andrewmorrell

Air Patrols Over DC During Reagan Funeral?

Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:56 am

Hi all...

I live in Alexandria, VA, directly across the river from Washiington DC, and during an afternoon run today, I continued to hear a familiar sound - jet engines almost criss-crossing at about 15,000 feet or so.

As this is the week of former President Reagan's funeral, does anyone know of the resumption of temporary military patrols?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
Go Blue!!!

TomFoolery

RE: Air Patrols Over DC During Reagan Funeral?

Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:01 am

I understand that those are fly-overs and other associated stuff for the funeral events, and not necessarily patrols. On the other hand, there are a lot of dignitaries in town, and nothing can be ruled out.

Regards,
TF
Paper makes an airplane fly

exPratt

Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:57 am

The 21-plane fly over was yesterday as Reagan's body was being taken to the Capitol building. There was a news item that there may be some air patrols. Since that KingAir penetrated restricted air space yesterday prompting an evacuation of the Capitol, they may have decided to put up a fighter cap. There is also a Coast Guard cutter in river.

scottysair

Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:59 am

Is that everything is okay yesterday and is that no problems with the funeral services outside of DC?

concord977

Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:07 am

Hey, Andrew!

There have been quite a few flyover patrols yesterday and today. There are some F-16s around 15,000 ft. and there are some KC-135 aircraft circling wide around DC. You may have notice quite a few u-shaped contrails at 2:00pm this afternoon.

(this has nothing to do with the commemorative flyby of the 21 F-15s that happened as part of the ceremony).

I am attending the funeral tomorrow and will be inside the National Cathedral. I am expecting the aerial protection to be quite high at that time. It should be interesting!

Curt
No info

FlyingColours

Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:09 am

I was watching the cortage live last night (midnight UK time) and when I first hear the fighters my heart missed a few beats. After the first few went past they decided to inform us that there was a flypast, and the cameraman tried to film some go by (he managed to get the last group).

I heard about the king air, at least everything went smoothly.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

andrewmorrell

Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:46 am

Thanks for the clarity Curt... I heard the flyovers yesterday (the F15's @3,000 feet in formation).

These sounded like patrols, though I was foolishly running in the stifling heat today and was concentrating on not passing out, so I didn't see the contrails...

Thansk again - hope all's well...

Andrew
Go Blue!!!