BMIFlyer
Topic Author

Photo Taking Banned Since 9/11 In The US?

Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:16 am

Hi Guys, I was on my way home from BNA to MAN on Tuesday and had the occasion to pass thru ORD.

After disembarking the SkyWest CRJ at Gate F12 I proceeded into the Lounge and when I got onto the top level I decided to take a photo of the aircraft as it was parked on the ramp.

I was immediately stopped by a member of security who informed me it was illegal and my camera would be confiscated if I persisted  Sad

I then spoke to a member of the Chicago PD later on who confirmed that photo taking is not allowed. However, i have taken photos at various U.S airports since 9/11 without problems.

If photo taking is now illegal, why don't they at least put notices up informing us enthusiasts of this??

Comments Welcome!

Thanks

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

RareBear

RE: Photo Taking Banned Since 9/11 In The US?

Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:19 am

Lee,

There are about as many scenarios on this as there are airports. Some have no problem with picture taking, others throw a fit. I agree that there should be signs posted if it is not permitted. Best to ask first before you take photos in U.S. airports.
Illegitimus non carborundum

UAL Bagsmasher

Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:21 am

ORD has always been anal about photo taking even before 9-11.

ChrisZRH

Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:31 am

hmm... i've experienced such things only in Africa before.....
Christian Galliker - AirTeamImages

Dazed767

Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:47 am

Who was it, TSA? There is no law against it, maybe some airports don't like it. Do a search in the photo forum, you'll find hundreds of posts on this. And no, they can't take your camera.

trnswrld

RE: How High Have You Been In An Aircraft?

Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:49 am

I was at ORD just last week and had my camera out and took some pictures. I wasnt hassled at all.

JGPH1A

Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:50 am

Never had a problem at BOS, MHT, DEN, CVG, PHL, PIT, JFK, MCO, GSO all the times I've taken pics. Probably just an isolated control freak incident.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

InnocuousFox

Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:32 am

Add SJC, OMA and LAX to the list of places where no one has hassled me.

Sounds like someone had rectal wood.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

gigneil

Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:35 am

And no, they can't take your camera

Try and stop them. They can and will, and they'll make up any reason they wish to not return it.

N

adriaticus

Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:38 am

This is lunatic. Not long ago, I was stopped from taking a picture from Gate A7 @ MIA. However, the security guard told me that I couldn't take it from the gate, but I could take it from the hallway that leads to the terminal building instead. I am glad, as it resulted a much better spot.

I agree with the signage proposal. Like when you are in line at the security post and you see tons of signs prohibiting "talking about, making references or even jokes" about weapons and other items.

__Ad.
A300/18/19/20/21 B721/2 B732/3/G/8 B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 DC8/9/10 MD11 TU134/154 IL62/86 An24 SA340/2000 E45/90

rdu777

Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:55 am

I went up to ORD during spring break to take photos. I took off from RDU around 6:20 and made it to ORD by 7/8ish I believe. From then on I took pictures in Terminal 2 at the end of the pier until around 11:30, when I went to get my room at the Hilton. I had no problems that day. The next day I got to the same location around 12:00 and my plane didn't depart till 6:30, so I had plenty of time. I made it for about two hours and then a man working the counter for United Express told me to put it away. I did so, that way not to attract attention to myself. That was the end of it. I sat there and watched planes for the other 4.5 hours. So if your lucky they will just tell you to put it away, but I guess it also has to do with who it is.

Spike

Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:00 am

So what will they do about camera phones? The US has truely gone insane now. Best avoid the place imho.

NWA742

Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:03 am

The US has truely gone insane now. Best avoid the place imho.

Because ORD has some employees that are anal about photos, you think the US has truely gone insane, and that people should avoid us.

Boy, you sound smart.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Vorticity

Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:05 am

Try and stop them. They can and will, and they'll make up any reason they wish to not return it.

