UALAX
Topic Author

Compromise Plan For LAX

Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:17 pm

It looks like the Mayor has agreed to defer the plan to demolish the central parking area, terminals 1-3 and build the offsite terminal to further review. In the compromise plan, the consolidated rental car facility, elevated tram, and I believe additional gates for the Bradley terminal will be in the first phase. My question is more of a logistics question, how exactly can they put in an elevated tram in the airport without tearing down some of the parking structures? The central area seems so crowded, that I would think a underground tram system, though more expensive would be less instrusive. Thanks.

WesternDC1010

RE: Compromise Plan For LAX

Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:20 am

My guess would be to build a 3rd level (above the second level roadway) to facilitate the tram track. That would entail demolishing the catwalks between the parking structures and the terminals. I think an underground tram would be costly and would disrupt the lower level traffic. Anyone remember the traffic disruptions and confusion in the early 80's when the second level roadway was put in? Not to mention the earthquake retrofitting of the roadway level support structure that went on in the 90's.

My question is, where would the additional gates be located at the Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Would there be gates put along the backside facing west and the two taxiways be relocated west? This would encroach upon the old Trans World hangar, the original American hangar (pre 1961) and the American Eagle gates. I'd suggest to get rid of the old TWA hangar. Is it really needed at LAX?

Just my .02 cents.

- Ron
Western DC-10-10
Western Airlines - The Only Way To Fly

thunder9

Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:27 pm

>> Would there be gates put along the backside facing west and the two taxiways be relocated west?

Ron,

Back in the late 80's & early 90's when I worked @ LAX, the rumors about TBIT expansion was precisely along these lines. Of course, two new taxiways have already been built and operating west of the CO/TW hangars for a couple of years now.

The current taxiways (locally called the 50 yard line) running behind TBIT would be closed. Gates would be added on the west side of the terminal, and the west most of the two original parallel 50 yard line taxiways would be for planes entering or exiting the new gate area, which of course would comprise that area which is currently the easternmost of the parallel 50 yard line taxiways. Whew, how's that for a run-on sentence?  Smile

-J
"Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smite thee." - William Kershner

WesternDC1010

Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:10 am

>>Gates would be added on the west side of the terminal, and the west most of the two original parallel 50 yard line taxiways would be for planes entering or exiting the new gate area, which of course would comprise that area which is currently the easternmost of the parallel 50 yard line taxiways.<<

I certainly hope that the concourses and gate areas (Gates 101-112 and Gates 113 - 123) would be widened. They are a bit narrow as it is only serving one side.

http://www.lawa.org/lax/htmlmaps/termaprint.html

- Ron
Western DC-10-10

Western Airlines - The Only Way To Fly