BBC shows new episodes every year? or every fiew years they make new once?
and how many episodes do they make a year.
cheers  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Arsenal@LHR

Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:17 pm

'Stuart' is the guy who works at the Animal reception centre, and in my opinion, this part of the show is boring.
As for the show, they are not made yearly but in series, with each series consisting of 6 to 8 episodes.

In Arsene we trust!!

Bofredrik

Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:30 am

We see it mon-fri here now. Today was it about Gulf Air and the problems they had with luggage and late passengers. Yesterday was it about drunk passengers, ofcourse a swede...

whitehatter

Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:30 am

The Air Jamaica lady was nice - Marla. Didn't matter how annoyed the passengers got, she calmed em down. Inspirational!

Marla was a superstar. Unfortunately she has sinced passed away :-(

The BBC dedicated an episode to her memory
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

worldoftui

Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:13 pm

Marla was a superstar. Unfortunately she has sinced passed away :-(

No way! That is sad. She was really nice, and had a great energy about her.

Mark

terminal688

Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:21 am

I still rememebr pretty much Riticherd brandsom who owns many companys such as virgin atlantic. virgin blue aus and so on.. his an exellenct guy.. hope he keeps these airlines alive,, and yes his been on the airport series for interviews... hope to see him more in the next new series of Airport (bbc)

767er

Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:04 am

Didn't Maria work for Air Malta?

ZK SUJ....My Mum in NZ who loves those aviation programs, thought the Pacicfic Blue did not show the airline in a good light!
Aircraft flown:F27,Viscount. EMB120, SAAB340, ATR70, 737-200.737-300,DC8, DC10,747-100,747-200,747-300,747-400, A320, A3

Jaspike

Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:25 am

Maria worked for Cyprus Airways. I think  Big grin

And there was Shaker.. he was great  Big thumbs up

Hope the new series has some good characters Big grin

Tom

terminal688

Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:10 am

Wel yes the new series of airport will be shown soon.. there has been contracts as i have found out... some networks will take the offer on showing the new series later in the year by the end of winter or summer in your naibour country.. produce by BBC. and of course made in the UK heathrew airport. would like to now if the time of the series of airport was base at the domestic or international airport area? such as Jeremy the one who allways joke about infront of the camera he was wonderfull young lad.
cheers

whitehatter

Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:26 am

Did the spinoffs ever make it on to non-UK TV?

"Hollywood's Airport" was good, set at LAX. There was also a short series done at Miami. All by the BBC Airport crew.

Terminal688 - filming was done all over LHR.

The series has always gotten good ratings in the UK, and the BBC sold it on to the UKTV network and then internationally. That's why it is now into something like its seventh year. The work of customs and police also starts featuring more as the series progresses.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...