LOL, yes you are probably right. Even if they are wrong, I'd say there's good money you could lose your camera. You can't always win, I'd say comply if someone hassles you about it. I took pictures at HOU, DFW, EFD, and CID recently without problems.

In my experience, not all security staff/ police have the same understanding of the rules. I've known some to have imagined policies. Unfortunate

So what will they do about camera phones? The US has truely gone insane now. Best avoid the place imho.

Where I work camera phones are forbidden, as all things that take pictures. Hopefully it won't ever come to the point where places like airports forbid them as well. No the US hasn't gone insane, just a few places. Don't judge us all on one security guard  Big grin

[Edited 2004-06-09 20:06:57]
Thermodynamics and english units don't mix...

JOSEMEX

Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:14 am

I was stopped from taking pictures of two DL 767's which were parked at the tarmac at ACA, while waiting to board a flight last month.

A week later I spent a couple of hours taking pictures from my gate at MEX, and no one said a thing (MEX having a lot more traffic than ACA).

Sometimes I fear the guys who are in charge don't even know themselves what their own rules are regarding picture taking.

nucsh

Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:15 am

I dont know of a single place in the US where its illegal to take pictures of ANYTHING, no doubt aircraft. Any officer or security guard who may threaten you with arrest or comfiscation is surely ignorant/incompitent of the TRUE rules and laws, or is just not tolerant of our hobby. They could also be thinking that they could've of just stopped the next "9/11" by having you quit with the pictures. Trust me, someone SOMEWHERE has had that for a reason of such intolerance.  Nuts

All you can do is bite your tongue and comply though. They can and WILL take away your camera if so provoked by a resounding no from the "perp".  Yeah sure
If landing is about "kissing" the ground, you just about raped it.

7e72004

Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:16 am

I had no problems whatsoever taking pictures in IND and TPA a couple of weeks ago. Granted i have had some stare at me when taking the pictures but they just don't understand out enthusiasm for this hobby  Big thumbs up
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

thomasphoto60

Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:11 am

I am usually all over the map, including ORD at lease twice a month and like some here I enjoy taking a few snaps of the tarmac, planes, ect..and I have yet to be approached anywhere. Incidents like these sound like nothing more than power trips on the part of some low-level, low paid rent-a-cop who has dreams of grander. Granted some airport authorities may put in place rules prohibiting photography. If in doubt check with a given airport's website and e-mail them and as some just mentioned here, check this or the photography forum.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

b757300

Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:28 am

Incidents like these sound like nothing more than power trips on the part of some low-level, low paid rent-a-cop who has dreams of grander. Granted some airport authorities may put in place rules prohibiting photography.

Hehe, rent-a-cop. Sadly, that is usually what it is. Some idiot thinks that they're preventing a terrorist attack by stopping the "evil photographer".

The only airport I know that actually has rules against taking pictures on airport property is CLL (my home). The idiots who run the airport think they’re some special terrorist target and don’t want people taking pictures. Of course they won’t post signs telling the public of this. Their logic is “if we post signs for everything, people won’t pay attention to any sign thus defeating the purpose.”
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

L-188

Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:49 am

The fact that happened in Chicago doesn't surprise me.

The government there has a history of unsurping people's rights.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Coronado990

Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:02 am

the worst part is most Americans don't see it coming.

Anybody that has read "1984" should see this coming. Security is always the reason for losing your rights. How can you argue against it?

I can understand not being able to photograph if the airport has military operations on the field. This is usually the case in poorer third world countries that cannot afford to have separate military and commercial airports and I can understand that. But here in the U.S., there is no excuse but to be a reactionary turd.
Uncle SAN at your service!

Mriya

Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:04 am

At ORD, I've had the least trouble. I've taken tons of photos there, and the only complaint I've gotten was from a Mexicana employee who spoke to me in Spanish. I just went to the next gate and snapped away. Over there, I think the general consensus is that photographing the planes is okay (I did ask a few people, they ok'd it) but you never know who you'll run into who's having a bad day. This was all in the international terminal.

