SWAFA30
Topic Author

What If Southwest Had PTVs?

Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:58 pm

I often hear people say that when B6 and WN eventually go head to head, WN will ultimately lose because jetBlue offers a sophisticated IFE system and Southwest does not. There is no doubt that their IFE has been a huge marketing/Customer Service tool for jetBlue. However, these types of "frills" are still relatively new to the LCC experience. How important is IFE to the typical short to medium haul domestic passenger? My reason for asking? I heard a purely unsubstantiated rumor yesterday that PTVs are in the works for WN and it got me to thinking....if WN were to go ahead and spend the money to retrofit the fleet with PTVs...would it be worth the investment? Would it make WN truly competitive with B6? Would those of you who currently choose not to fly WN reconsider if PTVs were part of the equation? Would WN's large(for an LCC) route structure coupled with a more "jetBlue-like" inflight experience make them the pre-eminent LCC in the country? Your thoughts?

Cory6188

RE: What If Southwest Had PTVs?

Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:15 pm

I believe that the effect of PTV's on WN would be minimal, for the most part. In general, WN's flights are short hops, so PTV's wouldn't matter. I think the only market where they might be an influence on customers is the long transcon flights, where some form of entertainment is definitely helpful to pass the time.

leelaw

Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:29 pm

I agree with Cory6188. Moreover, doesn't WN configure at least some of its planes with certain rows facing each other (lord knows I've ridden in such seats on WN myself), would make installation of a PTV for each passenger difficult.
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

JGPH1A

Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:32 pm

I remember earlier threads about the WN "lounge" config, and recall reading that apparently this config has been phased out.

I would rather WN spent the money on implementing pre-assigned seating - for me that is a bigger advantage that B6 have over WN - web checkin with preassigned seating - marvellous combination.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

drerx7

Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:22 pm

Southwest would not ultimately lose to JetBlue because of PTVs, the actual influence of such novelties is very very small; remember-most of the flying public are not A.Net Members and flying is a mode of transportation. I believe that it will be at least 15 to 20 years before Jetblue is the size that Southwest is today--there won't be a head to head battle for some time.

The Southwest lounge seats are being phased out--they are the seats at the bulkheads midship and at the front. They are not on any -700s.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

bobnwa

Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:29 pm

Southwest would not gain anything except more expense by adding PTV's. As Drerx7 points out, the traveling public does not care about PYV's and are not A.net members.

What airline month after month has the highest load factors in the industry? Hint, they are not an LCC nor do they have PTV's.

cainanuk

Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:37 pm

Personally, I would rather they dont install them (PTV's), save the money and pass the savings on to the consumer (aka: ME).
Cainan Cornelius

alphascan

Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:58 pm

Its not the PTVs that should have WN nervous about going head to head with B6. Its the extra legroom, leather seats, assigned seating and better in-flight service at the same price that should have them worried.
"To he who only has a hammer in his toolbelt, every problem looks like a nail."

goingboeing

Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:18 am

Its not the PTVs that should have WN nervous about going head to head with B6. Its the extra legroom, leather seats, assigned seating and better in-flight service at the same price that should have them worried.

Are you talking about Southwest or Jetblue????? Extra legroom? Southwest has it in every row. Leather seats - check....interiors are being refitted. On my last several Southwest flights, I've had far more of the leather seats than not. Assigned seating? Once again, I ask the question that nobody has ever bothered to answer...How much more comfortable is a center seat that has been assigned than a center seat that was not assigned? Better in flight service? Does blue potato chips constitute better inflight service? Try serving drinks on a full 737, and then asking if anyone wants a refill....on a one hour flight.

No...if anything, Jetblue should worry a bit because they DON'T offer something that Southwest does...high frequency of service.

TomFoolery

Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:21 am

I could picture it now...

3 words:
PAY
PER
VIEW!

just like the airfones!

TF
Paper makes an airplane fly