EWR has rules against photographing planes. You can't, unless you get permission from... the port authority, I think it is (corrections welcome).
Currently not active in aviation photography or this site. Thank you for your interest.

kaitak

Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:29 am

What I've always found scariest about this is not just the inconvenience of it for enthusiasts, but the fact that it proves that security is unfocused. This really is a very good test of airport security and whether they are actually thinking or just strutting about, making rules and ticking boxes. We need more than just goons saying "camera bad", etc. As enthusiasts, we also fly more than the average person and like all travellers, we deserve to feel secure; that's the whole point of security and it certainly doesn't make me feel more secure if security thugs are intimidating photographers in the name of that security. THINK, THINK, THINK - that's how terrorists are challenged and stopped, not by mindless idiocy like this.

Mriva mentions EWR and its rules against photography: you've got to ask - what have they learned. In what aspect of what those animals did on 9/11 did photography feature. Even the dimmest of security people must know that people will take photos of aircraft, one way or another. They can either focus resources on stopping this, OR take an intelligent approach, get to understand it and provide a place where it can be done without harassment. Really, it's not rocket science. Focus thought, focus resources on WHAT THE THREAT ACTUALLY IS, not what certain morons think it is or should be.

I would always try and obtain some legal statement, i.e. from your lawyer, for example, or a statement from the TSA, to back you up - if challenged.

AvObserver

Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:16 am

"EWR has rules against photographing planes. You can't, unless you get permission from... the port authority, I think it is (corrections welcome)."

Is this only since 9/11? I took quite a few shots out the windows (at airplanes) in the terminal by Continental before a fall '99 trip and wasn't bothered. Is this posted, also? I don't recall seeing any signs banning photographs back then. If there are no signs in evidence specifically saying so, I can't see how this is enforceable. I would definitely ask to see such a regulation on paper and ask for a rationale, if it wasn't posted. To me, such a stipulation without a clearly posted notification seems like an infringement on civil liberties. Just last summer, I took a bunch of shots at JFK and Heathrow and last fall, at the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport. I wasn't bothered at those airports, either. I'd definitely avoid doing it if there were clear warnings that it was banned but if not, it seems ridiculous, especially since I only take shots of airplanes, not anything INSIDE the terminal. I'll have to check for this at Newark on the 28th when I leave for Seattle. A lot of this post 9/11 stuff seems like paranoid nonsense to me. I think this is a bit different than with corporate policies that clearly prohibit photography on their premises for sound reasons of information security or safety issues regarding cameras, these bans are quite understandable.

ltbewr

Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:39 am

There are substantual inconsintancies - especially in the USA - from airport to airport as to photography inside airport terminals, onto airport properties, taking pictures from terminals of the ramp and runway areas. I would say it is a universial you cannot take pictures of any security/TSA checkpoints, customs and immigration. As to other areas, this is probably due to the not unreasonable fear of someone someone trying to gather information on the security details and patterns at certain areas of airports. The non-TSA private security Guards are probably told the simpilest line and told to not allow any photography. Police whom are at the airports have their orders too and from their experience probably would rather err on the side of restricting the use of cameras. It is too bad the paranoia of the TSA, some police and some airport authorities cannot come up with well posted and consistant policies that wouldn't hurt the casual traveler or a/c enthusiest.

BritPilot777

Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:53 am

I have always had problems with taking photos, whether its outside looking at aircraft, or even within the terminal building,
following airports i've been stopped at for taking pictures, (just US)

IAD
DTW
MCO
ORD
EWR
DFW
MIA
SAN
Finnaly LAX
Forever Flight

N754PR

Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:59 am

When a country goes around the world talking about freedom you have to laugh when they say in their own country taking picrtures of aircraft is against the law  Nuts

We all know its not, its just stupid security/police that think they are god.
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

AvObserver

Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:03 am

EXCEPTIONAL POINT, N754PR! Thank you for that gratifying observation!  Big thumbs up

N754PR

Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:07 am

No problem, more than happy to help  Innocent
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

NIKV69

Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:07 am

This is ridiculous! There can't be any law against taking pictures of aircraft. As long as you are not in a restricted area. I have taken photos at a lot of airports and never have encountered this, once at IFP I was given a hard time but I stood my ground and they couldn't do shit. This is America damn it. Give me a break and how can they can take your camera? This is lunacy!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Aaron747

Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:50 am

Nobody's taking my fucking camera and I'll take pictures when I damn well please.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

PHLapproach

Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:52 am

NIKV69>>> This is America damn it

Don't you just love how people say we are trying to defend our freedom and that we have freedom (Be Proud), yet it's slowly being taken away. THERE is not a single law on camera's (yes, they are trying to ban them on the Subway system in NYC), some may disagree with me but go ahead and get a brochure or pamphlet then scan where it says no photography then send it to me. I bet you wouldn't be able to cause there is no FREAKIN' LAW ON THIS! If there was it would have to be a reg and rule of the TSA (because they over see ALL security procedures at most American airports), it's just people get on their POWER TRIPS. People over using their power has been going on for ages. I'm sure most of you saw that big post on PHL and how the a particular cop gave us a load of crap. I'm getting absolutely sick of this, I'm going to FLL and MIA for some spotting on my vacation in about a week and If some one says something to me. I WILL REFUSE to put my camera away or stop shooting (Most of the time they say put it away ON PUBLIC PROPERTY), Lock me up. I do not care one bit, Maybe this would finally make the news and make way for our RIGHT to PHOTOGRAPH! Headline: 16 yr old boy gets jailed for taking photographs. MUAHAHAHA

I told my friend which is a PHL controller about the PHL guys and I being hassled for taking photos. He thought that was absurd and completely ridiculous. She (The cop) said Tower called her over. He said it was a load of BS, he was working for a bit on Tower that day and even if he was working a different position when we got busted he would have heard something from somebody else which he didn't.

[Edited 2004-06-10 03:55:57]

NIKV69

Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:56 am

I agree, I will continue to take pictures, they will have to pry my camera "From my cold dead hand!"

Charlton Heston eat your heart out!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

ifly2eat

Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:57 am

"Thank god for Europe the real land of the free."

"When a country goes around the world talking about freedom you have to laugh when they say in their own country taking picrtures of aircraft is against the law."

"The US has truely gone insane now. Best avoid the place."

Just a brief illustration of the idiots that post on this site.
Fly the friendly skys and stay out of mine.

BA747400

Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:10 am

I was just recently at MHT spotting, and went expecting a hassle. However, I was not approached once!

I refuse to let someone stop me from enjoying the thing I love the most: Aviation. Although the terrorist attacks have changed the way we live, it was Pres. Bush who said that we should go on with our daily lives....That is what I plan to do. My intentions are good, and even if they weren't, there NOTHING I could gain from taking a picture of an aircraft.

Although I do not agree with many of aviations new laws and restrictions, I DO respect authority; should an officer ask me to stop taking pictures I will. But until then, I will not let a few terrorists take away the number one thing that makes me happy....afterall this IS the land of the free.

Happy spotting,
Regards,
Mike

Jalto27R

Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:12 am

I am looking at this from a legal perspective. If we aren't on private property, and we are parked legally on a state owned road, they can't do a thing. I live around PHL and all my research has turned nothing up on what that cop was claiming. There is no law in the state of Pennsylvania regarding scanning for one thing. As for photography, she claimed that we were allowed to watch but we couln't shoot pictures or use binoculars. If one more person says that to me I will laugh. They can't lock me up, lawsuits are a trend now-a-days. Also, PHL itself has no established law on photography and scanning. So I am set.

Mike

AvObserver

Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:18 am

Just out of curiousity, I wonder exactly what would happen if one of us vigorously resisted our camera being confiscated. How far can airport security go in this matter? Not that I intend to try it, just wondering.

adriaticus

Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:00 pm

<< the worst part is most Americans don't see it coming.

Anybody that has read "1984" should see this coming. Security is always the reason for losing your rights. How can you argue against it?
>>

And just what percentage of US citizens do you think have ever read "1984"??

Me... I saw it coming since the ugly guy said "whoever is not with us is against us"... Funnily enough, Hitler said pretty much the same thing in a discourse before the Reichstag in 1934

This is lunatic. People seem not to notice how slowly but steadily their liberties are being taken away by the US government. Just a few days ago, there was a very interesting discussion here in the forum about the US govt. making it illegal to fly in Aerocontinente...

<http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1599313

So much for the land of the free... It doesn't look like it a whole lot these days... I whonder how it is going to look like in a little more...

__Ad.
A300/18/19/20/21 B721/2 B732/3/G/8 B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 DC8/9/10 MD11 TU134/154 IL62/86 An24 SA340/2000 E45/90

gigneil

Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:09 pm

Just a brief illustration of the idiots that post on this site.

What? They're right. I feel myself becoming less free with every passing day.

N

JohnJ

Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:12 pm

"The US has truely gone insane now. Best avoid the place imho."

Spike, I was instructed by a rather unpleasant little man at Heathrow in April to stop taking pictures out the window of the terminal. So it's not just the US that's gone insane... and I also seem to recall signs to the effect of "spotting strictly forbidden" on the roof of Heathrow Terminal 3 parking garage.

planemannyc

Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:25 pm

I always write to the airport authorities before flying to or through an airport on my trips.

Of course, given my background, I do take the precautions. I wrote an article about the topic here on a.net. http://www.airliners.net/articles/read.main?id=56

I have received emails confirming that there are no restrictions (except around customs, immigrations, and security) at the following airports:

FLL
JFK
EWR
LGA
SFO
LAX (they even gave me pointers on good spotting locations)
LAS (here as well)
IAH
MSY
DFW
DEN
DTW

So far, the only time I was questioned was FLL and EWR (as in the story), and some security guy at JFK wanted me to get a more up-to-date letter from the Port Authority (which was easy to get and a NYPD officer had no problem with the email the following week). I was on a flight from LAX to JFK recently, and took a lot of photos on arrival -- and the F/As got nervous (story of my life) and called the captain upon landing at JFK. When he asked me what I was doing, I began my long story on planespotting (and was insisting on showing my plane photos to him), he quickly said, "Ok, ok" and ran back towards the cockpit!

Thus far, other than my native Bangladesh and the UAE, I have not encountered too many problems around the globe, with Europe having the most accommodating countries.

Best,

Wasim / Planemannyc

[Edited 2004-06-10 05:37:10]

asuflyer05

Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:44 pm

It is not so much that spotting is illegal as in breaking a law illegal, but in violating the security policy of an individual airport. That's why you see so many pictures from PHX and few from EWR, but more from LGA. Each facility has a different policy and procedure on photography.

The reason why your "fun" activity is deemed suspicious is because from 1000 feet away, a police officer cannot tell whether you are surveying perimeter fences, security operations, or airplanes landing. Another reason why spotters are approached by police, TSA, and airline employees is because all onpremise employees must challenge anyone they feel is suspicious. If you work for the FAA and are doing a security audit, when I walk past you and don't challenge your behavior, I could lose my job. Are there renta-cops out there who are on power trips? Sure I don't doubt it. But most are pretty good people just trying to do their job and keep aircraft safe.

I posted a quote from a TSA spokesperson who said there is no such federal law prohibiting photography from inside terminals, as long as you are not taking pictures of security operations, etc.

From a legal perspective, we discussed some of your concerns in a class I took last semester. According to my notes, I don't believe they can confiscate your camera unless you are being charged or will be charged with a crime and it is evidence of a crime.

I am looking at this from a legal perspective. If we aren't on private property, and we are parked legally on a state owned road, they can't do a thing

If you were to sit on the side of the state-owned highway taking pictures of passing cars, you would probably get a ticket for stopping in a no-stopping zone.

Matt

tungd

Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:46 pm

As a former major-network t.v. videojournalist (who gave up the frustrating career just prior to 9/11), the "simple" rule in the U.S. is that you can legally take pictures (or video) of anyone or anything within eyesight as long as you and your equipment are physically located on public property, or on private property with the owner's permission. What constitutes "public" property, though, is somewhat hazy.

Even before 9/11, public airport authorities had total control over what happens inside their property lines, thus turning public property into private property (schools, prisons, and military bases are the same). You have to abide by their rules, even if you're an employee of a legitimate media outlet on standard assignment. If you're on "their" property and they tell you to stop taping (or taking pictures), you must abide. NEVER argue with the people telling you to stop, as you'll most likely end with your equipment confiscated and/or in jail. It's the same as arguing with the cop who gives you a speeding ticket. Take your case to the highest management or to court (though you'll probably miss your flight!). If you're a "regular person" taking pictures at the gate, you have less of a chance of winning your case than an accredited media representative would (as long as they like you or your network).

I guess the point is, if you're told to stop taking pictures while on airport property, swallow your pride (and your freedom) and put your camera away. Take the case to court if you feel it's justified.

If, however, you are along a public roadway just outside the perimeter fence and taking pics of planes landing and taking off, and a cop comes up and tells you pictures aren't allowed, he's completely lying. He could cite you for obstructing traffic or something, but argue with him at your own risk.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:50 pm

I was stuck at SEA for an extra 2 hours because of a delay last sunday and I spent the whole time taking pictures from the north Terminal. No one hassled me.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ckfred

Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:03 pm

I've taken pictures at both ATL and SEA with no problems. On the other hand, in March of 2002, I took a bunch of pictures of AA's Retro 757. I think the security people at the gate saw me doing this, because I got pulled out of the boarding line for extra screening.

Arcano

Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:06 pm

Maybe I was dreaming, but I remember been at Paris (CDG) in 2001 (before 9-11).
I was at E terminal and I wanted to take a photo of the terminal interior, but I remember I didn't because of a sign that banned it.
Am I crazy? I'm almost sure this is why I didn't get my photo.
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

northwestair

Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:16 pm

When we use to Ramp Board our A/C in OKC we would have a ton of Passengers that would take pictures of the ARJ (RJ85) cause they said it was cool looking and they had never seen an A/c like it before. You would have passengers taking pictures of each other while walking up the airstairs. We even took some of the pictures for Families that were flying.
I don't care who you fly just as long as you fly

freshlove1

Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:30 pm

If you get stopped from taking pictures of aircraft by a "rent-a-cop" go with the flow and kindly ask the cop his name, badge number and who his supervisor is. Don't get all up in his face about it just get his info and then make a simple phone call to his supervisor to get a clear explaination of what you can and can't do.

warren747sp

Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:33 pm

It's sad when USA is behaving like the PRC.
747SP

dl021

Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:51 pm

Has anyone thought of asking airport authorities someplace, or th TSA if there are any laws regarding airplane photography inside of airports? You see cameras every day in airports and I take pictures around the country of different airliners I find interesting (got a decent on of Spirit of Delta and the DC-3 in Salt Lake two weeks ago) and have never been hassled by anyone.

The simplest thing to do if a security guard or policeman gives you a hard time is to politely comply with their request then ask to for their name and the name of the rule you have broken...if they can't or won't name it...ask to speak with their supervisor. It is completely within your rights to politely ask for these things, and you will be amazed at the effect they have on people who are going a little overboard.

SOmetimes transportation workers get a security brief and are told that security is everyones concern, so be proactive! Well the occasional person acts like a 15 year old lifeguard at the pool with their first whistle. DO not get indignant, just get to the bottom of things. If you are going to take a trip to shoot photos, call ahead to the airport if you are really concerned and as for clarification of the rules.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?